Low carb keto training

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am about to embark on the part of my journey to drop my Bgl to the next level. In three months was able to get down to 6.2 and I lost 6kgs. Currently I am pre diabetic.
Here’s my dilemma....
in order to do strength training apparently I need carbs about 30 mins prior to starting as without them I won’t be able to train successfully.

If I am doing cardio, the body can burn fat, but I’m told that with strength training not so as the muscles have to have carbs to do their job efficiently when working out.
My eating plan is usually OMAD and sometimes TMAD.

If anyone is successfully do strength and toning, I would love some feedback. The protein requirements of 1g of protein per pound of body weight seems excessive. That would mean I would need to have 143g protein daily ! Is this right or have I misunderstood something.

I have booked in for three personal training sessions a week focussing on strength and toning.

What would be an acceptable snack before training?

Thanks in advance.

M

Member496333

Dietary carbohydrate is not necessary for strength training/muscle building, although it is obviously beneficial for some, and I don’t doubt that it’s essential if you’re very serious about body building. But as a type 2 I personally recommend lifting in ketosis and seeing how you get on.

No snacks. Just steak & eggs after training. And good luck with everything. Please keep the thread updated, as this is an area I’m currently into. Still a weakling, but getting stronger and more defined on a carnivore diet with around 10g carbs per day, all from dairy and incidentals.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dietary carbohydrate is not necessary for strength training/muscle building, although it is obviously beneficial for some, and I don’t doubt that it’s essential if you’re very serious about body building. But as a type 2 I personally recommend lifting in ketosis and seeing how you get on.

Is this what you have done Jim? How many meals were you consuming?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am about to embark on the part of my journey to drop my Bgl to the next level. In three months was able to get down to 6.2 and I lost 6kgs. Currently I am pre diabetic.
Here’s my dilemma....
in order to do strength training apparently I need carbs about 30 mins prior to starting as without them I won’t be able to train successfully.

If I am doing cardio, the body can burn fat, but I’m told that with strength training not so as the muscles have to have carbs to do their job efficiently when working out.
My eating plan is usually OMAD and sometimes TMAD.

If anyone is successfully do strength and toning, I would love some feedback. The protein requirements of 1g of protein per pound of body weight seems excessive. That would mean I would need to have 143g protein daily ! Is this right or have I misunderstood something.

I have booked in for three personal training sessions a week focussing on strength and toning.

What would be an acceptable snack before training?

Thanks in advance.
Good morning @Sparkle1953 many ladies are wary of protein due to the acceptance of the low calorie diets, where the general teaching has been to limit protein and the fear of kidney issues. On the first point, 1 g of protein is just a starting point, especially for a lady training, there is head room for circa another 40-50% upwards. Excess protein has never been proved to be an issue in a person with healthy kidneys, it is required to be monitored in persons with pre-existing kidney disease. As we get more life experience it is even more important to up protein, this is not a contentious point.

My eating plan is the same as yours, .e.g. over the last 3 days, including today so far I have been OMAD, as I am now in seeing what mainly OMAD does in the context of heavy lifting. So typically I have my black filter coffees, do 100 push-ups to start the day (now 2 x 50), I either walk for 45 minutes and do my first weights session in my home gym or walk for 2.5 miles around my garden doing 100's of Karate (blocks whilst walking, this is what I have done today fasted) then some weights around midday. I like to have 2000 calories come up on my Fitbit before 14:00 as a guide (up to 1284 @ 10.27). I will then eat around 16:00 inline with my family, but just before I do some squats or lunges to allow even the small glucose amount in my meal to use the GLUT4 receptors (in theory, I am a little extreme and optimising). I change things up and go to the gym some mornings, where I do a minimum on my Fitbit of 500 calories in 45 minutes, or on a heavy day similar to the 24th May:
upload_2019-6-3_10-42-59.png

I have played with what I call a "finisher" before bed, this used to be 100 kicks, 50 of each Karate blocks, now I do 20 barbell squats at circa 60% of my current max (I like this as it is over quickly, and targets huge lower extremity muscles, which I have read is where most muscle insulin resistance is).

I would recommend taking a look at the videos these ladies produce, which may give you additional confidence about protein levels ladies are having, I can't recall who the mentor of Dr Gabrielle Lyons is, but he is a world lead on protein:

Reactions: Sparkle1953

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am worn out just reading your fitness program :)) My plan is to do three days a week concentrating on strength and toning, and alternating between upper body and lower body workouts. On the other days I will walk. As I am wanting to also educate my doctor, will keep an extensive diary. If I am OMAD, I am struggling with how I can consume the required amount of protein without feeling stuffed.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am worn out just reading your fitness program :)) My plan is to do three days a week concentrating on strength and toning, and alternating between upper body and lower body workouts. On the other days I will walk. As I am wanting to also educate my doctor, will keep an extensive diary. If I am OMAD, I am struggling with how I can consume the required amount of protein without feeling stuffed.
I am doing amateur extreme for a few reasons, one of which is to try to get my remission status changed to resolved; I believe the stronger and more muscle massed I can make myself, the more I lock in reversal, to provide a buffer for potential side winds, so I am making hay while the sun shines. Once I get to my goals I am likely to train twice a day for 20 minutes, intensive and heavy.

I think your program sounds brilliant. Whilst in OMAD you will find it impossible to over consume quality animal protein in my view. The eating mechanism simply stops you say eating 3 steaks. If you ate the meat in the picture above, you would struggle to go past this amount naturally, as this is red meat the ratio of fat would be great also.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am doing amateur extreme for a few reasons, one of which is to try to get my remission status changed to resolved; I believe the stronger and more muscle massed I can make myself, the more I lock in reversal, to provide a buffer for potential side winds, so I am making hay while the sun shines. Once I get to my goals I am likely to train twice a day for 20 minutes, intensive and heavy.

