Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Seeing your doctor is the best thing you can be doing. Hope all goes well and they are helpful.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you want to know more about why we worry about ketones you can look into the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. I've got to go now, so no time for an explanation.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ohhhh.
I have autoimmune issues.

That doesn’t sound good

Remember until you get the results from the relevant tests you will not know which type you have (you may be able to make an educated guess but you wont know) so you may have type 1 (autoimmune) or type 2 (metabolic dysfunction) or one of the other rarer versions.
Presuming you do get diagnosed with diabetes, no matter which type it is, it can be dealt with (how it gets dealt with will be dependent on type)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are so very sweet! Thank you for all of your kind advice. I did contact my doctor this morning and going in at 4 o’clock. So I guess I’ll get some answers as to what type of diabetes I have. I had no idea that the two were very much different.

It’s funny that you said something about healthy shakes in the morning. That’s what I’ve had for the last year. I thought I was doing good with green beans and blueberries and a protein shake but now maybe that was a great idea after all. LOL. Today I had eggs with a little bacon. I’m glad that I did the right thing. LOL even after my Pilates class my blood sugar didn’t seem to go down very much. But I’ve read that exercise is a good way of helping

Glad Hubby is gone out of town for the night. That way I can figure things out. I don’t want to worry him, he’s at a very high stress job. And honestly I am really ashamed that my weight has brought on diabetes.

I am going to have the doctor suggest some support groups so I can figure all of this out. It seems like quite an undertaking.

Once again, thank you so much for all of your advice. Honestly it looks like you just eat the way you really should eat. Without all of the white food.

Janine
Hi Janine,

First off, I'm really glad you got the appointment for today. Good on you! And again, I'll repeat: Your weight piled on because you were becoming diabetic. It isn't a cause, it's a symptom of a disease you didn't know what going to hit you. And you didn't know how to avoid it either because you didn't know what the problem was. (Like just about everyone else, I tried to lose weight with my dietician's help and she told me to go low fat, high carb. That made me go from obese to morbidly obese and diabetic.). If you're becoming a T2, you have a whole lot of insulin floating around, but you've become insensitive to it, so it can't do its job; which is help you burn the glucose that is in your bloodstream. (Which in turns comes from any carbs you ingest). The glucose is there though, and it'll have to go somewhere...! And at first, it gets stored in fat cells. After a while, those are full, and the glucose just overflows. It's everywhere, in your blood, your organs, muscles... And that's when you're diabetic. That's the really short, un-scientific version of it anyway. A type 1 has too little insulin because of an autoimmune issue. A T2 makes insane amounts, but can't use it effectively. (And eventually, a pancreas can get knackered and quit.). So basically, yeah, it does come down to changing eating habits. The smoothy you describe had a lot of fructose and glucose in there, and no fats or fibres to slow it down. Once something is liquified, it'll hit your bloodstream that much faster, and spike you something awful. And in the morning your insulin sensitivity is at it's lowest point, so that's really the worst time of day to hit the system with a load of sugars. So yeah, as healthy (and tasty) as it sounds, it really wasn't. As for Pilates, I don't know how intensive that workout is, but it's slow and steady activity that brings bloodsugars down. Like going for a long walk. If you overdo it, your liver jumps in, "helping" by dumping some glucose to give you extra energy. Which you can't exactly burn up if your insulin impaired in some way. But again, since i have never set foot in a pilates class, I have no idea whether it's more on par with a wlk or a cardio work-out.

As for support groups, well, you've got us... So we'll keep you company while you search for real-live people. :) And check out dietdoctor.com, as well as Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code. He's a lifesaver. Literally.

Where your husband is concerned: If you are a T2, and I'm hoping you are, (T1 is managable but a lot more complicated), learn what you can, so you know, when you tell him, that you can also immediately reassure him: T2 can be controlled. Three months after my diagnosis I was off my T2 medication (as well as the statins for my cholesterol) and complication-free. I lost a truckload of weight too. I'm healthier now than I've been in decades, and when I first was diagnosed I thought I was about to die. Instead, I basically got my life back, just by eating a different diet than the one I was initially advised... There's hope here. T2 can be brought to heel, it doesn't have to be a progressive disease.

You can do this.
Hugs,
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS: When you're in ketosis (like I am), your body burns body fat for fuel rather than carbohydrates, which releases ketones into the bloodstream. That's fine, just means you're what they call "fat adapted". If your bloodsugars are high and there's ketones, things can go sideways insanely fast as things can turn to ketoacidosis, which is deadly. So there's good ketones, and there's the circumstance where ketones can kill. It's a big difference, but sometimes doctors'll freak out because they don't know the difference betweenbeing in ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis. One's fine, the other's lethal. And the lethal one is mostly a T1 problem. Doesn't happen to T2's often.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1 is also misdiagnosed as type 2 at the beginning. Type 1 has nothing to do with your weight. A C peptide test and an antibody test are needed to determine which you have, you might get the results within a few days. Some blood tests do take a couple of weeks. It depends what he thinks, whether he will order them or try medications for a type 2 first. He might go ahead and also refer you to an endo.