woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So I’ve come to Poole for a few days.

Have relaxed good a bit namely because I find eating out so blooming stressful and in a hotel there isn’t really any low carb stuff.

Brekkie is fine just a fry up (although not convinced of their sausages) but have to be better than carbs.

Lunch either nothing or two tins of tuna no drain things

During the day I have an ice cream or two (tub not cone)

Might as ever is the issue.

Whatever I order is covered in something or whatever. Not worried because I’m doing loads of walking at monkey world during the day.

But Lordy I can feel it.

Bloods at night hit 13 last night, 11 the first night. During the day yesterday was 7in the 7 all day so happy with that.

This morning I feel about 5 years pregnant and blinding headache.

There is one thing I eyed up on menu that could be better which is a pork thing but it is with ratatouille which I’m assuming is going to be packed with sugar.
But I guess if I saw the spuds for veg that might be ok.

Two days not being ultra low carb and my body feels like it is broken. Can’t see me ever reversing this diabetes nonsense.

I may come off meds if I’m
Lucky but I’m
Thinking it will only be controlled because one little thing and poof!!

But I’m also on my hols and I’m enjoying myself. Although I want to be but careful do I keep enjoying my hols and not just feel iller everyday.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first started I too found eating out hard but now not so much. I ask to swap the potatoes/rice/pasta for more salad or veg usually checking the “sides” section to see what’s already in the menu. Any dressings or sauce I ask for on the side. I tend to pick creamy sauces or ask if sugar is added. Some meals are much simpler to swap out parts of than others and yes I have a more limited range of choices but it’s perfectly doable.

Another option is putting starters and sides together to make a meal. Be prepared to think a little outside the box. Don’t be afraid to ask the waiter. I just say medically I can’t eat sugar and starches and can they swap them out for me. I’ve never been told no. Some are a bit clueless, hence I have my alternative requests ready. Some are brilliant and can’t help enough.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating in the same place? Post the menu and we’ll help with ideas

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not have a salad with a cheese omelette and salad with your tuna or something like KFC and remove the coating Nandos is good as it is just grilled chicken or even a burger and just leave the roll you could have fish and take off the batter or as it is at the seaside it would not be difficult to find a fish restaurant that grills fish without the batter and shell fish is really good . love mussels myself . You can have any meat how about a steak for instance and just ask for green veg or a salad instead of chips and if a dish comes with sauce just ask them to leave it off it is really not that difficult to find something suitable and you are on holiday so enjoy it

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is one thing I eyed up on menu that could be better which is a pork thing but it is with ratatouille which I’m assuming is going to be packed with sugar.
I make ratatouille a lot, no added sugar and the ingredients are low carb. It doesn't affect my BG and I don't have a small portion!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
ratatouille which I’m assuming is going to be packed with sugar.

That's going to depend on how it's made. I use tinned ratatouille in several recipes because it's quick and easy. The co-op tins I use has 11 gms of carb per 390 gms so I only have half of that. Not so bad, depends on how many carbs you allow yourself. I use it in stews, shepherds/cottage pie (no potato), lasagne (no pasta, I use sheets of leek). It doesn't affect my BG (I use a Freestyle Libre to monitor).

If the recipe includes squash, there might be more carbs, but I like ratatouille and it doesn't give me any grief.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in Whitehaven the other week and went into a restaurant for a set two course lunch, thought I may have problems finding something on the menu I could eat but there was a good selection that could work with a few tweaks. I chose the fish and chips option, I asked for the fish to be without batter and they offered to bain marie it for me, I also swapped the chips for a mixed salad. I thought the cost may have increased because I was not really eating from the set menu but no, they couldn't have been more accommodating or friendly, food was lush and I will certainly visit again when I am next in Cumbria. I only had the main course but the friend I was with (who is also diabetic) had a first course of Carrot and Orange soup, fish and chips and followed this with the sweet I didn't dare have. She chose Lakeland ice cream which is my very, very, favourite. At least she chose the ice cream over sticky toffee pudding. Hope her meds were working well for her that day!

Did you have to provide the tins of tuna or the hotel you were staying at? It might be worth checking with the hotel to ask if they could do the pork with salad or sprouts of something?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It’s at premier inn and I’m eating there all week.

I’ll take pic of the menu tonight

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Here’s menu. Most things are ok on the deal but some you can’t have.

I can’t eat lettuce as it upsets stomach and way I feel at mo I wouldn’t risk it

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
IMG_0169.jpg

Last night fir starter I had the lamb kofta without bread and extra salad

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so no lettuce is a problem with menus like this as they don’t seem to have heard of vegetables! All lettuce types? The rest of the salad ok? Ask for the bits you can eat

Are you stuck eating here? for an accommodation and meal deal? If not take a walk around for more variety and better choices.

Olives and feta, Chicken squewers, kofta, maybe soup depending on what it is and ingredients, or prawn cocktail all obviously without bread. I’d ask for extra of the salad you can eat to replace it.

Steaks and grills are ok without chips, again ask for the salad you can eat, the coleslaw might be ok. I know it’ll be a less desirable oil but you’re going to need to compromise. Test carefully maybe. Go easy on the peas maybe.

They offer bunless burgers.