I think your program sounds brilliant. Whilst in OMAD you will find it impossible to over consume quality animal protein in my view. The eating mechanism simply stops you say eating 3 steaks. If you ate the meat in the picture above, you would struggle to go past this amount naturally, as this is red meat the ratio of fat would be great also.

Thanks for the clarification. I have just finished watching the 1st video and have taken onboard the comments and observations. I guess I am just going to have do this next piece of my plan as I did the 1st part. Block out all the years of brainwashing and negativity in respect to anything that didn’t conform to the food pyramid. By documenting everything, I have a point of reference if I need to back track at any stage.

I normally will do something for 3 months and then check results. At this point it can usually be tweaked if need be. Personal Trainer was quite surprised today when I managed extremely well, given that I haven’t done this kind of gym work for many years.

Have used a mini trampoline from since the mid 1980’s and in summer deep water aqua aerobics. Water in pool too cold for me now.

As it’s getting late now, will watch the other video tomorrow. Again, thanks for your help and I will keep you updated.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the clarification. I have just finished watching the 1st video and have taken onboard the comments and observations. I guess I am just going to have do this next piece of my plan as I did the 1st part. Block out all the years of brainwashing and negativity in respect to anything that didn’t conform to the food pyramid. By documenting everything, I have a point of reference if I need to back track at any stage.

I normally will do something for 3 months and then check results. At this point it can usually be tweaked if need be. Personal Trainer was quite surprised today when I managed extremely well, given that I haven’t done this kind of gym work for many years.

Have used a mini trampoline from since the mid 1980’s and in summer deep water aqua aerobics. Water in pool too cold for me now.

As it’s getting late now, will watch the other video tomorrow. Again, thanks for your help and I will keep you updated.
Great call, you have to be your own n of 1. It took me months before I switched from low fat unsweetened yogurt to full fat. On my initial diabetes education, 2 tutors stood there and 1 re-buffed what I said which was that after doing static cycling I got my blood sugars from 8's to 4's (I trusted my meter instead), the literature states that for someone with high blood pressure resistance training should be avoided - mine went from 140 / 78 to 120 / 72, I did 5 months of carnivore and my eGFR went from 62 to 61, so no change, even though diabetes and then metformin had driven this down.

In general study results are performed on standard American diet eaters mixing carbs, sugar and processed fats together, a deadly cocktail. They are confounded studies and they always use relative risk to inflate non-significant numbers; non of the Oxford or Harvard lot would ever use say the reversed and in remission people on this site as even with my middle of the road results, their nonsense would be torn apart; e.g. all of my liver functions are in the normal range, my HbA1c is normalised, my HOMA-IR is below 1, my HS-CRP is 0.3, QRISK 2.1 (down by 200% since increasing fat and protein).

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My grandson follows a keto diet even though not diabetic he eats far less carbs than I but eats a ton of protein and fats.

This is him at the gym.

Keiran at Gym.jpg

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is an update on the last week.
I’ve stuck to my plan of three days of strength and toning, working with a personal trainer. In spite of being concerned about doing low carb/keto I needn’t have worried.

I have a coffee and cream before I leave, and no breakfast. My main issue has been to get protein into me straight after the workout. I don’t usually go straight home so that’s been the challenge. For this week I have resorted to a 200ml protein shake mixed in full cream milk with 3 scoops of protein powder. Brings it up to 25 G protein.

I’ll try something different next week to try to not have the shakes. Maybe eat a couple of boiled eggs before I start to drive.
Absolutely not hungry. Personal trainer told me categorically that I wouldn’t manage without breakfast and I should have some porridge. I just nodded and said, “Mmm, interesting “.

I’ve decided not to tell him at the moment and let the results speak for themselves, which is what I did with my doctor. I have her full attention.
I’m keen to be guided by those who have had more experience in this than me. Fully expecting that I will need to tweek it.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get my next lot of HBA1c tests back on Wednesday. I have been having 2MAD on the days that I am doing strength which is three days a week. Found that I needed the extra food as I was getting quite hungry. Just having a Coffee with cream instead of breakfast. My weight has stabilised at 66kgs kind of. Sometimes drops into 65.
My next goal is to continue with what I am doing and start to drop the body fat. I am a bit concerned that if I don’t, the muscle I am building (under the fat), will start to make me look chunky.
I haven’t done any research on this but I guess I will be cutting back on the fat consumption and only eating just enough to keep me satiated.
Am I on the right track?
Will report in on Wednesday after I pick up test results. Have currently just finished my first six months!

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@bulkbiker. Thanks for sharing this. I can’t say I understood it all, but the message was very clear. Lchf/keto doesn’t negatively affect performance . I’ll send this link to my PT. He wanted me to do a deadlift this morning that was heavier than usual. I swear it was super glued to the floor. His comment, “ You should have had breakfast and then you could have lifted it easily”

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Missing out body builders there in the 70's when at his peak Arnold Schwarzenegger followed a LCHF and high protein diet.
Not sure body builders are considered "athletes" although you are quite right about steak and eggs..

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Not sure body builders are considered "athletes"

Same would apply to figure skating and gymnastics or several other "sports" that are now Olympic sports .

Someone who trains 4-6 times per week, with gut wrenching intensity, keeps an exact track of all their meals and their contents, is stronger than 99.9% of the rest of the world, bigger than 99.9% of the world and competes in a sport that involves being in a near super human physical state. If this person isn't an athlete, I don't know who is.