What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice. Some of those ideas sound yummy! My only problem might be the electric plates I cook on. They don't seem to get pans screaming hot. But I'll try.

Just turn them up as hot as they'll go, and keep the "rice" moving, as you would in any stir-fry.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Off to my daughter’s for dinner this evening, she’s doing something with chicken thighs she says is low carb so I’m looking forward to that. I’ve to bring the wine she says!
This morning just CWC
Lunch was tuna mayo and avocado on 2 slices of the defrosted Dr Almond black bread then lazy mousse.
@Rachox I’m so glad to hear your OH is up and about after yesterday’s trauma. What a horrible thing to happen but thank heavens for helmets.
@PenguinMum you have a lovely birthday weekend approaching by the sound of it ( I know what you mean about being told not to lift a finger though) I used to have Saag Paneer at our Indian restaurant but the last time I had it, it was different and v sweet. Big shot up even though I only had a few mouthfuls. A real shame, now it’s just boring chicken tikka. Even the yoghurty dip thing is sweet now.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea to have egg mayo with little gem leaves - I will DEFINITELY steal that idea - I love egg mayo!!!

Good luck with the Indian takeaway. I'll be very interested in what you have and how your BGs react to it. Pre-D I used to love an occasional Indian takeaway but haven't had any since low carbing (at least I don't think I have).

Today.....

Breakfast: Toby Carvery breakfast buffet (far too much, but I do love their sausages)

Lunch: a taste of many different cheeses at a quiet Waitrose deli counter (my excuse is that a very nice counter 'colleague' / assistant virtually forced them on me) - ended up buying half a dozen different wedges so it will be a cheesey week

Dinner: Rotisserie pork with salads

Drinks: Black decaff coffee x 3, Diet Pepsi (yuck), Pepsi Max (double yuck), lots and lots of water (the Pepsi made me thirsty), a cup of decaff Yorkshire Tea with skimmed milk (in Costa) and another decaff cuppa in Waitrose and, later on, a glass or three of red wine

It could only happen to me... we stopped at a reasonably local Morrison's to get a few bits we'd forgotten at Waitrose only to find they've changed the store around so we were struggling to find anything. (Weirdly they had put 'home and lifestyle' section right through the middle of the store but had hidden the eggs and other basics.) So we finally found a man filling shelves and I politely asked where they'd hidden the eggs and on seeing he was wearing a tie I explained my problem with the stupid new layout. What the District Manager was doing fiddling with the bloomin' shelves, I really don't know but after a good 20 minutes conversation with him (AND the Store Manager joined us) they both thanked us and said it had been 'enlightening'. Not entirely sure what he meant by that. Mr C reckons it was a polite way of saying that I was being a PITA. :shifty::meh:
Those Waitrose deli counter folk always force feed me cheese however much I struggle, so I fully sympathise.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
used to have Saag Paneer at our Indian restaurant
I dont actually like paneer but love saag. Usually have the dry chicken tikka and cauli bhajee. The chicken is too much and cooked in one big piece so not that flavoursome qhen cut into bite size so I am pushing the boat out with Tandoori king prawns and need to stay well away from the popadoms sadly. Doesnt always happen especially after a drink but I do pay the price otherwise. @Chook will let you know how it works out.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B=tea; Brunch/NE1 was small piece of cheddar. NE2 was 2 xtra large flaxseed crackers as a sandwich with cheese, h/m mayo and cucumber followed by Fage 5% and 10 cal jelly. Lots of tea and Naproxen. Not sure if anything is "safe" but NE3 was chocolate Hotel chocolate 2 x 85% batons (limit of what I can stand but need using) and Green and Blacks , 2 rows, Raspberry and hazelnut (which I do like). Hope you all enjoyed the day in the sun.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmm - my psoriasis has been a LOT worse and I got sunburned and peeled which is unusual (the peeling that is). If anything my diet is less carbiferous than it was (still having issues with DP). Apart from that, no, can't think of anything.

Could you be vitamin D3 deficient?
That always makes me burn easily. Also has wide reaching effects on immune system.

And are you having adequate K2? I mean plenty of it?
Without K2 the body makes a lot less use out of Vit D?

Or could the skin burning (it is a burning reaction to radiation damage, after all) have triggered your immune system to over react?

Or, if you are eating less carb, what have you replaced it with? There’s a chance you are now overloading your system with something now that triggers a food intolerance reaction.

