What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a blacked out hotel room not very far from Manchester Airport where the flight that my mother is sailing on is due to arrive at 0850. As she is a passenger that needs assistance, she will be last off the vehicle, being moved by the lift like a large steamer trunk.

The wonder wheel of adequate hotel fayre and rumbling air conditioning resulted in a not surprising adequate 5.9 at 0545.

There was something called “deep sleep pillow spray” on our bed when we arrived last night after battling out way through the log jam of frustration and overcrowding that is the Manchester road system. Firstly there are dire litigation protecting warnings on the packaging about the prospect of catching lurgy if any of the spray touched your skin, was squirted up your nose, into your eyes or inappropriately used by honeymooners. Secondly it’s effect is only intermittent at best - my “deep sleep” was issued in small cake-like slices of about 2.37 hours (within 2SD, skewed towards the left) and came with fretful nightmares about it being some sort of knockout drug and waking in a secret hotel food research lab, being fed half developed instant meals mainly containing turkey twizzlers by a crazed Jamie Oliver or even causing male pattern baldness in unsuspecting female guests who used too much.

Anyhow, best get ready to ride the shuttle bus the 500m to T3 and collect previously mentioned parent from the carousel.

Have a great day if you can, the day cannot be repeated - life is not a rehearsal.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Have run off my packing list for my trip to London. I just love ticking off the items on my list as I pack them. Sad isn't it!

Have a great trip - hope the weather is kindly.
My packing is always last minute, one bag and includes an over the bath washing line and a tube of travel soap.
I do though make a thorough list of things not to pack.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fbg 7.3

An amazing downturn again.

Warning...this is a bit of a long post About what i think is the reason for this going down of my fbg (and my during the day numbers)...maybe make a coffee first if you want to read further.

I have been making more notes and stuff in my notebook. And trying to design a spreadsheet to help with what I want to make concise notes on. The spreadsheet has been developing for a week now. So I will draw the final copy out today on an A4 sheet of paper. It is a weekly spreadsheet. And I will photocopy it. I don't crunch data and do statistics, but I like a more visual way of seeing my data.

The main thing for this reduction in fbg ( and other daily numbers) appears to be by eating everything before midday. And absolutely nothing after midday. Not even a packet of pork scratchings, not even a piece of chocolate, not even a babybel cheese.

Depending on my day, whether I am at home or going out etc, determines when in the morning I eat the bulk of my food.

If I have to go out, and I am going out by myself then I eat the bulk of my morning food for breakfast. Maybe pop a babybel or two in my bag for midmorning.

If I am going out to meet friends, then wherever we meet (it is usually in the morning, but not always), I have to make sure beforehand that I can choose the food I have decided is the best for my diabetes and blood sugar.

I am meeting friends tomorrow and they wanted the afternoon teas (all those cream cakes, and no I dont fancy them or even hanker for them, but it's at 2 pm), so there is absolutely nothing there for me, so I renegotiated with them and we have agreed to meet at 12:30. So I will have the roast lunch minus potatoes and they will have a coffee. Then at 2pm they can have their afternoon tea and I will have a pot of tea. it is in a location where any of us can wander off during the afternoon (it's a fabric and craft mills)to do a little shopping or look around. And I think it is better than everyone sitting round an afternoon tea afternoon finally getting bored, and possibly thinking thank goodness we can go home now (I know I do, and some people go silent for a bit and fidgety). This is the first time I have been assertive as this and stated my needs (I did initially say I wouldn't go so they could have their afternoon tea, but they said no we wil find a compromise). So I will be eating a wee bit later, but not so much that it will impact on my readings or GERD for an odd occasion. I will probably have a breakfast of scrambled eggs and cheese first thing.

I have also renegotiated with another friend who i meet for a meal about locations and time. I have come up with some new places which satisfies her need for browsing in shops. (I absolutely hate browsing in shops, especially clothes, she tries all this stuff on with no intention to buy, but we all have to compromise somewhere)

So, if I am at home for the day, then all my food is eaten before midday. Depending on how my body feels that day, then i will have the bulk of the morning's food at breakfast. Or two smaller meals before midday. Either way seems to work in stabilising blood sugars.

I do live on my own, only have to see to myself as regards food, so this is probably easier for me than most of you. You have families, partners, probably frequent family gatherings. It must be very hard. I just have to deal with myself and my own mindset, which can be nuisance at times, but if I am 'strict' with myself, at least at this stage, then I still have room for experimentation adding different foods, but still sticking to my before 12 noon rule of eating.

I have written this as record to myself, as well, for my journey in this.

Also I am losing weight on a daily basis by eating everything before noon.

I was eating the same amount of food before, but spreading further into the afternoon probably up to about 3 pm. And I was not losing any weight with that time window even if i didnt start to eat until 11am.

I don't understand how I can lose weight just by eating the same foods, but in an earlier time window, the morning, but that is what is happening.

Anything can change in diabetes. But I hope this way of eating continues for me.

