donating blood?

Would you as a diabetic (T-1 or T-2) donate blood if the NHS changed its mind about it?

• yes

• no

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
In Australia you have to go through a few hoops but even on insulin you can donate, unless you have complications.

But neither my kids or I (who are all now Australian citizens) can donate in Australia or New Zealand, because we lived in the UK in the 1990s.
I became aware of mad cow before my children were born, so didn't give them beef while we lived in the UK (at the time it was a relevant concern because the long incubation period meant that it wasn't clear whether the UK was going to have an epidemic). It seems that anyone who lived in the UK in the 90s is now permanently unable to donate blood worldwide.... (Oh, and New Zealand includes people from France and Ireland in the ban.)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oh, and New Zealand includes people from France and Ireland in the ban

And I can now see why, having read through to their explanation.

Apparently 1 in 2000 to 5000 people in the UK may be a carrier of vCJD....

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Before I developed diabetes I had a gallon pin because I donated pretty regularly. I had no issues with it per se, but I always took oj with me to guzzle after because I would have a blood sugar drop and get light headed. I started donating in my 20's and didn't start to develop type 1 until I was 46, so the blood sugar drop had nothing to do with my disease. This is a common issue with donating and is why, here at least they supply juice and cookies after.

So I think that could be a huge issue for type 1's to donate, I wouldn't chance it now. But donating blood wouldn't be high on my list of things a type 1 should do, unless it's an emergency. Besides I have to wonder what all that insulin I take would do in someone else's body? Curious about that.

Benny G

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From age 18 I used to donate every 6 to 8 weeks. They couldn't get enough of my O-neg. When I got the type 1 and started insulin I went to donate and was told "Thanks, you have done enough." Here in UK there is blanket ban for Type 1.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yea, I doubt in the USA they allow you to donate either with type 1, they don't even let you donate if you've had a migraine within 2 weeks half the time! I haven't tried since as I just assumed it would be a no.

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a rare blood type that they are desperate for. Just before diagnosis I was going to start to donate platelets. I always gave blood.

Unfortunately T1s are banned from giving in the UK. Always wondered if the benefits of giving could out way the problems.

Last edited:

CearaRed1073

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
onions, cheeseburgers, diabetes, colors of red, yellow, and orange, houston (too big and WAY too much traffic, not nearly enough public transportation)
In Australia you have to go through a few hoops but even on insulin you can donate, unless you have complications.

as i mentioned, i've been donating for more than a decade (more than five gallons worth). granted, in the forty+ years i have been T-1 D, the only complication i have had is cataract surgery in 2008 (knock wood, may my luck with this continue), but i know eventually i will have to stop...i'm hoping it will be due to age :pics::pics::pics:

Gaffer type 1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Food lol
I rang the blood transfusion place last week funnily enuff, to ask if I can donate which I was told no as I'm T1.
But what about the blood I give helping another T 1 is that not able to be done...