Diet drinks.

caffree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I lost about 10kg after being diagnosed a year ago but my weight is slowly creeping up again. I'm eating fairly sensibly and walking, DIY etc. I'm getting suspicious of Diet coke. I drink pints of it one-to-one if I'm with a beer drinker (still in the same old company). Bar staff unanimously tell me people put on weight with it and it's bad news; do you guys get the same feedback? (I'm on two Mets a day and Ramipril, 72 yo). [Moderator please move this if belongs somewhere else].

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I lost about 10kg after being diagnosed a year ago but my weight is slowly creeping up again. I'm eating fairly sensibly and walking, DIY etc. I'm getting suspicious of Diet coke. I drink pints of it one-to-one if I'm with a beer drinker (still in the same old company). Bar staff unanimously tell me people put on weight with it and it's bad news; do you guys get the same feedback? (I'm on two Mets a day and Ramipril, 72 yo). [Moderator please move this if belongs somewhere else].
Some people's bodies get a little confused. They taste something sweet, so the body starts putting out insulin, even if there's nothing much for it to actually do. A lot of insulin floating around, means putting on weight. So yeah, that could be the problem. Just to make sure though, what do you consider "eating sensibly"? As for a T2 it means something entirely different than most people would suspect. ;)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning!

What do you eat? Are you low carbing?

caffree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, both. I'm not really low carbing, just eating wisely. I guess I'll have to go on the Almased for a week or two and drink water. Less complicated. Interesting what Jo said about sweet things.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some say the aspartame in diet drinks causes neuro problems. There may be some truth to that.

Not for others. I drink gallons of aspartame and have done for years with no effects, the research supporting this doesn’t hold up.

Alexemily

Some people's bodies get a little confused. They taste something sweet, so the body starts putting out insulin, even if there's nothing much for it to actually do. A lot of insulin floating around, means putting on weight. So yeah, that could be the problem. Just to make sure though, what do you consider "eating sensibly"? As for a T2 it means something entirely different than most people would suspect. ;)

That’s so interesting, is there any research you know of about that? Pepsi Max and sugar free alternative addict here :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Alexemily

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have a Diet Coke or similar in my lunch box. Normally I will try and get the smaller tins (150ml?). This is partly as I am unsure of the free vending machine soft drinks and their sugar content. I am still losing weight slowly.

caffree

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe let us know your meals and we could try to tweak so you don't need to starve..
Then again I would recommend trying to limit the diet coke severely.
Much appreciated, bulkbiker . The problem isn't me really, it's well-meaning people sticking stuff in front of me and saying "This is OK for you, it's no-added sugar/low-fat/got a green badge on it" etc. You know how it is , you daren't say anything. I've decided not to trust Diet Coke anyway. After all this is the company that's making our kids fat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Much appreciated, bulkbiker . The problem isn't me really, it's well-meaning people sticking stuff in front of me and saying "This is OK for you, it's no-added sugar/low-fat/got a green badge on it" etc. You know how it is , you daren't say anything. I've decided not to trust Diet Coke anyway. After all this is the company that's making our kids fat.
I must admit that is one of the reasons I moved to a primarily carnivore diet. I can simply say I only eat meat. It makes it easy for anyone to cook a meal if I am visiting them and supremely easy for me to cook for others. I know very few vegetarians and no vegans.
If they try and tempt me I simply say no thanks. Dietary bliss.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You need to dare to say something. I get it with my non alcohol consumption, people can’t handle it and buy me a drink anyway thinking I'm not serious about it and then get uncomfortable because I won’t drink it. That’s their problem.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all at home here are drinking diet lemonade, on these warm days.

D

Deleted member 308541

My diet drinks are XXXX Gold low carb beer, and plain water which also can be a mixer drink with either coffee or tea. :D