I did read somewhere that when you get your blood sugar under control, then the weight will naturally fall off. I can't remember the exact explanation but it was something to do with the body using the sugar input more correctly (bad explanation, but best I can do).

Thank you for reading. I will go and make a coffee, and then come back and edit any mistakes or spelling mistakes or predictive text mistakes (predictive text can make a whole different story to what you are actually writing, and I am typing from a separate keyboard to my iPad with my eyes shut, a longer post is hard to write for me, strains my eyes).

So back in a bit to check.

Take care.

>^..^<

Well, an interesting read.
My GP gave me the simplest explanation for controlling blood sugars:
Your insulin has to be shared between all the cells in your body.
The fewer the cells, the more insulin each cell gets.
So - the lighter your body - the better the blood sugars.

A bit simplistic but simple explanations that give a visual representation are usually the best and basically, what enables us to shed cells is sorting out a WOE that works and increasing movement.

What you are doing is clearly working for you - happy days (overall - with some fed up bits chucked in to remind you that you are human).

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who partake in nation bin day, remember bin day is truly tolerant of all irrespective of colour, type or creed.

After a bad night ( details omitted to protect eyesight ) a smiling 6.7 for me and me's this morning, I am now worried my meter is planning something.........

Well folks remember, remember what you may well ask, but not me I've forgotten already.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, an interesting read.
My GP gave me the simplest explanation for controlling blood sugars:
Your insulin has to be shared between all the cells in your body.
The fewer the cells, the more insulin each cell gets.
So - the lighter your body - the better the blood sugars.

A bit simplistic but simple explanations that give a visual representation are usually the best and basically, what enables us to shed cells is sorting out a WOE that works and increasing movement.

What you are doing is clearly working for you - happy days (overall - with some fed up bits chucked in to remind you that you are human).

@dunelm Thank you!

I like that simple visual picture.

The 'fed up bits' will be my cue to reassess what went on before...

>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.0 today, odd day yesterday, very tired all day, didnt eat lunchtime on.
@DJC3 good luck to you today and especially tomo. Also best wishes to your daughter with her consultation. @pavlosn hope the cold doesnt get too bad! @dunelm hope your mum arrives safely. @Bubbsie hope today isnt so hectic.
Havent had time yet to catch up properly. Off for my review with new DN in a minute.
Have a good Wed. Stay well, stay safe.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a great trip - hope the weather is kindly.
My packing is always last minute, one bag and includes an over the bath washing line and a tube of travel soap.
I do though make a thorough list of things not to pack.
That sounds exactly how much my husband packs - it only takes him 10 minutes. It takes me longer than that to read through my packing list, update it then run it off.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An unsurprising 6.5 for me. Might not bother testing for a day or two, not really useful.
Daughter’s appt was pretty inconclusive, a locum doctor and a load more tests ordered but no attempt to bring hospital appt and colonoscopy forward ( it’s not til Oct. a long wait for something so debilitating)
@PenguinMum hope all goes well with the DN today, I’m sure she’ll be thrilled with you.
@Krystyna23040 I love a list too. I often start a ‘to do’ list with stuff I have already done, just so I can tick them off straight away!
@gennepher I was so impressed by your post and they way you’ve worked out what works for you. Well done.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 this morning. Have run off my packing list for my trip to London. I just love ticking off the items on my list as I pack them. Sad isn't it!

Not at all. I do the same. :D

FBG 6.5 on a morning of lowering grey clouds. The rain has stopped for now, and the bug taking shelter on my window-screen has flown away before being spotted by the KittenCat.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher back home and have had time to read your earlier post about the success you have had eating your day’s food in the first half of the day. It is very interesting and inspiring to others to try and tweak our habits of eating as required. I am lucky that if I eat the right (for me) food in the right quantities at traditional times I seem to manage ok (for now). However you have illustrated how improvements are possible from changing up what and when we eat. Thanks for sharing.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 thats a bit disappointing for your daughter (and you) that they couldnt bring forward her hospital appointment and colonoscopy. I wonder what timeline the rules of entitlement are. Difficult week for you but I’m sure your check up tomo will be good.
Keeping all xd. X

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher back home and have had time to read your earlier post about the success you have had eating your day’s food in the first half of the day. It is very interesting and inspiring to others to try and tweak our habits of eating as required. I am lucky that if I eat the right (for me) food in the right quantities at traditional times I seem to manage ok (for now). However you have illustrated how improvements are possible from changing up what and when we eat. Thanks for sharing.

I hope your appointment with the DN went well.

Reactions: gennepher

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My new DN is young enthusiastic and knows a bit about the success of low carb. We had a good conversation, she agreed starches arent good but as regards offering meters on dx she said it would be too costly. She and her mum are currently doing the Mosely 800 cal diet for her mum to lose weight (neither Diabetic) but she said they feel hungry a lot of the time. I pointed her to this website which she agreed was far more informative than the other one. She concluded that most of her older patients just dont want to give up the basics (ie. bread, potatoes) so she encourages them to cut back. All interesting! I got a smiley sticker btw.