What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast today was one of the excellent sausages from our butcher (I put the rest in the freezer to avoid temptation - not sure of how many carbs are in them) and 2 eggs.
Lunch - raspberries and cream
Dinner - I( was going to have the remainder of the sausage stew from yesterday but thought one sausage is enough for the day, so now I am wondering whether to have some of the lamb shank which was going to be for tomorrow or some of the lamb tagine I have been slow cooking for much of today. Or maybe nothing at all.
I'm a bit off food at the moment - might have left it too long before eating the raspberries - my stomach gets irritated with me sometimes when I do that - other times it doesn't. I had to make a cake and some other stuff for a pot luck lunch tomorrow and that just made matters worse. Goodness only knows what I will be able to eat for lunch tomorrow - better take my own pot of salad I suppose.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Eaten today

About 6 am
A few cashew nuts
Some bits dark chocolate
Black coffee

8 am
Eggs and cheese thrown in microwave
And mushrooms
Black coffee

11am Got back from shops and had some ready to eat salmon
I'll just have one bit I thought but...
Ate all the salmon
Had fresh mushrooms so...
Put mushrooms in leaves of gem lettuce (so mushroom lettuce sandwiches)

But I have difficulty eating green salad stuff (swallowing problems), so I had the bright idea of buttering the gem lettuce leaves! It worked and I could swallow it pretty easily...

Then 11:30 half a mug of halved strawberries and some double cream.

That's it for solid food.

Teas
Coffees
Water
Herbal teas to drink the rest of the day

Useful to know, that leaves go down more easily with butter on them. I'll have to try that - most food sticks in my throat, unless it is very soft or liquid so I don't eat much in the way of raw leaves which kind of stick to the sides of my throat.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Useful to know, that leaves go down more easily with butter on them. I'll have to try that - most food sticks in my throat, unless it is very soft or liquid so I don't eat much in the way of raw leaves which kind of stick to the sides of my throat.

I have only just figured this one out with butter @Annb
Maybe mayonnaise will work. But I haven’t tried that yet.
I am going to experiment with this.
Glad you got a possible idea

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another very early start and active day taking youngest sons dog out for long walk. Ended up doing a 20,000 step walk around some of south Birmingham’s vast canal network. Wonderful day though.
Breakfast coffee with cream as early start
Lunch two boiled eggs eaten on a bench on the side of the Stratford-upon-Avon canal which meets the Worcester to Birmingham canal at kings norton junction in brum.
Dinner organic pork burger with cheese on top servedwith mushrooms (cooked in advocado oil ) and a green salad. Pudding sf lemon jelly with yoghurt - planning decaf coffee and cream with a small bit of choky in a bit.
Planning later start tomorrow and breakfast hopefully.
@Goonergal safe journey home with all your lowcarb goodies!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast today was one of the excellent sausages from our butcher (I put the rest in the freezer to avoid temptation - not sure of how many carbs are in them) and 2 eggs.
Lunch - raspberries and cream
Dinner - I( was going to have the remainder of the sausage stew from yesterday but thought one sausage is enough for the day, so now I am wondering whether to have some of the lamb shank which was going to be for tomorrow or some of the lamb tagine I have been slow cooking for much of today. Or maybe nothing at all.
I'm a bit off food at the moment - might have left it too long before eating the raspberries - my stomach gets irritated with me sometimes when I do that - other times it doesn't. I had to make a cake and some other stuff for a pot luck lunch tomorrow and that just made matters worse. Goodness only knows what I will be able to eat for lunch tomorrow - better take my own pot of salad I suppose.

How about a cheeseboard and some low carb seedy crackers?

Viv19

Breakfast tea
New car! It’s beautiful, but so technical!!
Cwc
Lunch 2 slices LC bread with assorted cheese, nuts. Yoghurt and berries.
Tea
Evening mixed salad (leaves, cherry toms, cucumber, 3 mushrooms, small amount of feta, garlic mustard dressing.) Baked salmon.
2 glasses of white wine.
Contemplating more yoghurt and berries. It’s my new ‘ice cream’ weakness.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of appointments for me, I squished everything into this week knowing I’d be back. Today podiatry and retinopathy, tomorrow HbA1c and a regular optician appt ( plus daughter’s gut related appt)
Food was CWC and TWAM all morning. Little bit of cheese as I was cutting teeny dice for Dennis treats.
Lunch: king prawns, 1/2 avocado and Marie Rose sauce. Montezuma’s chocolate afterwards.
Dinner cod fillet with crispy crumb ( sesame, mixed ground seeds, d&v) wilted spinach and celeriac chips. More Montezuma’s. DCWC

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm - Found myself in Morrison's today, so I thought I'd look for the chorizo paste you described a few days ago. Not in our local store. I even had the butcher walking from chilled are to chilled are with me, because she fancied the sound of it. Nada. :(

