What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

Lots of tea all day, some of which counts as breakfast. NE1 around, 14.20, was avocado and egg salad ( leaves were the baby spinach, kale, red chard and mizuna and there were other salady things) topped with chia seeds. NE2 was double sized flaxseed crackers spread with M and S whipped cream cheese, sprinkled liberally with grated cheddar + cucumber. All I need now is a menu for the other 3 seasons. @DJC3 best wishes for the A1c tomorrow, you will be fine. Were you chopping cheese for Dennis? We have always been told dogs must avoid cheese at all costs.

I think cheese is fine in small amounts ianpspurs. I’ve always trained our dogs with cheese because the smell is quite strong for them so even if the piece is tiny and they gulp it down (and sometimes it doesn’t even touch the sides) they are always keen to work for it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on catch up again! @Rachox - what a horrid thing to happen to your Hubby. I do hope he's OK now (sorry I still have >100 posts to get through) @gennefer - I think I wished you a Happy Birthday - if not I hope you had a wonderful time & you too @PenguinMum for yesterday. I think my last post was last Thursday so let's get Friday out of the way before I read a bit more. Friday was grandson free again but I still ended up running about because I finally got my car back. The problem had been the diesel particulate filter which had totally clogged and caused all the other issues. Apparently it was put on your reduce emissions but they know this happens and every so often you should run the car on a low gear with high revs to clear it! I've since heard loads of others who had the same problems.
Bed 7.2 FBG 6.9 BGs still all over the place.
Friday
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. The remains of the prawns, anchovies, mozzarella Pearl's, lettuce, tomato and roasted artichoke.
D. Yet another meat'zza with lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, helmans.
2 bits Lindt 90%.

Lots more to follow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tandoori king prawns sound like a good bet. Popadoms are so difficult to resist aren’t they?
Thankfully I've never liked popadoms but garlic naan....now that's a different matter! But at least the diet doctor version is edible.

Reactions: Viv19

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
08-07-19
Breakfast: nut granola, 2 teas, 2 fried eggs and a mashed avocado. Have discovered why I previously disliked them. Back in time to dinner parties with parents, prawn cocktail served in avocado halves. They were mostly hard, horrible texture. Put me off for years.
MrSlim is back to work on the building site that will be our kitchen. Whether he is fit or not. Ofc he needs a bùilders mate. So you know who is it. Its not exactly the light pottering about I think he should be doing. But by the end of the day we have nearly finished plasterboarding. Told him time to finish at 5.30, but then he was refitting the door, ( the one that was accidentally opened before it was screwed into place, so it fell out of the frame)so it was 7.30pm before he actually stopped working. The door still doesn't fit.
Lunch: ham salad and a chunk of cheese.
Dinner: faux filet steak, onions, salad, next doors cat joined us, brought its own dinner! yoghurt and berries afterwards somewhere in the day i had icecream

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
08-07-17
Am way behind here, with both reading and posting
just realise it was yesterday i had icecream not sunday... thats what happens when you get behind.
Good news is readings were 6.0 before icecream, 6.2 after an hour and 5.7 after two hours, this is especially amazing because was sat at computer, so no exercise to dreg the BG down. Was busy swatting ants at three hours so no reading for then.
other meals normal sort of things.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Less than 100 to go so another quick addition. @SlimLizzy - wow, you are having your trials. My Hubby has one of these electronic racquets for the flying, biting things. I hope your ants have been dealt with by the time I fully catch up.
Saturday - I am glad to say the in laws situation was resolved and they were sorted out with a river cruise on the Danube. I spent the whole morning printing documents, sorting flights, checking them in , confirming taxi transfers etc. Years of business travel left me with organising habits and an eye for spotting issues - like they only had 40 mins between a flight change in Amsterdam. Anyway, that let them get themselves ready while I prepared a neat documents folder.
Bed 6.7 FBG 7.4 but still getting DPs in the 9's.
B. TAG with ADOC while up to my eyes in travel docs.
L. Mozzarella, tomato, artichoke and 1/2 avocado.
D. In laws are off tomorrow so we all went off for a Thai and I took my raw cauli rice with me as our thai stir fries it first me. I did have a 1/4 of chicken toast (its delicious), 1 rib, veggies and squid. Prawn red curry, weeping tiger (sirloin strips with a fiery sauce), beef with green beans and 1 strip of chicken - all with cauli rice. We're very much a - all dishes in the middle and pick. I did however have a tia Maria and have still not shaken off the effects in the mornings. Lots of dry white wine and a brandy coffee.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I could do with a chef myself to save all the bother of cooking but I know I would just criticise and think I could do it better. Any time I have eaten out (rare) I have done exactly that - wondered why I bothered when I could do it better, and cheaper, myself. I did, in fact, train as a chef in a past life (which is why I am critical of the efforts of others - professionals) and used to enjoy cooking. Still do in the once in a while when I can be bothered to get going
Oh how I agree with you. I do eat out (mainly to stop me killing someone as I cook for everyone) on occasion but I work on the principal of never ordering something I know I can make better myself. I learnt to cook in a French restaurant from a young age and just kept up the learning even when I went off to the world of finance.

