Type 1 & the Contraceptive Pill

Becky2804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 23 and I am now 27- last year I decided to go back on the Pill to try and sort out my hormonal acne (I had come off it shortly after being diagnosed as I didn’t want to deal with the side effects of the pill plus the diabetes).

I found that going back on Marvelon cleared up my skin but made my diabetes so so hard to manage. I’d had fairly good control since being diagnosed but after being back on the pill my HB1AC doubled and my blood sugars seemed to be through the roof no matter what I did (even on a low carb diet).

After 6 months I stopped taking Marvelon and my sugars slowly got back to ‘normal’- now they are fine and my HB1AC is back to what it was.

However the acne has returned! My skin seems to be the worst it’s ever been and it’s really getting me down. I’ve tried avoiding gluten and dairy and taking supplements but nothing seems to work.

I just wondered if any women with type 1 have taken the contraceptive pill WITHOUT experiencing increased blood sugars? As I was considering asking my doctor if I can try a different pill (like Dianette) to help my skin- however I know it’s likely that all of them are likely to impact blood sugars due to the hormones

Thankyou

Becky.

Reactions: Becca6510

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you in the UK? And have you considered any other form of contraception?
xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have you asked your doc about other acne options?

jazzyone

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 23 and I am now 27- last year I decided to go back on the Pill to try and sort out my hormonal acne (I had come off it shortly after being diagnosed as I didn’t want to deal with the side effects of the pill plus the diabetes).

I found that going back on Marvelon cleared up my skin but made my diabetes so so hard to manage. I’d had fairly good control since being diagnosed but after being back on the pill my HB1AC doubled and my blood sugars seemed to be through the roof no matter what I did (even on a low carb diet).

After 6 months I stopped taking Marvelon and my sugars slowly got back to ‘normal’- now they are fine and my HB1AC is back to what it was.

However the acne has returned! My skin seems to be the worst it’s ever been and it’s really getting me down. I’ve tried avoiding gluten and dairy and taking supplements but nothing seems to work.

I just wondered if any women with type 1 have taken the contraceptive pill WITHOUT experiencing increased blood sugars? As I was considering asking my doctor if I can try a different pill (like Dianette) to help my skin- however I know it’s likely that all of them are likely to impact blood sugars due to the hormones

Thankyou

Becky.
I took the mini pill for 4years, too old now and don't need it anymore, didn't affect my blood sugars but I did put on a bit of weight.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Topical antibiotics might help.

Reactions: Becky2804

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Will your doc not prescribe the anti-acne tablets - roaccutane, I think? Maybe he feels you'd need referral to a dermatologist for that?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in the UK! And I’ve been told the non-hormonal coil is the best option for contraception xxx
I was on the depo injection for years since I had a miscarriage and it was great, recently in my area though there are some practices that were having trouble getting hold of it so it was changed to Sayana Press which imo is actually better as you don't need an appointment for it as its self administered every 13 weeks so I actually prefer it xx

Reactions: Becky2804

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Becky!
I understand when you talk about acne/ skin issues. The pill that I was on really helped my skin but I was bleeding continuously for 2 months so under the doctors orders, I had to stop. My gp at the time said there isn’t much of a reason for me to be on the pill because, a) my periods were normal pre pill and I did not have any issues with it and b) there are other solutions for acne.
When I stopped the pill my bleeding stopped but my acne resurfaced itself too. The pill didn’t have too much of an impact on my control. So I’d advice going back to the gp for something else for acne. My gp prescribed me antibiotics for hormonal acne. At first she wanted to give me some kind of cream for it but I said I have it on my scalp and hair line so that wasn’t advised.
If your acne doesn’t stop and you’ve tried everything, your gp might refer you to see a dermatologist or you might have to ask. My brother went down that route, he had hormonal acne, extremely greasy skin like you can fry an egg on top of it and extremely red, lumpy painful pus filled spots. He was given something similar to accutane that dried his skin out completely. But now his face is smoother and clearer than mine. On the other hand, if you are in a relationship and had a chat with each other, you can discuss other contraceptive methods. My bf was perfectly happy with me not being on the pill. :)

Becky2804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Will your doc not prescribe the anti-acne tablets - roaccutane, I think? Maybe he feels you'd need referral to a dermatologist for that?

If the spots keep coming I’m going to go to my gp and see if it’s possible to get referred to a dermatologist

Becky2804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Becky!
I understand when you talk about acne/ skin issues. The pill that I was on really helped my skin but I was bleeding continuously for 2 months so under the doctors orders, I had to stop. My gp at the time said there isn’t much of a reason for me to be on the pill because, a) my periods were normal pre pill and I did not have any issues with it and b) there are other solutions for acne.
When I stopped the pill my bleeding stopped but my acne resurfaced itself too. The pill didn’t have too much of an impact on my control. So I’d advice going back to the gp for something else for acne. My gp prescribed me antibiotics for hormonal acne. At first she wanted to give me some kind of cream for it but I said I have it on my scalp and hair line so that wasn’t advised.
If your acne doesn’t stop and you’ve tried everything, your gp might refer you to see a dermatologist or you might have to ask. My brother went down that route, he had hormonal acne, extremely greasy skin like you can fry an egg on top of it and extremely red, lumpy painful pus filled spots. He was given something similar to accutane that dried his skin out completely. But now his face is smoother and clearer than mine. On the other hand, if you are in a relationship and had a chat with each other, you can discuss other contraceptive methods. My bf was perfectly happy with me not being on the pill. :)

Hello! Ahh brilliant, how is your skin after being on the antibiotics? That’s great about your brother too- I think I’m going to make an appointment with my doctor, it sounds like there are definitely some alternatives to the pill to help with acne.. hopefully I can get something to work it’s magic x

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! Ahh brilliant, how is your skin after being on the antibiotics? That’s great about your brother too- I think I’m going to make an appointment with my doctor, it sounds like there are definitely some alternatives to the pill to help with acne.. hopefully I can get something to work it’s magic x
4 days in and the spots have turned crispy, crusty and less angry, attractive right? No new friends at the moment. I'm on lymecycline - which is the common antibiotics for acne.

Becky2804

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha ahhh the joys of acne! Well you’re not alone. And good luck with the antibiotics, I hope it clears up ASAP