Type 2 Annual Review

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was frustrating that she said that everyone else could get to ”normal“ numbers with the food guidelines given and that I was obviously different in the fact I couldn’t eat a jacket potato and bread.

I also mentioned that I test a lot and I couldn’t have reduced my numbers without doing that. She said very few T2s test. The connection didn’t seem to be happening
Brainwashed by the old fashioned NHS line! You know you’re doing the right thing. Keep up the good work x

Reactions: Flora123

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was frustrating that she said that everyone else could get to ”normal“ numbers with the food guidelines given and that I was obviously different in the fact I couldn’t eat a jacket potato and bread.

I also mentioned that I test a lot and I couldn’t have reduced my numbers without doing that. She said very few T2s test. The connection didn’t seem to be happening
An all too familiar story.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I got a call to bring my annual review forward to this morning! All very friendly and the DN was very pleased with (most of) my results. She asked how I managed to get my bs down and impressed I was in remission. I explained about keto/low carb and got a mini chat about how important carbs are blah blah blah. She said my brain needs them etc. I explained about ketones and the brain likes them and I got a very blank stare and the topic swiftly moved on! She said she’s never seen anyone go from such a high Hba1c to so low in such a short time and maintain it. At least that was good. She seemed a bit confused when I broached the subject of carbs and said I thought the guide I was given was too high for me. She said it was low but I explained I couldn’t eat the five portions of carbs a day (adding up to around 150g +) and needed to stay under 20g. Apparently I’m a unique case!!

I was told my cholesterol was far too high (not a full lipid panel) and it was up and I should be referred to someone to try and get it down to 4!! I declined politely. I’ve had a recent cholesterol test with Medichecks and they thought although my total was higher than desired, my ratios were excellent .
View attachment 34197
No other advice given except more tests in 6 months.
Again an often repeated story. Amazing.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Did she tell you that if you test too often you’ll get sore fingers like my DN told me?

Reactions: Rose22

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well in my case, about 2 weeks before the review, I get called in for a blood test and to provide a urine sample. At the review we discuss the results, my feet are checked and I am weighed. I am lucky that my DN is in favour of low carb diets so she doesn't mention Eatwell and it's all very friendly.
With my check up the nurse goes over portion control, weight is done one, feet are checked, she asks if I’ve had my eye screening, and gives a page with results and targets on to take away for the next review.
She’s very sympathetic and it’s worth going along to. Think they expect fluctuations in results so don’t be worried. Meds are discussed, if taking or whether plan is to in future if needed.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did she tell you that if you test too often you’ll get sore fingers like my DN told me?
Hehe my nurse out right told me not to test, not to bother as it doesn’t effect anything it’ll only make me feel down as I’ll see sugars are up and nothing can do about it....
The. When saw her and said I’m testing myself and getting high readings, it’s a bit awkward as they don’t want to hear it. They purely go on the hba1c result it seems nowadays.