shocked and appalled!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
For a couple of years, I have been volunteering to take a group of people with learning difficulties for a Health Walk. I do it about twice a month. I love it. These guys are wonderful! so non-judgemental! I always get cuddles and often kisses too. They can teach us all about what matters in life. The last couple of times, there's been a new guy, called Herman. Today I found out that Herman is a type 2 diabetic. Neither he nor his carer knows when he last had a BG done. apparently the doctor says all he has to do is take his Metformin morning and evening and watch his eating. Testing isn't necessary. By virtue sic.!! of his condition, Herman is very vulnerable to infection. Surely as one of our most fragile people,(he's actually a darling with the lovliest "chocolate brown velvet" voice) he should be protected. I was so shocked when his carer told me. that's the same PCT as mine :evil:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
This is so typical of doctors treatment of people with learning difficulties!!Yes it's appalling.

LadyJ

Yes, it's terrible, but sadly standard for many type 2s, not just those with learning difficulties.

I spoke with a type 2 in another forum yesterday who told me her diabetic nurse had told her she did not need to bother testing AT ALL because a bg test is "just a snapshot in time" and completely irrelevant to the treatment of her diabetes.

But, the fact that a vulnerable adult without the ability or resources to do his own research and master his own care is appalling.

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
GRRRRRR that's jsut plain wrong.

I have a brother with learning Difficulties (Downs Syndrome) and if he was treated like that there would be trouble!!!!!1

How can they jsut abandon them? oh i am very annoyed now!!!!

chocoholic

Sadly, this does not surprise me. It is wrong but I've often wondered about the treatment of my own disabled brother in the nursing home he is in, if the care he gets would be different if he was able-bodied.

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
I am type 2 and last tested in July and my next appointment is October. I do not have a testing kit and I am not on medication....Should I be worried?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Dear Candyrel;
I would be worried, not knowing what's going on. I went out and bought my own meter. It's not the meter that costs, it's the strips. If you get a Freestyle meter from Abbott diabetes care, they'll supply the strips at a fairly reasonable price.
Trouble is, with type 2 and diet control, it's so easy to be running high sugars a lot of the time and that's what causes complications. What diet are you following. If it's the "fill half your plate with high carb foods" diet, you could be storing up trouble. If it's low carb, you could be doing very well and not knowing it

KimSuzanne

Thats appalling I work with children with learning disabilities and I have 2 diabetics in my care we test their sugars 3 times or more a day, they can't tell us when their feeling unwell or hypo - they rely on their carers to know when they aren't quite behaving like themselves.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Dear kim suzanne
i think Herman's problem is that he's an adult type2 andintellectually normal type 2s are discouraged from testing in this health zone.

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Has anyone asked the Doc what the individual's Hba1c is?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Buachaille,I have type 2 patients who they seem to think it's Ok to do their BS once a week and when asked about Hba1c look blank and say ,"what's that!"
BangHead.gif

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
SS - perhaps education is necessary, but at least establish the facts beforehand. Assume nothing - the null hypothesis has to be that the baseline is not known. Elsewhere, I mention some of my friends/acquaintances that regularly fill up with lager, do a public blood test and whack in the insulin whilst standing at the bar. Billy suggers in my view. But that's freedom of choice.

Serial testing is not, in my view, the answer, unless the question is skewed. The 'never mind the quality feel the width testing' syndrome does not provide meaningful, objectively derived pointers/answers. It is short term, instant, highly subjective and is probably interpreted as appropriately - oh tihs I need something to increase blood sugars or - oh tihs I need insulin or whatever.

However, you (or for that matter anyone else are dealing with 'challenged' individuals) need to make sure that you have factual information, not hearsay or opinion.

The reality is that, underlying anything we decide as T2s to put in our mouths, its up to us, or carers, to change the 'lifestyle'. Horse, trough, drink, not drink. Sometimes choices have to be influenced or enforced.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Buachaille,you post leaves me speechless!!"Assume nothing" I don't assume,I know! Each of these residents have been my patients for years,yes years.They have detailed records that are inches thick.I therefore have inches of "factual information" on these residents.The fact is however that the policies and procedures dictated to us as HCP have to be followed and the medical profession taking care of these residents do not order regular tests,ie,Hba1c unless ,perhaps prompted to do so_One resident who had had her medication increased just because of a high weekly recording had not had her Hba1c done for 3 years!!In fact not until I asked about it being done .That is not hearsay or assumption but detailed ,recorded fact.Again while some can be guided and given the correct diet,others who are A&O x3 will and can decline proper diet and unfortunately there is not a lot we can do about this as it is freedom of choice.

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
The diet I am following is

Minimum carbs
porridge
fresh fruit and veg
no alcohol at all (due also to other medication)
Plenty of water
small amount of meat
fish
no biscuits some dry crackers
dried fruit, nuts and seeds
3 slices of dark chocolate from freezer

I have never been able to eat cheese or yoghurt. Using flora buttery when required and also a spray of 1 cal on grill if required

I am also going to the gym a couple of times a week I do plenty of walking and cycling. (we have a dog so no excuses)

I also take oil of evening primrose (age related) Garlic and of course omega 3 and fish oils. I also put Lecithin on my porridge.

I am off to see the dietician in September as this is pretty much what I have been doing now since February when I was first diagnosed. I also cut my portion to half.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
You say minimum carbs and then porridge. Plain porridge oats are about 70% carbs and then it depends on how you prepare them and how much you eat. It's very good to follow the dietician's instrutions, but how are you meant to know if it's all going right? If it goes wrong and you have high bgs, for 6 months between tests, that could be your eyesight. didn't Sue Townsend go blind rather quickly?