donating blood?

Would you as a diabetic (T-1 or T-2) donate blood if the NHS changed its mind about it?

• yes

• no

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

CearaRed1073

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
onions, cheeseburgers, diabetes, colors of red, yellow, and orange, houston (too big and WAY too much traffic, not nearly enough public transportation)
i just read this and cannot fathom the silliness of the NHS in this matter: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/can-people-with-diabetes-give-blood.html

as someone who has had T-1 diabetes for MORE THAN 40 years, who is in relatively good health with bare minimum complications (cataract surgery in 2008), i have donated 47 pints of blood over more than a decade's time and have suffered minimal problems (okay, i admit to the time i put my purse onto the donation site and springing a leak...but the phlebotomist cleaned me up, re-bandaged me, made me sit down and eat something, then sent me on my way).

the screening process in the United States (and we've had some other issues in the past, such as HIV) has been built up over the years to prevent damage to both donors and recipients (yes, we've had some other issues in the past, such as HIV, but it is no longer possible to get HIV from a donation)

D

Deleted Account

I checked when I was first diagnosed and was told something along the lines of "there is no reason why any one with diabetes cannot donate blood provided their diabetes is not treated with insulin injections".
I never got to the bottom of the limitation. Some said it was due to the long acting insulin being active in the blood and other said it was concern for me as I am more at risk with diabetes.

This was some time ago and the rules may have changed but my understanding is that with type 1 it is not possible to donate blood in the UK.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the uk anyone who takes insulin (regardless of type) can't donate, but there are lots of other medication restrictions too.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I personally think it’s good that people with T1 don’t donate blood; I just wish that I could as it feels lovely to be able to contribute to another’s survival.
I was told many years ago that the uncertainty about a T1’s blood sugar levels was one of the problems. They can be tested at the start of the donation but as many of us know they can rise and fall during the blood taking.
I wouldn’t like to receive blood with a high or low glucose content that would compromise my health at a difficult time.

Reactions: therower

Blue30

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

I donate blood and I am T2. However, I am not on medication and diet controlled. Although my blood glucose level raises initially for a couple of weeks afterward, I feel this is a small price to pay for helping toward saving someone's life!

The criteria for donating now in the UK is pretty thorough and very strict, and understandably so. They keep stringent records, as I even get notified where my blood was used.

Reactions: Rachox

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I made quite a row at the donating center (Netherlands) when I found out I couldn't donate anymore on insulin. The reason they gave was that is was for my own safety, but it wouldn't make a difference if I got a doctor to write a note that I could safely donate blood. I still get angry about it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I never got to the bottom of the limitation.
I was diagnosed shortly after I’d started donating, so I rang the blood service to ask if I could still be a donor. The woman very abruptly said “no, because you inject drugs” - I was so upset over that, she made me feel dirty just for taking medicine that keeps me alive. I still get upset about that 20 years later.

D

Deleted Account

Here’s a useful link if this thread prompts anyone to think about donating blood but doesn’t know if they are able to:
https://my.blood.co.uk/KnowledgeBase/Index/A
I see they have not changed the advice they gave me. Under "Diabetes Type 1 : Diabetes" it still says "You may donate as long as ...If the following apply we are sorry but you are unable to donate. ...You need regular insulin treatment"
I am sorry this is not relevant to the question but it really annoys me when a health related website does not understand what is type 1 diabetes. Makes me question the other information on the site.

Not a complaint towards you, Rachel. Just a general frustration.

Last edited by a moderator:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I've never been allowed to because of the (somewhat hefty) drugs I take for the epilepsy. I have been on the other end of the proceedings, receiving several units of blood to keep me alive, and I can tell everyone of you who ever gave a drop that you have done so much good. Thank you!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I was diagnosed shortly after I’d started donating, so I rang the blood service to ask if I could still be a donor. The woman very abruptly said “no, because you inject drugs” - I was so upset over that, she made me feel dirty just for taking medicine that keeps me alive. I still get upset about that 20 years later.
I got a woman who told me if I stopped taking insulin I could donate after three months. She got all offended when I pointed out that after three months without insulin I wouldn't be donating because I'd be dead.

Reactions: Circuspony

Blue30

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do understand your anger at how you were made to feel.
Some time ago, I had to tick yes to a question regarding an annual heamaglobin investigation I had years ago. I had been tested for everything and all came back negative everytime.
But the nurse said they would not accept my blood as I was undiagnosed and could have anything! The whole conversation could be heard by all! So I too was left very angry and couldn't believe I was made to feel like a "lepher" by the nurse.
The only way I could donate in the future was to give permission for them to access all my medical records. I was eventually given permission to donate.
However, I very nearly walked away from ever donating because of the way I was treated!!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a woman who told me if I stopped taking insulin I could donate after three months. She got all offended when I pointed out that after three months without insulin I wouldn't be donating because I'd be dead.
Not posted the funny because it's funny, but what can you do but laugh in the face of such remarks.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I see they have not changed the advice they gave me. Under "Diabetes Type 1 : Diabetes" it still says "You may donate as long as ...If the following apply we are sorry but you are unable to donate. ...You need regular insulin treatment"
I am sorry this is not relevant to the question but it really annoys me when a health related website does not understand what is type 1 diabetes. Makes me question the other information on the site.
On a more optimistic note, could it be that they are aware that some people diagnosed with antibodies (and thus T1) may not need insulin for months or even years?

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't donate blood here in France because I lived inthe UK in the 1980s mad cow I think not that I had it plus being a T1 diabetic plus having cancer plus I take bio medicines for arthritis all in all nobody would want my blood

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my husband has been donating blood for decades. He recently has been told he can no longer do so as his cholesterol is too high. We went to the doctors for his blood test and breakdown. Then received a letter for the surgery telling him to come and get his statin prescription. No follow up, no nurses appointment to discuss any findings.

So I saw red and made a GP appointment to get his figures, as the receptionist wouldnt let him have access, by any means, to his numbers, or give him a telephone appointment. (we are in Wales and dont have any online access to medical info from the surgery)

His total cholesterol is 7.9. And he can no longer donate blood unless he takes statins to bring it down. He has refused statins and is a fan of Barry Groves.

Madness!!!

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my husband has been donating blood for decades. He recently has been told he can no longer do so as his cholesterol is too high. We went to the doctors for his blood test and breakdown. Then received a letter for the surgery telling him to come and get his statin prescription. No follow up, no nurses appointment to discuss any findings.

So I saw red and made a GP appointment to get his figures, as the receptionist wouldnt let him have access, by any means, to his numbers, or give him a telephone appointment. (we are in Wales and dont have any online access to medical info from the surgery)

His total cholesterol is 7.9. And he can no longer donate blood unless he takes statins to bring it down. He has refused statins and is a fan of Barry Groves.

Madness!!!
Good thing in france we get all blood results same day on the internet or within a few day a by post

Reactions: Antje77

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
In Australia you have to go through a few hoops but even on insulin you can donate, unless you have complications.