Getting frustrated

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Gaffer type 1 I'd suggest you contact your diabetes team instead of waiting for them - you're in need of help and they should be there to help you.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for advice
I've been T1 for 5 weeks I was T2 for 2 years but never took the hint lol.
I have had not one phone call or message off anybody

Hi Gaffer, do you mean they misdiagnosed you as a type 2 (for 2 years) and then said you were really a type 1 or do you mean you have just gone onto insulin? It may seem a petty question but that distinction may well affect how it all works for YOU, ie whether you are still producing insulin of your own in abundance (but it's not getting through) or whether your beta cells are up the creek because of your type 2 or whether you are (and always have been) a type 1. x

Reactions: Circuspony

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Gaffer type 1 if I was in your shoes I would be phoning my diabetes team and asking for help. OR I would be at the diabetes clinic knocking on the door!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
HI @Gaffer type 1,
On my reading, experience as a TID but not as health professional advice or opinion:
Not sure how long after the evening meal you tested your BSL.

In various posts people on insulin for Type I or LADA diabetes, have noted that meals with foods like pasta and lentils seem to take longer to reach a BSL peak, particularly with fat in the meal such as eggs, chicken with skin etc - 3 to 4 to 5 hours are mentioned as the peak BSL time after such a meal.

As far as the short acting insulin before the meal - if you search for "pictures of short-acting insulin profiles" you will see graphs showing the onset, peak and duration of the insulin's action. The peak action is often around the 2 to 2 1/2 1/2 hour mark and the duration about 5 hours.

But if so, the peak BSL from the meal noted above may well be happening an hour or more after the peak action of the insulin and nearer the end of the short acting insulin's duration.

Also these profiles are averages of how the insulin might work in someone.
The following table shows the range of onset, peak and duration of a particular short acting insulin.

IMG_6705.jpg

You will see how much the range of onsets, peaks and duration can vary between individuals. You would need to discuss with your health team how to best sort it what the onset, peak and duration of your short acting insulin may be and also whether these figures are the same say, for the same insulin before breakfast and lunch also.

Secondly: as a general rule the smaller the dose of short acting insulin the shorter its duration, the lower and earlier the peak might be compared to a larger dose as the following graph shows:

IMG_6706.jpg
So a dose of 4 units of short-acting insulin before a meal is not likely to easily cover a meal with a delayed peak BSL.

I hope the above might explain some of the possible reasons for your BSL troubles.

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
Thanks all for advice
I've been T1 for 5 weeks I was T2 for 2 years but never took the hint lol.
I have had not one phone call or message off anybody
Hi there, you have several things you need to look at here, mostly is learning to carb count and how to adjust your insulin requirements. Keep pushing your medical team to get on the Dafne course.
You have not said how long after your meal you tested when you got your high readings, usually most people peek at about 2 hrs post meal. I can peak anywhere up to 4 hrs post meal, so again people are different.
I have to take larger amounts of insulin when I eat pasta as I am very sensitive to it, so I eat only a small amount or have extra veg/ salad instead.
I have been on insulin for years and found learning to carb count is the best thing my Diabetes Ed did for me.
Hang in there it will get easier, push your health care team and ask lots of questions. This site is a great place to start in the meantime.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I seem to think less insulin the better

Completely false. The closer your sugars are to normal the better. Period.

True, you shouldn't go upping your dosages without medical help since more insulin puts you at more risk of low blood sugar. But insulin is not medication, it is hormone replacement and you need exactly the right amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaffer type 1

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Gaffer type 1 if you want to take less insulin you need to eat less carbs. Simples. You cannot keep eating what you want and think it is not a good idea to inject the insulin for it. That is not the way Type 1 works I’m afraid. You will still need to take insulin even if you low carb. We do not produce any and do not have the luxury of sorting this condition just by eating meat and above ground veg. As you progress you will discover it is an ongoing daily balance affected by stress, exercise, illness, sex, dawn phenomenon, etc, etc. Insulin is not your enemy, it is the fantastic invention keeping you alive.