Aldi sugar free low carb chocolate mistake

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in Aldi and bought two of the sugar free relatively low carb tiny chocolate bars that were at the till. One milk with coconut and the other dark with orange 25g each with carbs of 12 for 100g - so around 3G for the bar. I had half a bar. I know my reading was around 5 before and now 8.5!!! Never again and yet another lesson learned. My body doesn’t like whatever the sweetener is.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Thanks. I'll stick with 90% dark Lindt and Hotel Chocolate when I need a fix (literally and not literally now I'm on insulin.)

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in Aldi and bought two of the sugar free relatively low carb tiny chocolate bars that were at the till. One milk with coconut and the other dark with orange 25g each with carbs of 12 for 100g - so around 3G for the bar. I had half a bar. I know my reading was around 5 before and now 8.5!!! Never again and yet another lesson learned. My body doesn’t like whatever the sweetener is.
Newbie here.

So sugar free doesn’t mean anything then?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
How bad is it to be on insulin?
As I don't have a choice about insulin, it's ok. I've only had one hypo - a rookie mistake. My blood sugars are under better control than they have ever have been. I'm actually able to eat and exercise which worried me. I'm following Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to the letter though. I'm about to attend a DAFNE 7-day course on eating normally. I've had an urgent referral to a physiologist over my reluctance to go on insulin with a T1DM diagnosis and heaven help me when they realise I'm choosing LCHF while on insulin (Dr Bernstein.) So, I doubt I'd make an 'on insulin' poster girl. You'd be better to chat with some more experienced members.

Last edited:

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I don't have a choice about insulin, it's ok. I've only had one hypo - a rookie mistake. My blood sugars are under better control than they have ever have been. I'm actually able to eat and exercise which worried me. I'm following Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to the letter though. I'm about to attend a DAFNE 7-day course on eating normally. I've had an urgent referral to a physiologist over my reluctance to go on insulin with a T1DM diagnosis and heaven help me when they realise I'm choosing LCHF while on insulin (Dr Bernstein.) So, I doubt I'd make an 'on insulin' poster girl. You'd be better to chat with some experienced members like Knikki, Robinredbreast and helensaramay.

What is LCHF?

I’m going to the doctor the first time today to talk about my test scores. My A1C was 10.4 a few weeks ago. I do not want to go on insulin! I am wondering if there is something else besides insulin.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
What is LCHF?

I’m going to the doctor the first time today to talk about my test scores. My A1C was 10.4 a few weeks ago. I do not want to go on insulin! I am wondering if there is something else besides insulin.
Hi again, LCHF is a low carbohydrate high-fat diet choice followed by some of the members here like
who are better placed to comment.

Last edited:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is LCHF?

Low carb high (healthy) fats. I was 12% and have avoided meds.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Newbie here.

So sugar free doesn’t mean anything then?

Labels have been changed to state 'no added sugar', as most of these have enough 'natural' sugar to need counting, and then there is the rest of the carbs (starches) that your body converts to sugar.
Some artificial sweeteners spike people's blood sugar, I am lucky that I don't appear to have an issue with any of the usual sweeteners available in the UK, but prefer stevia sweetened chocolate as well as Lindt 85%.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What is LCHF?

As a type 2 you are unlikely to be put straight onto insulin, metformin is the usual first choice from GPs. However, when I was diagnosed I decided to go low carb instead and got my blood sugar under control really fast.

Reactions: Flora123

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'd rather make my own truffles, dead easy.

ShortStuff

What is LCHF?

10.4 isn’t good, but it’s not scary high for your first HbA1c I must dig mine out, but I think it was about 9.5. I went LC & got it back to ‘within normal in under 3 months. NO MEDS!

There are loads of threads on here about Low Carbing DrBriffa’s ‘Escape The Diet Trap’ is a really good read (and not heavy) it explains a lot of stuff really well (in simple language)

Try not to panic (I did until I found Low Carbing really works for me!)

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1's have to end up having insulin. If you are type 2 you should be able to control it by diet or diet and meds.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd rather make my own truffles, dead easy.

I don’t normally eat stuff like that and wouldn’t want to get into the habit, but it was there in front of me so I thought I’d try. Never again!