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of tea all day, some of which counts as breakfast. NE1 around, 14.20, was avocado and egg salad ( leaves were the baby spinach, kale, red chard and mizuna and there were other salady things) topped with chia seeds. NE2 was double sized flaxseed crackers spread with M and S whipped cream cheese, sprinkled liberally with grated cheddar + cucumber. All I need now is a menu for the other 3 seasons. @DJC3 best wishes for the A1c tomorrow, you will be fine. Were you chopping cheese for Dennis? We have always been told dogs must avoid cheese at all costs.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How about a cheeseboard and some low carb seedy crackers?
Thanks for the suggestion. I had the cheese and some home made pickles (no sugar) but no crackers. Can't take any specially made low carb items - things in them I can't cope with, so I just do without. Easier that way.

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A day of appointments for me, I squished everything into this week knowing I’d be back. Today podiatry and retinopathy, tomorrow HbA1c and a regular optician appt ( plus daughter’s gut related appt)
Food was CWC and TWAM all morning. Little bit of cheese as I was cutting teeny dice for Dennis treats.
Lunch: king prawns, 1/2 avocado and Marie Rose sauce. Montezuma’s chocolate afterwards.
Dinner cod fillet with crispy crumb ( sesame, mixed ground seeds, d&v) wilted spinach and celeriac chips. More Montezuma’s. DCWC
Good luck with all those appts @DJC3 especially hbac1 my full raft of blood tests is this coming Friday with results next Thursday. It will be interesting to see if the libre sensor will be close or not will have a months worth of data by time of results but know it’s threemonths average.
Will be thinking especially of you on Thursday and your daughter tomorrow what a mountain of medical stuff do take care x

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lots of tea all day, some of which counts as breakfast. NE1 around, 14.20, was avocado and egg salad ( leaves were the baby spinach, kale, red chard and mizuna and there were other salady things) topped with chia seeds. NE2 was double sized flaxseed crackers spread with M and S whipped cream cheese, sprinkled liberally with grated cheddar + cucumber. All I need now is a menu for the other 3 seasons. @DJC3 best wishes for the A1c tomorrow, you will be fine. Were you chopping cheese for Dennis? We have always been told dogs must avoid cheese at all costs.

I've always used tiny bits of cheese (and ham) to train dogs - I didn't know that they aren't supposed to have it. What does it do to them? (I've been bribing dogs with it for about 40 years). I know they mustn't have onions, pork, chocolate and some cooked bones that are brittle - and my lot get upset tummies if they have too much dairy - but but they've been okay with tiny cubes of cheese and ham.

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always used tiny bits of cheese (and ham) to train dogs - I didn't know that they aren't supposed to have it. What does it do to them? (I've been bribing dogs with it for about 40 years). I know they mustn't have onions, pork, chocolate and some cooked bones that are brittle - and my lot get upset tummies if they have too much dairy - but but they've been okay with tiny cubes of cheese and ham.
I think the advice we were given was to be on the safe side
https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/can-dogs-eat-cheese

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Were you chopping cheese for Dennis? We have always been told dogs must avoid cheese at all costs.

Really? I’ve never heard that. We’ve always used little bits of cheese as treats for our dogs. The trainer did the same last week and so did the trainer we saw when we first got our rescue dog some years ago.
I’ll have to look into it a bit more.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the suggestion. I had the cheese and some home made pickles (no sugar) but no crackers. Can't take any specially made low carb items - things in them I can't cope with, so I just do without. Easier that way.

Ah yes sorry, I remember your conversation with @gennepher about the difficulty swallowing so I should think crackers might cause problems. Hope it goes well, home made sugarless pickles sound excellent.

Reactions: Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with all those appts @DJC3 especially hbac1 my full raft of blood tests is this coming Friday with results next Thursday. It will be interesting to see if the libre sensor will be close or not will have a months worth of data by time of results but know it’s threemonths average.
Will be thinking especially of you on Thursday and your daughter tomorrow what a mountain of medical stuff do take care x

Thanks for the good wishes. I’m not expecting a brilliant HbA1c though - it’ll take in the period After stopping metformin plus recent stresses so bg has been a bit higher than it has been previously. So long as it’s in the non diabetic zone I’ll be happy, not looking for a reduction this time.
Good luck with yours, It’ll be interesting to see what the correlation is like after your Libre.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? I’ve never heard that. We’ve always used little bits of cheese as treats for our dogs. The trainer did the same last week and so did the trainer we saw when we first got our rescue dog some years ago.
I’ll have to look into it a bit more.

@ianpspurs I’ve just scrolled back and seen your response to @Chook. Thanks for the link.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
829F78F6-665E-4314-9F3C-19CAB87A8A38.jpeg
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Mexican style pulled chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: 1/2 M&S pepperoni meatzza with leafy salad and two cherry tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.