Reactions: ianpspurs and Viv19

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And...at least I've caught up on reading the posts. @Goonergal I'd say safe journey but you must be home now and getting over jet lag. Hope you had a wonderful holiday.
I'm up to Sunday now. In laws set off to the airport armed with my 'instructional' folder that saved them reading through 80 odd pages of travel docs. Got a text to say everything fine, hire car back, bags dropped and checked through to Budapest and they were relaxing with a coffee waiting to board. Didn't last - they picked up a 35 min delay and you may recall they only hadv40 mins to make their connection in Amsterdam. Told them don't panic, their departure gate in Amsterdam was directly above the gate they were landing at. Tell the cabin crew what your connection is and be prepared to be rushed up one level. Meantime I reckoned there was a good chance pilot would make up the time but I'd track both flights. To cut a long story short, he did make up time, they did have to run between gates and amazingly even their hold luggage made it. So they arrived for two peaceful days in Budapest before the cruise. After all that I had to get out for shopping.
Bed 9 FBG 8.3 thanks to the Tia Maria.
B. TAG with ADOC. Inbetween keeping in laws sane, 2 GF pork chipolatas, fried egg, portobello mushroom, santini tomatoes, 2 rashers crispy streaky bacon.
L. Nothing
D. Rib eye, veggie chips, asparagus, mushrooms, mini cob. Raspberries and cream. Usual campari and soda.
Was exhausted when I went to bed.

Monday - no grandsons today either. In laws keeping me informed with WhatsApp. One of the couples they were supposed to meet in Rome also managed to get onto the same river cruise but neither knew they had so it was a surprise meet up in Budapest. I went for a relaxing Aqua class to unwind.
Bed 8.1 FBG 8 - need to stay away from Tia Maria!
B. TAG with ADOC. After aqua had a brunch of 2 GF pork chipolatas, 1 fried egg and 4 rashers of crispy streaky bacon.
L. Went off to a Sainbury's in Edinburgh to pick up an engraved plate for BIL fircwhen we meet up again in 3 weeks. Hubby came too but he regretted it - biggest Sainsbury's EVER! I tried to be quick but failed.
D. Got 2 Sainsbury's fishy dishes. 1 mussels with white wine and garlic and 1 scallops and prawn bisque. They're tapas size dishes but very tasty. Had one of each with asparagus. Had a few strawberries and raspberries with cream.
2 bits Lindt 90%.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And finally! Tuesday. River cruiser boarded and they're heading towards Vienna overnight. Grandsons back although they had 2 hours at a holiday club first. Its very muggy and very wet today. No 1 grandson very pleased with himself as a horrid boy who keeps after him at school was there and he was throwing balls at him. No 1 ignored him and walked away which infuriated the little thug with the result (as No 1 said) it was so good he was the one in trouble not me.
Bed 7.8 FBG 7.5 still getting the DP surge though.
B. Another 2 GF pork chipolatas, 1 fried egg and 4 rashers of crispy streaky bacon. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing
D. The other dish of the fishy mussels and scallops/prawns from yesterday. Also had a burrata cheese with tomato. 2 bits of Lindt 90%.
Tomorrow- back to the ironing and catch up on cleaning as rain is forecast.
After that marathon - night night.

Viv19

Thankfully I've never liked popadoms but garlic naan....now that's a different matter! But at least the diet doctor version is edible.

