About Younger Onset T2 Diabetes.

GenBomaYE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/41/12/2648

This study indicates that t2 in youth is more aggressive and Beta cell deterioration is 3 times faster and the risk of developing complications are much higher than t1s who develop their condition at the same age. This really concerns me as i am a young onset t2. I have already addressed my worries about this in my very intial post here. A month and half after my diagnosis, my control has been excellent and meds have been reduced to just metformin 500mg twice a day and expecting an a1c around 5ish(old one) if it is according to my meter readings. Regardless of my good control atm i feel hopeless that complications would be inevitable.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever had a test to see how much endogenous insulin you are producing?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The science is not at all clear on T2 in youth as this is a comparatively new developement. Time scales are at best a guesstimate plus this article is from the ADA which imo is still in the doldrums wrt to dietary approaches to T2. We have access to data e.g Virta on adults but I have not seen any data from long term RCTs (which does not mean there are none) on T2 in children or young adults.

Bob Lustig would be a good source on this topic.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of things: If you get a progressive disease early, and it remains unchecked, you get complications earlier than someone who's diagnosed at 60. That's kindof logical. But this piece keeps hammering on socio-economical issues and food insecurity, cultural issues... Meaning that while a lot of young T2's face these issues, as a cause for their T2.... Well... It doesn't have to remain that way. I mean, I do believe eggs are cheaper than cereal with milk. Just to name something, and if economics are the issue. Lack of education? You got through that piece, so I'm guessing you're educated enough to start following a diet that'll help your bloodsugars. If you act now and keep your bloodsugars under control, rather than them running rampant, I don't see why you have to have horrid complications and an early kicking-of-the-bucket.

Don't get discouraged. You can do this. You don't have to be a victim to circumstance and genetics.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The main thing I took from the conclusion of the study was this

"Youth are more insulin resistant and have β-cells that are hyperresponsive to stimulation compared with adults"

In which case if true (not 100% convinced but) don't stimulate through eating carbs..

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You are doing really well. I would say add power lifting to your exercise to take even more pressure off of insulin.

GenBomaYE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you ever had a test to see how much endogenous insulin you are producing?
I am assuming you mean a C-Peptide test. Not yet, My Doctor told me it's not needed because he is 100% certain that i am t2(i know that is bad and i should've pushed for the test to be certain but at that point i was very panicked and had no clue about anything diabetes. So my next visit is in about a month's time with my next a1c and am planning to take C peptide and GAD antibody along with it. But for now i am sticking with my doctor's diagnosis which that i am almost certain that is the case. I reacted well to just oral meds and there were no ketones in my urine that was his argument when i raised my doubts to him and he got pretty annoyed at me too. I am looking into changing my doctor after the next hba1c.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I am assuming you mean a C-Peptide test. Not yet, My Doctor told me it's not needed because he is 100% certain that i am t2(i know that is bad and i should've pushed for the test to be certain but at that point i was very panicked and had no clue about anything diabetes. So my next visit is in about a month's time with my next a1c and am planning to take C peptide and GAD antibody along with it. But for now i am sticking with my doctor's diagnosis which that i am almost certain that is the case. I reacted well to just oral meds and there were no ketones in my urine that was his argument when i raised my doubts to him and he got pretty annoyed at me too. I am looking into changing my doctor after the next hba1c.
There are 4 antibodies they routinely test for at OCDEM, Oxford for T1DM: Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Autoantibodies (ICA); GAD65 Autoantibodies; Insulinoma-Associated-2 Autoantibodies (IA-2A); and Zinc Transporter-8 Autoantibodies (ZnT8A)

IAA antibodies are tested in young children. And I'm unsure why they don't test for the Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies (GADA).

Reactions: GenBomaYE

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure this is relevant but my daughter was diagnoseed type 2 at two years old, yes i did say two! She had never seen sugar and have you ever seen a two year old with a sedantary lifestyle? Hehe, this makes me chuckle when type two is put down to bad lifestyle, she had and has never eaten junk food, we have been told to expect type one.

She is now 16 and fine, no signs of any nasties and no sign of type one.

Apologies for sharing a pointless story if irrelevant

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Not sure this is relevant but my daughter was diagnoseed type 2 at two years old, yes i did say two! She had never seen sugar and have you ever seen a two year old with a sedantary lifestyle? Hehe, this makes me chuckle when type two is put down to bad lifestyle, she had and has never eaten junk food, we have been told to expect type one.

She is now 16 and fine, no signs of any nasties and no sign of type one.

Apologies for sharing a pointless story if irrelevant
Wow, was she tested further? Or did they just make a snap diagnoses? Or was the doctor just ****?