Honeymoon period

Jane1980

Hi, this maybe a silly question, how do you know when your coming out of the honeymoon period, also when you were on the honeymoon period were you injection the same units of fast acting or was it always dependant on what you eat?

Thanks

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
hmmm, the honeymoon period can last up to 8 years and you just slowly keep needing more insulin. I suppose when your insulin requirements are more predictable that can help tell you when it's over.

I used a slow acting first for a couple of years and when that wasn't working a doctor ordered a fast acting insulin to be added. I used carb counting and the appropriate amount of insulin from the start. I literally wasn't told anything other than here's a prescription and take 1 unit for every 3 carbs you eat. The rest was a complete learning experience. But I was a misdiagnosed type 1 for years so that didn't help.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I echo the experience of @Marie 2. My honeymoon has also lasted in the region of 8 years or so. Before insulin I was on the complete set of tablets and eventually had 320mg of Gliclazide which had no effect. I have gradually been increasing my Basal and my Bolus ratio but I think that is now slowing down. I have always used carb-counting as my DN set me up when I started insulin.