My absolute favourite bread to eat with curry was roti chanai - they kind of brush it with oil and fold it so it ends up as a flaky flatbread. It’s delicious with curry sauce. I tried a few times to make it but was sadly never successful.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Viv19

And finally! Tuesday. River cruiser boarded and they're heading towards Vienna overnight. Grandsons back although they had 2 hours at a holiday club first. Its very muggy and very wet today. No 1 grandson very pleased with himself as a horrid boy who keeps after him at school was there and he was throwing balls at him. No 1 ignored him and walked away which infuriated the little thug with the result (as No 1 said) it was so good he was the one in trouble not me.
Bed 7.8 FBG 7.5 still getting the DP surge though.
B. Another 2 GF pork chipolatas, 1 fried egg and 4 rashers of crispy streaky bacon. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing
D. The other dish of the fishy mussels and scallops/prawns from yesterday. Also had a burrata cheese with tomato. 2 bits of Lindt 90%.
Tomorrow- back to the ironing and catch up on cleaning as rain is forecast.
After that marathon - night night.

Clever planning to book the river cruise. Several friends (from Australia, Canada, Germany) have done it, and the weather at the moment is ideal. Between 22 and 25C depending on where they are, mostly sunny, cool at night, maybe an odd thunderstorm which doesn’t matter. How far are they going Maglil55?

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clever planning to book the river cruise. Several friends (from Australia, Canada, Germany) have done it, and the weather at the moment is ideal. Between 22 and 25C depending on where they are, mostly sunny, cool at night, maybe an odd thunderstorm which doesn’t matter. How far are they going Maglil55?
They disembark in Nuremberg then coach to Prague for a few days before flying back to Gatwick then they are back on the previous schedule.

Reactions: Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday’s food:
Breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: met couple of friends in Browns and had the two course special lunch. Chose warm goats cheese, walnuts, cherry tomato salad followed by Pollock mini fillets (some crumb) swapped the spuds for extra salad.
Wasnt hungry for the rest of the day so didnt eat again. Felt very very tired so early night.

Viv19

They disembark in Nuremberg then coach to Prague for a few days before flying back to Gatwick then they are back on the previous schedule.

Gorgeous. Our (German) friend did it with her family (an annual famiky get together with her brother’s Anerican family too) and said that they really enjoyed it. We’ve only done a day trip from Passau to Linz with Mum and Dad a few years ago, returned by train. It was very relaxing.
Edit typo

Last edited:

Viv19

Oh how I agree with you. I do eat out (mainly to stop me killing someone as I cook for everyone) on occasion but I work on the principal of never ordering something I know I can make better myself. I learnt to cook in a French restaurant from a young age and just kept up the learning even when I went off to the world of finance.

My rule when eating out was never to order something that I would eat/cook at home. It’s had to be tweaked now to fit the LCHF woe.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Finally catching up properly.

Goonergal, I hope you saved your Libre to send back to Abbott, after you call them, when you get home? Our Airfryer has a rotisserie function, although we haven't actually used it in that mode yet. We keep saying we will, but never quite get around to it.

Kicking myself as I threw the Libre out. Know I should have kept it - could have gone back with the one that failed just before I went away. Rotisserie will be missed mostly because of the ease of picking it up ready cooked and eating 5 minutes later.

Bon voyage. It seems like you’ve been away ages.

Thanks. Nice long break, but wouldn’t have objected to staying :D

I think you should defo consider organising a group visit to that shop in the future...I’m in!

Definitely up for this!

@Goonergal I'd say safe journey but you must be home now and getting over jet lag. Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Thanks. Great time. Good news about the in laws, their flights and the cruise.

Planned OMAD today, but hunger set in early so ate a small bag of salted almonds and a bag of cheddar Whisps.

Dinner is in the slow cooker and will be shoulder of lamb and cream has been bought for tomorrow morning’s tea.

Viv19

Help
I was diagnosed with type 2 in April told to lose weight and come back after bloods in 3 months !! 3 months is now up ...have I lost weight ...no !! I received no guidance on what to eat and what to avoid I can't do much exercise as I also have fibromyalgia so am in constant pain I don't know what to do I have an appointment with diabetes essentials at the end of the month but don't know where to start please can some one advise me xx

I’m sure there will be lots of advice for you on the forum. In the meantime, I suggest you start reading the Low Carb Diet Forum threads, also Low Carb explained in 60 seconds. There are several links that you will find interesting.