Rogan josh or chicken makhani. Swapping rice for salad

Gammon steak
Halloumi
Sea bass, swap the chips for salad

Ask for the swaps and do so in a way that assumes it’s fine (staff more likely to see it as reasonable if you do too). Call it an intolerance if need be as places are pretty hot on that.

And afterward go for a walk to bring down any higher than wanted numbers.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s at premier inn and I’m eating there all week.

I’ll take pic of the menu tonight

If you're in a Premier Inn, do you have to eat there? I'd tend to use that as a sleeping place and have my eating adventures in different places each day/meal.

Reactions: HSSS

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in Whitehaven the other week and went into a restaurant for a set two course lunch, thought I may have problems finding something on the menu I could eat but there was a good selection that could work with a few tweaks. I chose the fish and chips option, I asked for the fish to be without batter and they offered to bain marie it for me, I also swapped the chips for a mixed salad. I thought the cost may have increased because I was not really eating from the set menu but no, they couldn't have been more accommodating or friendly, food was lush and I will certainly visit again when I am next in Cumbria. I only had the main course but the friend I was with (who is also diabetic) had a first course of Carrot and Orange soup, fish and chips and followed this with the sweet I didn't dare have. She chose Lakeland ice cream which is my very, very, favourite. At least she chose the ice cream over sticky toffee pudding. Hope her meds were working well for her that day!

Did you have to provide the tins of tuna or the hotel you were staying at? It might be worth checking with the hotel to ask if they could do the pork with salad or sprouts of something?
Restaurant name please, I'm in the Whitehaven area next week

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 34216
Last night fir starter I had the lamb kofta without bread and extra salad

From that menu
Starters
King Prawns ignore the bread or ask for it to be removed
Lamb Koftas probably fine again ditch the bread
Chicken and chorizo skewers sound great and keto!

Mains
Steaks obvs
Burgers ditch the bun and fries
Mixed grill ditch the fries , peas and tomato
Gammon steak no chips peas or toms ask for an extra egg?
Slow cooked pork chop ask for no ratatouille maybe and no pots?

Greek salad has no lettuce..
Sounds like about half the menu is fine?
Keep some sliced cheese in your room for pudding?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In Whitehaven there is a place called the Hungry Caterpillar- thy do a great menu where you pick a protein then your sides - the food is really good - Also try the Glass House - they do afternoon tea a bit differently- a gentlemen one which is meats and stuff - there is pies on it but most of it is low carb - and a Mediterranean one that is meat olives etc - you get cakes with them both but you can either ask them to leave them off or take away for someone else- will find links for you :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lessci - have a a google and they both only have their menus on Facebook- if you're on Facebook put The Hungry Caterpillar Whitehaven and The Glass House Whitehaven in the search bar and you'll get the menus - I was wrong about the gentlemens though it very carb heavy.

There is also a Hungry Caterpillar in Workington and Cockermouth if you're venturing out they all do eat in and take away.

If you want fine dining try the Green Room at the Rosehill Theatre - beautiful food and they are very accommodating- there menu is online if you Google it :)

Apologies to @Cana for derailing thread

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops made a booboo it was Maryport not Whitehaven, my apologies. We went all over the place that day from Silloth to Maryport to St Bees (relatively near Whitehaven), we were staying near Penrith. If you are travelling around the area and still interested in checking the place out, it was the Golden Lion Hotel. Senhouse Street, Maryport. They have a website. We had a lunchtime special which was 2 courses for 7.50 which I didn't think too bad. (I note that the evening menu is quite a bit pricier). As well as the fish, there was pork with seasonable veg and I think Gammon but not sure now; plus a couple of other choices which were no good for me. Looking at the website, the main menu is there but it doesn't seem to show the lunch specials. Might be worth a ring to find out more info.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken and chorizo skewers sound great and keto

I can attest to these being tasty.

Premier Inn staff are generally helpful if you ask for menu changes and the hotels are often located in areas with plenty of other eating options close by.

Reactions: jjraak

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In Whitehaven there is a place called the Hungry Caterpillar- thy do a great menu where you pick a protein then your sides - the food is really good - Also try the Glass House - they do afternoon tea a bit differently- a gentlemen one which is meats and stuff - there is pies on it but most of it is low carb - and a Mediterranean one that is meat olives etc - you get cakes with them both but you can either ask them to leave them off or take away for someone else- will find links for you :)
I'm taking note of this info too as we quite often visit Cumbria from the North East. Also apologies to Cana no intention to derail.

Reactions: lovinglife

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not have a salad with a cheese omelette and salad with your tuna or something like KFC and remove the coating Nandos is good as it is just grilled chicken or even a burger and just leave the roll you could have fish and take off the batter or as it is at the seaside it would not be difficult to find a fish restaurant that grills fish without the batter and shell fish is really good . love mussels myself . You can have any meat how about a steak for instance and just ask for green veg or a salad instead of chips and if a dish comes with sauce just ask them to leave it off it is really not that difficult to find something suitable and you are on holiday so enjoy it
Agreed. Last time I was at Nando’s I had grilled chicken, halloumi cheese and avocado. So @Cana . It was good.

Reactions: Pinkorchid