Approved Online Research Study- The impact of working life on managing diabetes

Flav

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone, hope you are well.

I am a masters health psychology student at the university of Middlesex. I am carrying out a research on the impact of working life on managing diabetes. I would be really grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to complete my study. It should take about 15-20 minutes.
Please click on the link below if you would like to take part.

Many thanks and your help is deeply appreciated.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

I am a masters health psychology student at the university of Middlesex. I am carrying out a research on the impact of working life on managing diabetes. I would be really grateful if you could take a couple of minutes to complete my study. It should take about 15-20 minutes.

Can an ex Type1 take part?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You are asked questions about frequency of vegetable and fruit intake plus meat and presumably saturated fats.
Some type I diabetics use a low carb high fat diet which has sound evidence as a healthy option in terms of blood sugar control, and overall health.
So for example, they may not eat fruit, and vegetables they do consume include things like vitamin C etc. And the idea that saturated fat causes heart disease and that cholesterol is also the cause of heart disease has never been proven.. Lots of false research about this. If you subscribe to zoeharcombe.com you can find the arguments and solid statitstical analysis of a PhD person in refuting lipid research and use of statins and the flawed science used to demonise saturated fat and low carb diets.
Suffice it to say that if you were to follow the food industry bias and associate no fruit and definite intake of red meat with an unhealthy diet your hypotheses can be refuted. That is why i have given Dr Zoe Harcombe,. phD, a Welsh nutritionist as a reference so that you can avoid this potential mistake.
Best Wishes

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
d

Done!
No zero options on feet/shoe checking answers btw
Also is there some value judgement implied by the questions about high fat/dairy and fruit and vegetables eating. It should be noted that many of us on this forum actively seek high fat foods for health so this answer should not be conflated with 'unhealthy' habits

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes

As I have not been Type 1 for almost six years, I have answered the survey as though I was in my last Type 1 weeks.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There should be an option for N/A for some of the questions at least. There was one page that sounds liek it assumed you were living with someone else - and yes I did check the box near the beginning that said I was not cohabiting/married and I said I did not have any kids
For example one such question is: 'The behaviours I perform that make me effective at work do not help me to be a better parent and spouse', well I live on my own, don't currently have an other half and don't have kids, so how do I answer that one, its a (1= Strongly Disagree; 7= Strongly Agree) type radio button answer - I left it blank

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Another one I can't take part in, nor can LADA patients, type 3c and so on!

There is more than two types of diabetes and more types of type2 and so on!

Rant over!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
started it but didn't complete it, the questions don't seem to relate to anything I understand of working life.

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As I have not been Type 1 for almost six years, I have answered the survey as though I was in my last Type 1 weeks.

Can I just ask how exactly you managed to get rid of type 1 diabetes?!?! As far as I was aware there is no cure for it yet?? If there is I want to know about it!!!!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Can I just ask how exactly you managed to get rid of type 1 diabetes?!?! As far as I was aware there is no cure for it yet?? If there is I want to know about it!!!!
Hi @Rylando88 Sorry this is delayed. According to the Home Page and other medical sources, I haven't been cured! I was Type 1 from 1959 - 2013 when I had a kidney/pancreas transplant. To my mind, having put an end to at least 32,000 injections and finger pricks, I feel cured, but even a transplant brings problems - not usually as bad, but I did have a very worrying six months, ending on 7th Feb this year in which they thought the organs were being rejected.
The problem is that for any transplant to be offered, whatever is being replaced has to be in very poor shape before they will proceed as it is a seriously risky operation. My advice is to stay as well controlled as possible and trust that science is bringing hope even more speedily than five years ago. Good luck with your regime and health!

Reactions: Deb1million

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, not a problem better late than never I say!
It’s great that you’ve had a transplant and I can totally understand why you would say you are cured as I would probably be the same to be honest!
What intrigued me though is you say about being offered a transplant when things are in bad shape, well my pancreas doesn’t work at all and hasn’t for 21 years, is that not bad shape? Haha!
X

Hi @Rylando88 Sorry this is delayed. According to the Home Page and other medical sources, I haven't been cured! I was Type 1 from 1959 - 2013 when I had a kidney/pancreas transplant. To my mind, having put an end to at least 32,000 injections and finger pricks, I feel cured, but even a transplant brings problems - not usually as bad, but I did have a very worrying six months, ending on 7th Feb this year in which they thought the organs were being rejected.
The problem is that for any transplant to be offered, whatever is being replaced has to be in very poor shape before they will proceed as it is a seriously risky operation. My advice is to stay as well controlled as possible and trust that science is bringing hope even more speedily than five years ago. Good luck with your regime and health!
Ahh

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Hi, not a problem better late than never I say!
It’s great that you’ve had a transplant and I can totally understand why you would say you are cured as I would probably be the same to be honest!
What intrigued me though is you say about being offered a transplant when things are in bad shape, well my pancreas doesn’t work at all and hasn’t for 21 years, is that not bad shape? Haha!
X

Ahh
Hi @Rylando88 Wish it was that simple! Luckily (?!) only a fraction of the pancreas (5%) is involved with insulin. The other 95% is involved in other digestive functions such as lipase, amylase, and combining juices with bile, all of which aids digestion. As serious kidney malfunction is a more threatening condition, I managed to get a foot onto the organ ladder! Funnily enough, I bumped into another type 1 on Saturday, who was very excited by my experience, and wondered how she could chat up the local surgeon... It's at times like this that I feel a traitor to the cause. I can only think that people like you and her live in far more encouraging times.

Flav

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

Many thanks to everyone that's completed the survey, really appreciate your help. Also thanks for the feedback, unfortunately not much I could do as I had to use already validated questionnaires so hopefully this could add onto future research and the need to produce new measures as some of have you clearly pointed out issues with outdated research especially in terms of dietary requirements.

Once again, many thanks for all the help.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to but in, so you had a pancreas retro fitted and you were no longer diabetic, produced your own insulin? thats pretty amazing, never heard of that before :)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Sorry to but in, so you had a pancreas retro fitted and you were no longer diabetic, produced your own insulin? thats pretty amazing, never heard of that before :)
Hi @Fenn I fully understand your reaction! I still find it unbelievable that in 2 weeks time I shall have been producing my own insulin for 6 years. Funnily enough Addenbrooke's Hospital Cambridge are performing around 30 pancreas transplants a year. but I guess we are still relatively rare. Best of luck with your health. Grant

Reactions: Fenn