Insulin pen with syringe

Ragmy

Hello,

some time ago I've seen an insulin pen that used 1ml syringes instead of pre-dosed cartridges, but I can't find it anywhere now. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure what you are asking? Insulin pens usually use pen needles that you attach and dial the dose you want. Syringes you usually use with a vial and draw the amount you want?

You can use a syringe of different sizes to draw the insulin out of a insulin pen or a vial. However with using insulin you want to use the proper amount so you need to make sure they are "insulin" syringe measurements.

Maybe I haven't seen what you are talking about, so I am confused as to what you are asking and maybe someone will come along that knows.

Ragmy

It was an insulin pen that you've put a 1ml syringe in and the pen injected via it. I believe it functioned similarily to a syringe, that you've pressed a button and it injected the syringe for you. Supposedly it should be faster, less painful and you don't have to see and press the syringe.
Hope that makes sense.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure either, nowdays with 4mm insulin pen needles it's not as painful as it was before. It's very quick and easy. I doubt insulin administration is different in different countries.
It is confusing because the insulin pen has a button and you said "press the syringe"?
There are insulin cartridges, prefilled pens and vials.
Needles come in 4mm, 5mm, 8mm lengths.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I’m not familiar with that at all. Hopefully someone comes along that is.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I looked it up last night, but couldn't find anything that you are describing, probably needs the correct wording for Google.
I do hope you find it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you just mean an insulin pen a bit like this? The cartridge is larger than you describe though.

D

Deleted Account

Supposedly it should be faster, less painful and you don't have to see and press the syringe.
Are you experiencing problems with a normal insulin pen?
As no one, so far, has identified the type of pen you are describing, perhaps we can help with your injection technique using a normal pen?

Regarding fasting injections, I am told this is not good. It is better (less painful and absorbed more efficiently) if the injection is slow.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I don't have a button on my pens. I use a Novopen Echo and a Lilly Humapen Luxura (half unit) pen. Each are twist the top to get the amount you want, then press the top to inject the insulin. (Is that what's being described as a button?)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a button on my pens. I use a Novapen Echo and a Lilly Humapen Luxura (half unit) pen. Each are twist the top to get the amount you want, then press the top to inject the insulin. (Is that what's being described as a button?)
I describe that as a button, I too have the novopen and prefilled pens. :hilarious:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I describe that as a button, I too have the novopen and prefilled pens. :hilarious:

Aha - in that case I have buttons! (sadly, not chocolate ones ....)

Reactions: Marie 2 and porl69

Ragmy

I'm sorry for the confusion, I'm drawing from an informational video on the insulin pen that I am describing. You inserted a syringe inside the pen, and the pen, once you pushed the "button", or "trigger", injected via the syringe - applying controlled pressure at the end of the syringe, like one would with a finger.

The reason why I am intrested in this pen is because I have a long-term injury that requires me to inject subcutaneously a solution which is water (sodium solution) based, having similiar "physical" properties as injecting insulin. This is to make sure that bone and ligamens get "attached" properly (sorry for the layman terms, it was quite some time the doctor explained it to me) and to improve healing outcomes. I've been injecting via a standard 1ml syringe and for some time it was okay, but I've developed needle anxiety - I'm having sweats and shaky hands, making it hard for me to inject. I've discussed it with my doctor and he assured me that it is psychological. He offered benzodiazepines, but I have to inject multiple times a week and using those so much is just not viable. I've thought about this pen as one of it's marketed properties was that it doesn't cause needle anxiety as you don't see the syringe and don't have to actually "push it in".

I remembered that I've seen this pen somewhere, but I didn't manage to find it anywhere. So I decided to ask around here, in hopes that someone might be using it or know what I am talking about.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry for the confusion, I'm drawing from an informational video on the insulin pen that I am describing. You inserted a syringe inside the pen, and the pen, once you pushed the "button", or "trigger", injected via the syringe - applying controlled pressure at the end of the syringe, like one would with a finger.

