Alcohol and Fasting levels?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been eating low carb for a number of months now but have had the odd days with a few extra carbs. I haven't had any alcohol much until we opened a bottle of red wine a few days ago for my husband's birthday and then I had a couple of glasses two nights in a row.
I also made a hazelnut meal cake with a bit of sugar and melted chocolate and cream topping and strawberries for my family and I had a small piece, which, at the one hour mark, had me around 6.2mmol. I didn't test before or at the 2h mark though.

Later in the evening after eating roast chicken, lamb and pork (small amounts) and also a few roasted brussel sprouts, I was around 5.0 around 90 mins later.

Then I thought I could finish off my salad of lightly steamed green beans, broccoli, walnuts and bocconcini cheese with lemon juice and olive oil, and have a bit of red wine.

I didn't check my bs before bed.

I was up at 4am with baby so I thought I would do a random bs check to see what's happening overnight.

It was 5.7mmol, which is the highest reading I've ever had. (I'd had 5.6 mmol at the end of pregnancy with gestational diabetes).

Not quite an hour later after breastfeeding I checked again: 5.6mmol.

Then around 8am it was 5.4mmol. Which I guess is not terrible but still higher than it was last week when I was getting 4.8 or 4.9mmol.

So I'm wondering, of all the naughty things I ate yesterday, is the likely cause a combination of these things, perhaps a little overeating?
It is accumulative, that even though after eating the cake the spike seemed not to be too high (although it could have gone higher at the 2 hours and I wouldn't have known) but it still adds up to a bigger liver dump though the night?

Or are green beans and broccoli late at night after having brussel sprouts earlier in the evening enough that the liver had extra stores again and dumped them out through the night when insulin efficiency was perhaps affected by alcohol consumption?

Obviously the combination ain't great. Alcohol though is the main recent addition to my diet after a long stretch without any so I'm curious if that's the main culprit here.

Any idea?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my experience wine greatly reduces my levels. However if you were grazing over the evening that could affect you. It still isn’t exactly high. I’d be pleased with a FBG of that.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
In my experience wine greatly reduces my levels. However if you were grazing over the evening that could affect you. It still isn’t exactly high. I’d be pleased with a FBG of that.

I know I shouldn't whinge about levels between 4 and 6 mmol. It's just that I did another GTT (8 weeks postpartum after having gestational diabetes) and my fasting level was apparently 4.4 mmol for that test so 5.7 mmol seems really high in comparison.

And you're probably right about it being the grazing...

I'm having a wine again this evening (just one glass this time) and I've been grazing on a salad with some cheese for nearly 2 hours, coming back and forth while putting the kids to bed. My bs hasn't done much tonight. 5.0 before starting the meal/wine, 5.3 at one hour, 5.6 at 2 hours, and 5.2 at 3 hours.

Yesterday was probably about overeating, eating late at night, and eating a few too many carbs in vegetable form (green beans, broccoli), plus I probably had some milk after it. Just too much food. I look at my bs in the 5s sometimes and think it gives me a licence to eat, even if I'm not hungry, and that's a mistake.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that alcohol lowers my bs "in the moment" but for a couple of days after both my bs and my weight rise slightly - been like this for 10 years even when I was on gliclizide

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that alcohol lowers my bs "in the moment" but for a couple of days after both my bs and my weight rise slightly - been like this for 10 years even when I was on gliclizide
Yeah, I have read that alcohol will cause a lower bs the next morning (short term) but long term makes you more insulin resistant.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find the worst thing I can do is take a long time I we a meal, eat continuously (grazing) or eat late at night. It always my levels higher.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have thought that being woken in the early hours is likely to put anyone's levels up

Yes, but not consistently for me though. I've been up with baby every night for the past 9 weeks and my fasting readings have only been that high once. At the beginning they were still in the 5s rather than 4s but the postpartum hormones are also still an influence for around 6 weeks.

But I'm with you on stress being cause of higher blood glucose levels for sure.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the worst thing I can do is take a long time I we a meal, eat continuously (grazing) or eat late at night. It always my levels higher.
I think you are right about the grazing, although last night I "grazed" slowly (really I went back and forth to a big bowl of salad with nuts, cheese and tuna and the last glass of wine from the bottle we opened the other day. I think because carbs were very limited it was fine to be nibbling on those things for 2 hours.
The readings I got last night were:
Before: 5.0
1h : 5.3
2h : 5.6
3h : 5.2
Before bed / 3am (up with baby) 5.0
830am: 4.7 fasting

Much better than yesterday. Probably just too many carbs last time.

Reactions: Flora123