Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a list of medications that can cause swollen ankles and feet...

Medication side effect. Many drugs can cause swelling in the feet and ankles as a possible side effect. They include:

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/swollen-ankles-and-feet#3

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever lived in a place where liver fluke is a problem - or eaten fresh water fish, particularly if raw or only lightly cooked? It can take decades for the flukes to do damage to the extent that they are causing problems, and they often go undiagnosed. One of my uncles was infected - they think during the 1940s, and it was only discovered after his death in the 1970s.

Bnar

It can also be signs of neuropathy or MS, so I'll ask to be referred to a neurologist. I'm not actually worried, since whatever happens, will happen. If anything, it is annoying; I just want to know the "what" and "why".

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bnar Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause those problems. And worse yet, there are stories of people being diagnosed with MS only to learn later that they actually had a B12 deficiency. The B12 lab test you had is the worst one, and misses many people with B12 deficiency for a variety of reasons.

Please take the time to review all the B12 information I provided in an earlier link. Damage caused by B12 deficiency can be reversed when caught early, but there's a point where some of the damage is not reversible.

Perhaps you could just take the time to watch the movie. That would help you understand the importance of having one of the other tests for B12, specifically the Methylmalonic Acid (MMA) test if your doctor is willing to do it. Or the Homocysteine test which is quite cheap. Either would be a lot cheaper than a full workup by a neurologist. If the homocysteine level is elevated you would then need to have the MMA test.

Best of luck to you. Hope it's not MS or neuopathy. B12 deficiency is ridiculously easy to treat once diagnosed.

Bnar

@Winnie53 I guess I can just take a B12-shot since it was on the lower side anyway. And, I have free healthcare, so cost is luckily not a worry for me. My next appointment with my GP is on the 12th this month, so I'll ask him then.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bnar, people who develop B12 deficiency often need to take B12 shots for the rest of their lives. There are multiples causes for B12 deficiency. For many, it's NOT a diet issue.

It's really important to determine if you're one of those people with proper testing. Please don't supplement until you know one way or the other. When you watch the movie, you'll better understand. :)

Se7en

@Bnar any major life changes in the last 6 months? Anything stressful in particular? Are you constantly worried about stuff? I hear anxiety can cause many different symptoms, both emotional and physical.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I really hope you get to the bottom of your symptoms soon. The elephant in the room is diabetes. Dr Bernstein supports that any blood sugars outside the normal range long term I suggest you rule out complications before other possibilities.
I’m T2 and not taking insulin so forgive me if this is a stupid question but could it be the result of many years of above slightly average blood sugars? Isn’t an HbA1c of 6+ on the higher side of normal? I’m just not sure of A1c targets for T1’s.
I really hope you get to the bottom of your symptoms soon with your medical team. I'm with wiflib. The elephant in the room is diabetes. Dr Bernstein supports that any blood sugars outside the normal range long term cause complications. I would rule out complications before searching for other possibilities.