The reason why I am intrested in this pen is because I have a long-term injury that requires me to inject subcutaneously a solution which is water (sodium solution) based, having similiar "physical" properties as injecting insulin. This is to make sure that bone and ligamens get "attached" properly (sorry for the layman terms, it was quite some time the doctor explained it to me) and to improve healing outcomes. I've been injecting via a standard 1ml syringe and for some time it was okay, but I've developed needle anxiety - I'm having sweats and shaky hands, making it hard for me to inject. I've discussed it with my doctor and he assured me that it is psychological. He offered benzodiazepines, but I have to inject multiple times a week and using those so much is just not viable. I've thought about this pen as one of it's marketed properties was that it doesn't cause needle anxiety as you don't see the syringe and don't have to actually "push it in".

I remembered that I've seen this pen somewhere, but I didn't manage to find it anywhere. So I decided to ask around here, in hopes that someone might be using it or know what I am talking about.

IMG_8247.jpg

Is it one of these? It’s not a syringe but a pen and you don’t see the needle? For as long as I’ve been a diabetic, I haven’t seen one myself.

Reactions: Marie 2

Ragmy

Well I guess I would be happy to use any pen that is able to deliver the substance, but it does not come in a pre-filled cartridge. I have it in a vial which I draw from using the syringe. Is there any pen that you can "fill yourself"?

Regarding the pen, you would literally open the pen up and put the whole 1ml syringe in it. It was like a pouch or a "tube" which you "loaded" with the syringe - and I assume threw out after each application.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I guess I would be happy to use any pen that is able to deliver the substance, but it does not come in a pre-filled cartridge. I have it in a vial which I draw from using the syringe. Is there any pen that you can "fill yourself"?

Regarding the pen, you would literally open the pen up and put the whole 1ml syringe in it. It was like a pouch or a "tube" which you "loaded" with the syringe - and I assume threw out after each application.

That’s called cartridges
Which goes into a pen and you twist a needle cap on top.
IMG_8248.jpg

I don’t understand why a syringe in a pen?
Pen itself can be prefilled with insulin or have cartridges that you put in. Prefill you dispose into a bin or Cartridges you discard that too into a bin once you are done.
You are not thinking of a insulin pump are you? There are insulin pumps that are tubed or pods, that people use a syringe draw insulin from a vial and put it into their insulin pump.

Ragmy

That’s called cartridges
Which goes into a pen and you twist a needle cap on top. View attachment 33775

I don’t understand why a syringe in a pen?
Pen itself can be prefilled with insulin or have cartridges that you put in. Prefill you dispose into a bin or Cartridges you discard that too into a bin once you are done.
You are not thinking of a insulin pump are you? There are insulin pumps that are tubed or pods, that people use a syringe draw insulin from a vial and put it into their insulin pump.

I'm not injecting insulin. I have an injury which needs me to inject subq a drug mixture that is physically similiar to insulin, meaning that it should be possible to use insulin pen to inject. It does not have any therapeutic effects as insulin. I am looking for this pen because it would be a solution (atleast partial) to my needle anxiety.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not injecting insulin. I have an injury which needs me to inject subq a drug mixture that is physically similiar to insulin, meaning that it should be possible to use insulin pen to inject. It does not have any therapeutic effects as insulin. I am looking for this pen because it would be a solution (atleast partial) to my needle anxiety.
There are things like tickle flex which help people with needle phobia, but it's not a pen because it hides the needle.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@rylando have you used this device before? I am interested in it.

Not this actual one but I have used the one that I was given years ago, I can’t remember the name of it now but at the time it was the first device of its kind and I was given it to try it out as it was so new! I found it was great to use but as it was quite large and had a lot of parts it was too much messing round for a teenager (which I was at the time). I imagine the devices available these days will be much more compact and updated so I imagine they will be great, it’s amazing technology how it works without a needle! Let me know how you get on I’m interested!! X