I must say I get bored to tears with the checks and balances I have to monitor with my own supplements, lifestyle, environment and diet. I dislike having to suggest that you may need to do the same. :(. Sorry

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing day wonderful sunshine
@Rachox feel for you it must have been a terrifying phone call and rush to the scene - would imagine played havoc with bgs and really wishing mr R all the best for his recovery
@PenguinMum your birthday weekend sounds like fun and at least you’ve given blood already for hbaca1!
@DJC3 hope evening at daughters is enjoyable - sure the wine will help.
@Chook feel for you you seem to be having a range of health issues just now
@Brunneria felt for you with your puppy story
@gennepher hope the weather is better for you this weekend I must admit to loving the sun and am currently out in garden sitting in the last rays hopefully converting my ldl cholesterol into vit D ready for my lipids next Friday!
@ianpspurs envy you the Waitrose ours is miles away so usually do online but you miss out on the bargains the free tea and coffee and tastings and reductions.
@zauberflote feel for you re your caring responsibilities - do take care of yourself and visit your forum friends as often as you can
@Goonergal looks like an amazing time in NY
Brunch two egg mushroom omelette cooked with advocado oil
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, roastedradishes in advocado oil and asparagus with white wine flavoured soda followed by a few home grown berries, sf jelly and yoghurt.
Wishing everyone a great weekend whatever you are planning.

Viv19

No breakfast. Tea
Lunch. Lc roll toasted with cheese. (What else ) nuts CWC, yoghurt and berries.
Tea
Cwc
Bbq. I had ratatouille, coleslaw, 2chicken skewers and some tomato salad with mozzarella. Some good red wine.
Bedtime bg is 5.8!!!!!!!!! Can’t believe it. A glimpse of the 5s.
Must be the canine effect.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont actually like paneer but love saag. Usually have the dry chicken tikka and cauli bhajee. The chicken is too much and cooked in one big piece so not that flavoursome qhen cut into bite size so I am pushing the boat out with Tandoori king prawns and need to stay well away from the popadoms sadly. Doesnt always happen especially after a drink but I do pay the price otherwise. @Chook will let you know how it works out.

Tandoori king prawns sound like a good bet. Popadoms are so difficult to resist aren’t they?

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Made the cauli kedgeree for dinner - my electric ring did get hot enough - made it with fried onion, smoked mackerel and hard boiled egg. Quite nice. I'll doctor it a bit next time, but the cauli rice worked pretty well. I'll keep experimenting with the cauli now.
Breakfast today was bacon and egg
Lunch was some cold chicken.
No extra carbs today (only whatever was in the cauliflower and onion). BS still higher than it ought to be - seems to be a hangover from the one oatcake last night.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Late again.
Had to nip up to Durham City first thing yesterday morning so mid morning at a Patisserie Valarie - two slices of bacon and two poached eggs. Koffy.

Back from Durham and then over the North Yorkshire Moors to our caravan where we met up with number two son and his family.

Dinner: Salad stuff with Alan Fresco - Sea food platter, ham on the bone (now off and thickly sliced) - things cut into sticks -

Morrisons sell Sobrasada - a spreadable chorizo - great spread on celery and my crackers.

Big mistake - Mrs Miggins bought some cakes at Patisserie Valarie - oops!

@Rachox - sorry to read about your OH. Hope he is back on the road soon.
@PenguinMum - have a great birthday.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late again.
Had to nip up to Durham City first thing yesterday morning so mid morning at a Patisserie Valarie - two slices of bacon and two poached eggs. Koffy.

Back from Durham and then over the North Yorkshire Moors to our caravan where we met up with number two son and his family.

Dinner: Salad stuff with Alan Fresco - Sea food platter, ham on the bone (now off and thickly sliced) - things cut into sticks -

Morrisons sell Sobrasada - a spreadable chorizo - great spread on celery and my crackers.

Big mistake - Mrs Miggins bought some cakes at Patisserie Valarie - oops!

@Rachox - sorry to read about your OH. Hope he is back on the road soon.
@PenguinMum - have a great birthday.

Dunelm, I heard you were taking one for the team, eating @PenguinMum 's birthday cake, to spare her the effort? ;)

The spreadable chorizo sounds interesting. Is it spicy or milder? I'm sprt of wondering, it it'd also make a decent starter for something like a savoury style cauli rice, to add a bit of flavour, and almost certainly colour.

