Bit of a disaster

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I went up to Essex today with a friend. Went to sainsbury to get picnic. Not really much on offer so got wrap that was Greek style 22 carbs I think. Thought that was fine that’s still low for the day. Given I wasn’t planning on anything ejse
Ate that, shared potion of chips ( not huge amount) with friend.
After 1 hour was 13.2 was quite please given what I’d eaten but then at the 2 hours had gone up to 17. Something. Very not pleased.

That’s the only carbs I’d had all day and thought it’s still low although in one hot not spread over the day.

Had not taken my meds last night because I wanted a constantly needing to pee free day, event was in a field so portaloos and I detest them.

Whether this made a difference I don’t know. Did wake up slightly higher on an 8. But on my higher dose age missing one didn’t tend to make a difference but got a feeling this half dosage one does.

Anyway, they have come back down and after 3 hours was in the 10s.

So a very good day but a disaster. Oh and also had a Diet Coke.

Absolutely pooped now, feel like I’ve run a marathon (or a dozen) and very dopey.

I did actually (and probably still do) feel quite high mentally! Although that might just be tiredness!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Cana it’s not a disaster, it’s just one day.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I went up to Essex today with a friend. Went to sainsbury to get picnic. Not really much on offer so got wrap that was Greek style 22 carbs I think. Thought that was fine that’s still low for the day. Given I wasn’t planning on anything ejse
Ate that, shared potion of chips ( not huge amount) with friend.
After 1 hour was 13.2 was quite please given what I’d eaten but then at the 2 hours had gone up to 17. Something. Very not pleased.

That’s the only carbs I’d had all day and thought it’s still low although in one hot not spread over the day.

Had not taken my meds last night because I wanted a constantly needing to pee free day, event was in a field so portaloos and I detest them.

Whether this made a difference I don’t know. Did wake up slightly higher on an 8. But on my higher dose age missing one didn’t tend to make a difference but got a feeling this half dosage one does.

Anyway, they have come back down and after 3 hours was in the 10s.

So a very good day but a disaster. Oh and also had a Diet Coke.

Absolutely pooped now, feel like I’ve run a marathon (or a dozen) and very dopey.

I did actually (and probably still do) feel quite high mentally! Although that might just be tiredness!
It happens. Just a blip. I try to take my own food with me whenever possible.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cana, I had a similar experience a few months ago. It was a social dinner, the last gathering of our gluten-free group that had been meeting for 20 years. The food was all fresh or made from scratch. I had a salad of leafy greens and peppers topped with raw pecans and a viniagrette of EVOO, vinegar, and chopped strawberries that I brought from home - (something I enjoy during strawberry season, which is 3 weeks here). And I had a cup each of a soup and a chili, both were grain free. This was followed by a small piece of single layer chocolate cake. I chose water for my beverage.

I knew the dessert would be a problem so I proactively chose to walk the 2 - 3 mile distance home. Checked my glucose level as soon as I arrived home and it was 329 mg/dl (18.3 mmol/l). I think part of the reason I was so shocked was because the day before, my pre-dinner glucose level had been 95 mg/dl (5.2 mmol/l). What a difference. I didn't go to bed until I knew my glucose level was under 180 mg/dl (10 mmol/l).

A few times a year, typically Thanksgiving and Christmas, I eat throughout the day, mostly low carb, but I do allow myself a few treats. I never checked my glucose levels. Not sure if I will now either, but I had no idea it was possible for my glucose levels to rise that high. After reflection, it's possible the thin chocolate glaze that topped the chocolate cake, was almost pure sugar, something I'd not had in the four years I've eaten low carb.

Not sure, but I have to wonder if your wrap had a sugary sauce.

For this reason, over time I've found a few restaurants that have meals that I tolerate well and stick with them. When out and about with friends, we go to a grocery store with a full deli so I can get sliced ham and provolone cheese to roll up and eat. So easy. This would of course not helped you that day, but with each year I get a bit more savvy at managing.

Reactions: jjraak

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Found the problem, the carbs were actually 54g per pack not in the 20s. I need to learn to read.

Should have had a sarnie. They were in the 20s!!

No wonder my sugars went through the roof and no wonder why I feel like I’ve been partying all week today lol!!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Oops and this is the label
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That label appears to include fibre in the total carbohydrate which is not correct unless the Essex you refer to is in the US.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That label appears to include fibre in the total carbohydrate which is not correct unless the Essex you refer to is in the US.

I don't read it as that. I read carbs 'of which'.... sugars and starch.
Then fibre, protein and salt as separate components.
Maybe I'm wrong. It is slightly unclear.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So a very good day but a disaster.

The nice thing about high bloodsugars: they go down eventually. So disaster? Meh. As long as you had a good day, how much does it matter? (Yeah, the day after is rough, but still. If it's worth it, it's worth it. ;) )

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't read it as that. I read carbs 'of which'.... sugars and starch.
Then fibre, protein and salt as separate components.
Maybe I'm wrong. It is slightly unclear.
If you add up the sugars, starch and fibre it equals the total carbohydrate. Only a small amount of fibre, so no relevance to the OP. I was just surprised to see a non-standard label, starches are also not normally mentioned either.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It IS hard if you have to buy on the hoof. We walked further than we planned last week so nipped into Marksies and got a reduced price crustless quiche, we scoffed half of it there and then on a bench but when I got it home noticed it had a pastry base. Was fuming!! I would have thought the base formed part of the crust. The perils of not reading something as throroughly as usual. Luckily it was full of fat! :-D
:hungry: