Honeymoon’s over. How did you get past this?

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I was diagnosed T2 a year ago. I went immediately onto LCHF and my numbers dropped to non diabetic levels within a couple of months. I joined the gym (and actually went!) taking classes 3 times a week. I was flying and feeling fabulous.
Then I wasn’t.
About three months ago I just started to loose momentum and I’m really struggling to get back to the gym or care enough to make interesting food. My numbers are still good (5-8) as I’m not eating bad stuff, but I need to get my enthusiasm back again.

My question is this: how do you keep motivated to live your best LCHF exercising positive life? Thank you for taking the time.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If I feel that I am slackening off or losing interest I read Jason Fung's book The Diabetes Code. It has an excellent chapter on all the things that can go wrong with your health when you don't manage your diabetes. Works for me!
Also, keep watching the YouTube presentations from lowcarbdownunder, etc.

Reactions: ShelleyDubs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we all go through cycles of this.
It is soooo easy when we start out. The enthusiasm, the success. Seeing the numbers drop and the improvements happen.
But then gradualy, over time, it just becomes the new normal, and the same old, same old.
Voice of experience, here!

My suggestion is to mix it up a bit.
Not talking about introducing carbs, but rather doing things differently. New exercise routines, a new hobby, trying out new recipes. Anything and everything you can do to add some variety or motivation into your routine.

You could sign up to the DietDoctor 2 week keto challenge, which I found excellent for introducing new flavour combos and interesting recipes.
You could sign up to an exercise class, or get a new exercise video
In my case (and I am NOT suggesting that this would work for you!) when my gym enthusiasm waned, I thought long and hard, and decided that relying on my own motivations hadn't worked in the last 45 years, so why expect anything to change? More long hard thinking, and we did what I had been wanting to do for the whole of those 45 years - we got a dog. And now I HAVE to exercise the dog (we now have 3). Every day. It may be crawling about the floor playing Tug o War and Deer Take Down if the weather is foul, or it may be walking them, but my responsibility to them means that I exercise myself.
- so what I am suggesting is that you look deeply for a motivation that will work for you, long term, where your desire to stay on track exceeds your desire to avoid the effort.
I completely realise that this is easier said than done!

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your brilliant advice. I will follow all of it (except get a doggy as my cats would not approve ). Thank you for replying, it really helps!

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that it's the same for many of us - it's almost like a form of depression sets in. The motivation just goes and we think "what's the point?" - and yes, knowing the complications that can set in should motivate us, but sometimes even that doesn't (well it does for a while then fades again in my case). I have a room full of gym kit at home, and an excellent online fitness app I pay for - but getting myself in the right place to use either isn't happening a lot I was looking at gyms yesterday but realised that I'd been in and out of them for years - same story each time, go like mad for 3 months then slow down until I don't go at all. I adopted a dog in September and I take him out at 5am 7 days a week rain or shine, we walk 2.5~3 miles. That's the one thing I will always do. It's brought my BP down but not much else.

I have gotten back on the LCHF wagon and have reduced my BG a lot in about a week, and now find my motivation to work out is coming back. This forum is a great source of inspiration too, I just look at the success stories and it helps fore me up :) Hang in there.

S

Last edited:

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Congrats on your success! I can also recommend dietdoctor, you can get a free month of premium too.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that it's the same for many of us - it's almost like a form of depression sets in. The motivation just goes and we think "what's the point?" - and yes, knowing the complications that can set in should motivate us, but sometimes even that doesn't (well it does for a while then fades again in my case). I have a room full of gym kit at home, and an excellent online fitness app I pay for - but getting myself in the right place to use either isn't happening a lot I was looking at gyms yesterday but realised that I'd been in and out of them for years - same story each time, go like mad for 3 months then slow down until I don't go at all. I adopted a dog in September and I take him out at 5am 7 days a week rain or shine, we walk 2.5~3 miles. That's the one thing I will always do. It's brought my BP down but not much else.

I have gotten back on the LCHF wagon and have reduced my BG a lot in about a week, and now find my motivation to work out is coming back. This forum is a great source of inspiration too, I just look at the success stories and it helps fore me up :) Hang in there.

S

Thank you for your reply. It helps so much to hear real stories from real people sometimes. I’m feeling quite a lot better the past few days and feel positive I can move forward again. Motivation is a fickle thing but we are strong.

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Congrats on your success! I can also recommend dietdoctor, you can get a free month of premium too.

Thank you! I love diet doctor. I’ve used quite a few recipes from there already. Thanks again for the support. It means a lot!

PamJHS

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm feeling the same - going on holiday with the family last week completely disrupted my eating so keeping low carb was quite difficult. I was obviously badly prepared for this. But whereas I felt I was 'in the zone' with low carb eating, I'm now finding it an effort. I do want to avoid meds after my next GP blood test, so I'm sticking with it. Am looking for inspiration, I guess.

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear you are feeling de-motivated, ShellyDubs - join the club! I'm having (?unrelated) health issues at the moment and having a hard time keeping going with the healthy lifestyle, especially exercise. However, as a veteran T2 of 12 years' standing, I know that I will start to feel better soon. It comes and goes but we just need to keep trying. Don't beat yourself up and follow the good advice you are getting on here.

Reactions: Brunneria