Taken off Metformin

DazG

Hi

I have been on 2x 750mg SR Metformin for over a year now. Had my HbA1c just over a week ago and it came back at 5.5 - The nurse thinks this is too low so told me to stop taking meds immediately. Meaning I can manage myself on diet and exercise alone.

I have done this, but I havent felt right at all since then.

I have been doing some random blood tests on foods I know I can eat these past few days and where I would eat low gi toast for brekkie, getting a reading of maybe 5.8, 2 hours later, Im now getting readings of 8.8. Morning readings have also risen to around 7.2.

Also, as I said I just dont feel well, I feel anxious and shaky a lot, and I keep forgetting things, Is this some type of withdrawal do you think? Im very tempted to start taking the metformin again and might just go to see my doctor next week and maybe cut down on them, instead of stopping immediately.

Can anyone offer some advice?

C

catherinecherub

It obviously wasn't a joint decision then Daz. :roll: You are supposed to be involved in decisions that are made.
I wonder if you are anxious now that you are going it alone so to speak? Ask your Dr. if you can have a smaller dose and explain how you are feeling and the rise you have noticed in your blood sugars without the medication.

Hope this helps.

CC.

DazG

Hi CC

I do have a bit of an anxiety problem, but I manage it quite well, this feels really different, its a deep set anxiety and it isnt shifting at all, Im also not sleeping properly and feel a bit detached so there is something wrong, it only started a day or so after I stopped the metformin.

I have just taken one of them, and will take one a day till I can see the Doc on Tuesday. I dont think any medication should be stopped just like that, especially after taking it for a year.

I wasnt happy about coming off them really, Im booked in for blood tests in 4 months, she did give me a prescripton for testing strips, 50 to last me till November :-/ apparently I need to test twice a week in the mornings to see how its going. If I get a few weeks of high morning readings then Im advised to go back to the surgery.

If my nurse thinks Im controlled enough to go without metformin then I trust her judgement, but yeah maybe not great to stop them completely. She is a really good nurse, the best ive seen, but maybe that wasnt the best way forward at this time and a lower dose would have been a better plan. Guess I will have to see what the doctor says in the week.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I was feeling a bit alone there for a while!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Isn't it a sad indictment of the NHS that a HbA1C of 5.5% is regarded as "too low"?

Write down all your BG scores and confront the nurse with them. Tell her that you have worked hard to get your HbA1C below 6%, and that you have no intention of opening yourself to future complications by going there again.

DazG said:
If my nurse thinks Im controlled enough to go without metformin then I trust her judgement, but yeah maybe not great to stop them completely. She is a really good nurse, the best ive seen, but maybe that wasnt the best way forward at this time and a lower dose would have been a better plan. Guess I will have to see what the doctor says in the week.

In my experience blind faith of your Doctor, Nurse or any HCP is a certain route to trouble. Most of them are used to patients passively following their advice, and will react quite well to well researched reasoned argument.

Lots of us T2s seem to be facing the same problem - as soon as you start showing good control they whip you off the medication.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Tell the GP you want to stay on them if only for the other benefits Metformin Gives you
For starters:
Decreasing hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) levels
Helping with weight loss
Lowering total cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL cholesterol ("bad cholesterol")
Raising HDL cholesterol ("good cholesterol")

Patient-centred care
This guideline offers best practice advice on the care of adults with type 2
diabetes.
Treatment and care should take into account patients’ needs and preferences.
People with type 2 diabetes should have the opportunity to make informed
decisions about their care and treatment, in partnership with their healthcare
professionals.

Unbeliever

I recently asked if I could take a lower dose of metformin and my Gp was against it calling metformin "cheap , cheerful and effective". They have never done much for my levels and i know hey were prescribed for other reasons- just wondered if a lower dose might be more equally effective. In my case ,however I take other meds too.
I wonder if the nurse has been pressurised to reduce the number of patients on meds and thus the number receiving free prescriptions?
It is hardly surprising that coming off metformin might produce some wihdrawal symptoms as hey increase he dose gradually when you first begin to take it.
As the metformin itself costs nvirually nothing there may well be other reasons for withdrawing it or it may simply be that the nurse knows that metformin often has little effect on bg levels and considers it unnecessary for you.I

DazG

Im pretty confident that I am not going to stop taking them now. Reducing the dose is fine with me, a little that is, but Im not coming off them. As I said I took one earlier and I feel so much better now, like 100% better, and that isnt all in my mind (honest)

Regarding the free prescription thing Unbeliever, I live in Cardiff so we get them for free anyway, thank goodness, I take quite a few different ones for various ills so Im glad I no longer have to pay.

My nurse is pretty good, she does listen when you chat to her, but maybe I let her sway me a little to come off them, Im not doing that again and will definitely see my doctor Tuesday and make sure I stay on them.

Thanks to you all for your advice, I will stand my ground a little harder next time thanks to you lot :)

Unbeliever

Possibly your nurse thought you would be pleased to be aken off meds and that she was encouraging you in your good resullts.

Taking metformin certainly won't hurt and if itf it makes you feel so much better it is worth it.
I can't see why your doctor should object. Good luck.

bowell

Dislikes
Unbeliever
May simply be that the nurse knows that metformin often has little effect on bg levels and considers it unnecessary for you.

Metformin can drop you between 1<>2 on the max dose ?

When my BG started to rise ,My Metformin came up-to 2500mg from 1500mg kicked it back in line for a while then needed to up the Glit as well

To say it has little effect on BG Bit of a fleeting statement when its one of the most successful drugs ever given to T2s together with diet and exercise

T1s with Insulin resistants are Often prescribed Metformin

If it was of little use . Why would is it the first line T2 medication, even with its Low cost?
NHS is not that stupid

Metformin compared with sulfonylureas (12 studies, n = 2376):
Glucose control: compared with sulfonylureas, metformin showed a significantly greater benefit in HbA1c (SMD –0.14, 95% CI –0.28 to –0.01) and FPG (SMD –0.16, 95% CI –0.27 to –0.05).
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Metformin compared with diet (three studies, n = 914)
Glucose control: metformin showed more benefit for HbA1c (SMD –1.06, 95% CI –1.89 to –0.22). There was no significant difference for FPG.
Ref:
http://www.cks.nhs.uk/diabetes_type_2/evidence/supporting_evidence/antidiabetic_drugs/metformin

Metformin most effective treatment for type 2 diabetes, says report
Ref:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2011...or-type-2-diabetes,-says-report-95731798.html

Bob

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I'm interested to read some of the comments from fellow T2 sufferers, on the effectiveness of Metfartin. I have been on a regime of x2 750sr Metformin and x2 Glicacides a day for many moons, kicked Actos into touch a few years ago. I know it does a different job from say Glicacide but, I tend from around 10yrs diagnosed experience of treating T2 with this drug, to support the premise that it falls in the cheap and cheerful bracket. It mostly just seems to make me fart, I don't see much obvious benefit from 10yrs experience in using it. My 3-month levels has hovered around 7 =/- for most of this time before and after diagnosis. Glicacide certainly lowers blood sugar levels but, not too keen on its side effect of fluid retention and weight gain and possible long term panc damage.

I'm interested in trying one of the new drugs that are out but, worried about this after the Actos experience :roll: .... Interested to hear from experienced T2 sufferers, on the options away from Meta and Glic ?

bowell

Dislikes
Over time my meds have come up
Metformin 2500 mg
Gliclazide 240mg

Getting some wild BG swings
GP started me on JANUVIA 100mg in combination with my met and glic

No problems with the JANUVIA has had the effect to level my BG right out

Back in control :p