Libre and Finger pricking

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Activated a new sensor today. Always test with a blood test 15 minutes before it is on line and then compare. Bang on 6.9. (An hour after breakfast) Have noticed over the past few sensors I have trusted it more and more, so decided to look at my blood glucose monitor for the last 2 weeks results. 13 tests. Including the pre 15 minute check. As I have 200 test strips on repeat prescription (which I have not being using) and am using less than 50 a month, I would be an ideal NHS balance out cost candidate. Will see in a month!
I decided to rely more and more on the Libre and not get hung up with blood test results after seeing the outrageous differences on 3 different blood glucose monitors when tested together. 3mmols! When people start getting worried about results bear that in mind. It is all relative to how you feel as what you are used to using. It is not necessarily truly accurate. You may feel below 3 but your monitor shows above 4. Go with how you feel. Another monitor may indeed show below 4.

D

Deleted Account

I am gaining confidence to dose from my Libre (including taking into consideration the trend direction) but finger prick test at least twice a day.
It’s partially a confidence thing but also knowledge each sensor is different and experience they start to diverge from finger pricks as they age.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They do indeed start to age, but for me it is not significant. I find I am a lot less confident listening to it if I keep finger pricking. And as I said 3 blood glucose monitors showing 3 widely different results does not fill one with confidence that they may be right and the Libre wrong. I started out always checking before correcting but haven’t for about 3 months now. I am lucky enough to be very hypo aware. I can feel myself dropping. So can take early action.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As regular readers of this forum know, I have been self funding Libre now for over 3 years and very rarely finger prick now. When I do, it is only to compare readings with the Libre and they are almost always the same. I do not understand why those who use the Libre also feel the need to constantly finger prick as well.

Reactions: Benny G
D

Deleted Account

I do not understand why those who use the Libre also feel the need to constantly finger prick as well
There are two reasons why I finger prick
Libre sensors are factory calibrated with a generic concept of what is a “standard person” and how this impacts the relationship between BG and interstitial fluids.
Whilst some people are close to the “factory man”, I find I am not.
My readings can be as much as 2 mol/l different from the sensor.

As interstitial fluid is 15 to 20 minutes behind BG, when BG changes quickly, any interstitial fluid readings can be a long way from BG. Therefore, when exercising, I use finger prick readings for BG measurements.

Benny G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre and blucon and xdrp+. A couple of strips to calibrate the Libre in xdrip+ then use the smartwatch. All further finger tests are also used to add additional calibration