Do not want to lose weight

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having some problems with the high fat part of the low carb diet. Some of the meals end up making me feel sick as I have never been able to eat lots of fat. If I reduce the fat I expect I will lose weight that I don't want to lose. Does anyone have this problem?

Fat comes in many forms. There is plenty in eggs and avocados for example, cheese and other dairy foods, plus nuts. It doesn't have to be fatty meat or tubs of lard.

Reactions: KK123

vhm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I eat low-carb, high-fat (or 'healthy fat'), and because I can't control my portion sizes, I struggle to keep my weight down these days.
Not ideal for me, but hopefully applicable in your case. I eat mainly eggs, almonds, meat and fish, green vegetables and cheese.
Low-carb/Keto, is a good way to lose weight, but if you just adjust the portion sizes, or take in more fat, it should also be a good way to gain weight while keeping your sugars down.
I am still losing weight but don't feel hungry - just the opposite as I feel quite full most of the time. so I will have to try adding more to what I eat as I don't want friends to make comments about beging thin!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Personally, there is only so much fat I can eat also due to absorption issues. So, I make sure I get a lot of protein in the form of animal meats, eggs, some dairy etc in order to maintain. If you are losing weight and losing muscle then I'd say your protein amount is not sufficient to maintain muscle mass. Experimenting with diet is probably the only way you will find what works for you. Good luck, it takes time to work things out.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I am having some problems with the high fat part of the low carb diet. Some of the meals end up making me feel sick as I have never been able to eat lots of fat. If I reduce the fat I expect I will lose weight that I don't want to lose. Does anyone have this problem?
Had similar problem with fat causing indigestion and nausea to start with. I found it best to measure portions of high fat foods and gradually increase them, as tolerance improved, but until recently had not realised the importance of protein. As Tophat1900 said if you are naturally slim your body does not utilise fat well, or store it, so I would recommnd increasing your protein intake. Along with the healthy fats. Since doing this the weight loss is less and some weeks am now gaining a small amount. Still looking for the correct balance but now feeling that on 100ish carbs a day and higher protein am getting there.
Hope this helps and your journey to better health has already started.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am still losing weight but don't feel hungry - just the opposite as I feel quite full most of the time. so I will have to try adding more to what I eat as I don't want friends to make comments about beging thin!
Had that stuffed to the gills feeling all the time on high fat, Since moving to a bit less fat, more protein am a lot more comfortable and I get hungry. Weight is now fluctuating, bit up, bit down. So much better than the constant loss experienced on high fat.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@vhm - As you are discovering some folks can and some can't eat generous amounts of fat in their diet.

One comment I will make is that, for myself, I found if I ate (or eat) too much fat (for me) that my toilet activity would change, in an unleasant way. I resolved this by decreasing the fats a bit, but upping the protein to make up for the calories and nutrition lost in reducing the fat.

It's all about finding your personal balance, which can take time, and patience.

M

Member496333

I found this balance became intuitive in time. I no longer meter what I eat, or think too much about it at all. Partly of course this is because of familiarity with my diet, but also I’m able to trust my appetite entirely. It always seems to make me eat the right foods in the right quantities at the right times, with flatline glucose and without ever gaining or losing a pound. Liberating.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not the eggs, no problem with them, it's avocado that are expensive, and I need them for calories early in the day.

Where are you buying your avocados?! Waitrose is 2 for £2, Tesco £1.75 for 2(ripe) or £1.75 for 4 ripen at home. I bet Aldi or Lidl are even cheaper.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carrefours or Leclerc, occasionally Lidl