Type 2 EASY WAY TO CHECK CARB INTAKE

Tiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone suggest a good book or app for checking carbs ( some i have seen seem to focus on weight loss )
i am trying to find the simplest one to monitor daily carb intake.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of people recommend the "carbs and cals" app (although I have never used it)
I tend to rely on a spreadsheet and supermarket websites.
If you go for as few carbs as possible you might get away with not counting it at all?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
There's fitness pal or my fatsecret. You do have to input your food but they aren't bad. Soon after you get pretty used to how many carbs are in food.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's fitness pal or my fatsecret. You do have to input your food but they aren't bad. Soon after you get pretty used to how many carbs are in food.
I use MyFitnessPal. I have to double check the carbs sometimes as they can be in US measurements, and are sometimes wrong.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I use Nutrachek which has a British foods database (and is UK based etc). It is very good and only with brand new products does it occasionally let me down. The drawback is it is a paid app.

I like it because I can input recipes which it stores, and I find that very useful indeed.

I also like that it's on my phone and laptop and they synch.

Last edited:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Spreadsheet and packaging information works for me.

Blue30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Carb Manager App on my phone. The scan feature for food nutrition data is an absolute god send....saves so much time! Before this I used to calculate in my head, but once I started putting in data, I soon realised I had been seriously underestimating my total amount of carbs I had consumed

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the Carbs and Cals book with its visual approach very useful at the start. Like others I now use supermarket nutrition guides which are supposed to be correct legally rather than websites and apps that get their information from the public and other unreliable sources.

Reactions: Robbity

Blue30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the Carbs and Cals book with its visual approach very useful at the start. Like others I now use supermarket nutrition guides which are supposed to be correct legally rather than websites and apps that get their information from the public and other unreliable sources.
I also use both...all food labels and the app I mentioned above to calculate my daily intake.
As long as data is double checked against one another, one has a better understanding of how quickly carbs can add up.
The app I use can also instantly tell be if certain foods are keto friendly by adjusting the portion size.

D

Deleted member 308541

I use the Fat Secret Australia website, I did use their app for awhile till it got updated and changed everything thing for the worse.

I also use my online food stores nutrition info details for most of the products we get.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the early days it was the info on a packet or I googled. Now I don’t eat them so no need to count anything.

Reactions: hankjam

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m way to lazy to count stuff, I just eat.

I’m not sure what benefit you get from knowing how of something you’ve eaten unless you need to medicate to compensate.

I know the Fitbit app has a function where you can enter your food intake if you have that, or my fitness pal.

M

Member496333

In the early days it was the info on a packet or I googled. Now I don’t eat them so no need to count anything.

Snap. No need to count something you’re not eating. To me, counting carbs always felt like I was negotiating with food. And losing.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use Nutrachek, just the free version to find any carb content not on a packet or supermarket website, then enter it on my spreadsheets.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I simply cut down on all high carb stuff initially, and since then for anything else have used Google, online supermarket nutritional information and/or packaging if relevant. I know roughly what and how much of it I should eat,but don't actually worry over a daily intake figure, and generally rely on my meter to tell me how my glucose levels are doing, or my scales if I want to lose more weight.

I did use online logging software for a short time, but didn't find it was really worth the additional time and effort involved. Like @Mr Pot I'd not use apps, etc, which tend to rely on user iinput.

Robbity