Advice with freestyle sensor!

hegelegan

Hi my 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 over a year ago and we are planning to go on holiday in a few weeks! We have a free style sensor and was wondering if anyone can give some advice on what to put on the sensor to protect it from coming off, after lots of swimming that she will be doing!? We have used a varuca sock and cut down to size and we usually use that for swimming here and also baths and showering! But never for long periods of time! So was wondering if anyone has used anything while abroad to protect from the beach and water pool etc? Would be greatful of any advice thanks!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve not been abroad with mine but go to a lot of gigs etc where I’m in the same thick of things - I use kinesiology tape to cover my sensor and pump, works well :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I used to go swimming all the time in the ocean with a Libre sensor for up to an hour with no issues. I never had a problem with it falling off or loosening and it always still worked great. I only would "knock" one off by hitting it just right in a door frame etc. So if you don't have a problem with it falling off in the first place I don't think you will have an issue. If your daughter is one of the people that has an issue with it coming off, what I did originally with my Dexcom that I have now, and have a huge issue with staying on, is I use Skin Tac, but before I got my bottle of Skin Tac I wrapped my arm with the Dexcom with an ace bandage around it.

ChrisH55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use opsite flexifix when swimming to cover my sensor. I buy it from Amazon. I usually put a piece of paper over the sensor first so the opsite is not directly on the sensor which makes it easier to peel off after I've swam.

Reactions: skeema89

hegelegan

I used to go swimming all the time in the ocean with a Libre sensor for up to an hour with no issues. I never had a problem with it falling off or loosening and it always still worked great. I only would "knock" one off by hitting it just right in a door frame etc. So if you don't have a problem with it falling off in the first place I don't think you will have an issue. If your daughter is one of the people that has an issue with it coming off, what I did originally with my Dexcom that I have now, and have a huge issue with staying on, is I use Skin Tac, but before I got my bottle of Skin Tac I wrapped my arm with the Dexcom with an ace bandage around it.
Sorry to be ignorant but what is skin tac? And it comes in a bottle? Yes if we don't cover around water the sensor will come off! As she is an active 7years old and a bit careless with it too of course! So I have to watch her! Thanks for reply

hegelegan

I use opsite flexifix when swimming to cover my sensor. I buy it from Amazon. I usually put a piece of paper over the sensor first so the opsite is not directly on the sensor which makes it easier to peel off after I've swam.
Great I will look into this! Thanks for reply!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I get mine on amazon, because I wanted purple, but you can buy it pretty much anywhere - Aldi currentlyngave some and Home Bargains have it with their gym stuff.

Reactions: hegelegan

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Skin Tac is an adhesive that is really effective in helping things stay on. It's put out by Torbot and available online. I love it and most people never react to it, it's made by a medical supply company.

There is also Grif Grips which you put on over any pumps, pods or CGM's that add an extra patch so something stays on. All sorts of really cute shapes for kids, like dogs, cats, dolphins, sports etc. I just don't know if you can get them in the UK, but really fun for kids and not expensive.
https://www.grifgrips.com/

Last edited:

hegelegan

Skin Tac is an adhesive that is really effective in helping things stay on. It's put out by Toradol and available online. I love it and most people never react to it, it's made by a medical supply company.

There is also Grif Grips which you put on over any pumps, pods or CGM's that add an extra patch so something stays on. All sorts of really cute shapes for kids, like dogs, cats, dolphins, sports etc. I just don't know if you can get them in the UK, but really fun for kids and not expensive.
https://www.grifgrips.com/
Thanks so much for your advice grateful for all the advice

Reactions: Marie 2

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@hegelegan Just used some extra kineseology tape to hold down the edges of the original bit.

I can't replace it because I didn't put something between the tape and the sensor so taking off the original tape would probably take the sensor with it.

What I did note was the nice glossy backing to the tape.
I then realised that if I stripped the backing off both ends of the tape but left it in the middle where it goes over the sensor that should hold the sensor in place but make it easy to safely remove the tape.

I will try this with my second sensor in a few days time.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

As a regular swim training Libre user, I do the same. However, I put it on at the beginning of its life and change in the middle. Basically I have it covered 24/7. It prevents knocking it off, allows me to enjoy long hot showers and go swimming about 200 + lengths a week. Have had absolutely no issues with its reliability or accuracy. Been doing this about 18 months now. The only downside has been the ongoing cost as I also self fund the Libre. Prior to doing this I had quite a few come off. Not a single one since.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use Tegaderm plus pad 9cm x 10cm, I put in on and leave it sometimes for the whole 14 days never had problem with the senser falling off since and I swim quite a lot

Reactions: hegelegan

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a cover made of stretch lace around my upper arm covering the sensor. I found a good choice of these covers online. I prefer to do this on a more or less permanent basis, as I've wasted about 3 sensors by accidentally knocking them from my arm, **** nuisance.

(edited by mod for profanity)

Last edited by a moderator:

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice would be keep her libre covered up with tape on the beach ...sand gets everywhere inc that little tiny tiny hole on the sensor. Enjoy !!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I’ve not been abroad with mine but go to a lot of gigs etc where I’m in the same thick of things - I use kinesiology tape to cover my sensor and pump, works well :)
Cheers. I've wondered about swimming with a Libre. I've ordered bright pink kinesiology tape on amazon. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a tegaderm/Fixomull transparent kind of person. Holds fine in water and saves me from pesky doorposts and prying cats. Sometimes a 10x10 cm patch (cut from a 10m roll) lasts the whole 2 weeks, sometimes I trim the edges halfway through and put a new one over the remains of the old :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Further to my message above, the stretch covers look nice, are comfortable, last, wash well, are ready-to-wear, come in a wide range of sizes to order, excellent for swimming, are appropriate for the recommended upper arm areas, and are available in a range of smooth or lace fabrics and in a wide range of colours too.