Got my eye screen test results back

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so last week I had my first eye screening test...whilst I was there the nurse showed me the images and said there’s tiny little bleeds which would most likely go away by the time I have my next test in a years time.....

So I received my letter today and it says ‘your test result Showed some background retinopathy’ but I don’t need any treatment as my vision is not affected..... I understand what it is but is that what the bleeds may have been in the images?

Can this be reversed? as I’ve reversed my diabetes and sticking to a healthy diet with exercise.
If it’s an early stage can it go away?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had background retinopathy when first diagnosed and for the first 2 eye screenings .. the last 2 screenings have come back with no retinopathy so yes I think it can be reversed.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The tiny bleeds is the background retinopathy, yes......and they can get better........the tiny spots are most likely to be swelling of the vessels as opposed to a rupture and blood leaking out....

ultimately if you keep levels stable and blood pressure good, you can go through life with no effect to your vision at all...

Dark Horse

Background retinopathy indicates mild damage due to diabetes and does not affect your sight or need any treatment. It can include microaneurysms (small bulges on the capillaries which appear as small red dots) and haemorrhages (small flecks of blood which have leaked out of the capillary). There is a good explanation of background retinopathy here:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

If someone has poor diabetic control, the retinopathy may progress to a stage where it does start to affect vision. However, good control of blood glucose and blood pressure reduces the chance of this. As @Rachox says, some people find that with continued good diabetic control,t heir background retinopathy seems to clear up. Any bleeds seen this year will be gone by next year but individual microaneurysms usually take a few years to disappear. Even if improved control means you have no new diabetic retinopathy, it could be a few years before this is reflected in your screening results.

Reactions: Rachox

Jessielouiseb

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Background retinopathy indicates mild damage due to diabetes and does not affect your sight or need any treatment. It can include microaneurysms (small bulges on the capillaries which appear as small red dots) and haemorrhages (small flecks of blood which have leaked out of the capillary). There is a good explanation of background retinopathy here:- http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/back_diabetic_retinopathy.html

If someone has poor diabetic control, the retinopathy may progress to a stage where it does start to affect vision. However, good control of blood glucose and blood pressure reduces the chance of this. As @Rachox says, some people find that with continued good diabetic control,t heir background retinopathy seems to clear up. Any bleeds seen this year will be gone by next year but individual microaneurysms usually take a few years to disappear. Even if improved control means you have no new diabetic retinopathy, it could be a few years before this is reflected in your screening results.
Thanks for all the information

Reactions: Dark Horse