How does it come? Still like a sausage, or like a pate? (In my dreams, in a tube?)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dunelm, I heard you were taking one for the team, eating @PenguinMum 's birthday cake, to spare her the effort? ;)

The spreadable chorizo sounds interesting. Is it spicy or milder? I'm sprt of wondering, it it'd also make a decent starter for something like a savoury style cauli rice, to add a bit of flavour, and almost certainly colour.

How does it come? Still like a sausage, or like a pate? (In my dreams, in a tube?)

A funny for the self inflicted cake bites.

The spreadable chorizo comes in a 200g tub. So like a pate.
Quite mild and the two year old twins, Chaos and Mayhem, gobbled it up on sticks of celery.
It could be improved by mixing some chilli oil into it to make a dip or even to spice up cauli rice. Might even be good to daub over cauli steaks and certainly dropped into stews and soups.
I just wonder if I could just mix some soft cooking chorizo with chilli oil in a blender but at £2 for a 200g tub then probably not worth the trouble.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A funny for the self inflicted cake bites.

The spreadable chorizo comes in a 200g tub. So like a pate.
Quite mild and the two year old twins, Chaos and Mayhem, gobbled it up on sticks of celery.
It could be improved by mixing some chilli oil into it to make a dip or even to spice up cauli rice. Might even be good to daub over cauli steaks and certainly dropped into stews and soups.
I just wonder if I could just mix some soft cooking chorizo with chilli oil in a blender but at £2 for a 200g tub then probably not worth the trouble.

Good idea about the blender option.

I often use (home made) chilli oil with cauli rice, and stir-fries in general, so the blending option, stored in a kilner would be excellent.

A new ingredient is born. Hurrah!

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Could you be vitamin D3 deficient?
That always makes me burn easily. Also has wide reaching effects on immune system.

And are you having adequate K2? I mean plenty of it?
Without K2 the body makes a lot less use out of Vit D?

Or could the skin burning (it is a burning reaction to radiation damage, after all) have triggered your immune system to over react?

Or, if you are eating less carb, what have you replaced it with? There’s a chance you are now overloading your system with something now that triggers a food intolerance reaction.

I must say I get bored to tears with the checks and balances I have to monitor with my own supplements, lifestyle, environment and diet. I dislike having to suggest that you may need to do the same. :(. Sorry

Thank you for your concern and very thoughtful reply.

Basically I haven't got a clue why my joints are hurting so much at the moment. Maybe it's just the 'inevitable wear and tear' as the doctor described it - I did have an extremely active life before the arthritis kicked in so the doctor is probably right. I do take a Vit D3 supplement on the advice of a doctor (when I was working constant nights) and just never stopped taking it. No, I don't take Vit K.

I don't normally burn. Up until I started the Vit D3 I would go red then slowly turn brown, since taking the D3 I just go brown. I actually was told to sunbathe by a Dermatologist I saw for my psoriasis. The strange thing was the sunburn I had last week didn't hurt and it took almost a week for the peeling to start. Same with Mr C.

As for diet - nothing has really changed - I'm just keeping carbs low as possible and not replacing them with anything. Because of the arthritis I'm very sedentary so cutting back further on carbs isn't making me lose weight, just keeping me steady. I'm really insulin resistant and I'm still struggling to get my BGs to a level I'm happy with. I really don't want to go back in the insulin jabs so I don't have a problem with virtually cutting carbs out.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Today...

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and kippers

Lunch: Probably a small portion of cheese

Dinner: BBQ again - steak, h/m lamb koftas, high meat content sausages, courgettes from the garden

Dessert: any ripe strawberries I can find in the garden

Drinks: black decaff coffee, still water, red wine

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's Saturday and I always feel pretty bad on Saturdays - it's the morning after I go to help out with a children's club/class intended to teach them to be respectful of differences between beliefs, ethnic origins or any other thing which might lead to bigotry and prejudice. High aims, but some of the kids are challenging.

Anyway, after the cauli rice yesterday evening my stomach is a mess! I've taken Loperamide to try to get it under control and some co-codamol to try to get my legs working. Only partially successful so far, so lots of tea and eventually a couple of eggs scrambled and the remaining smoked mackerel. That will probably do me for the day. Reminder to me - don't get too hungry later on and fall for the oatcake trap again.