Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My recent bg levels are:
6 July 2019...268 mg/dl ppbg
7 July 2019...91 mg/dl fbg
8 July 2019...205 mg/dl ppbg
9 July 2019...61 mg/dl random hypoglycemia
I do not understand the reasons for these wild bg fluctuations.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating? That looks like the response to a high carbohydrate meal.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
My recent bg levels are:
6 July 2019...268 mg/dl ppbg
7 July 2019...91 mg/dl fbg
8 July 2019...205 mg/dl ppbg
9 July 2019...61 mg/dl random hypoglycemia
I do not understand the reasons for these wild bg fluctuations.

I suggest that you test before each meal and 2hrs after the first bite.
Your Fasting Blood Glucose should always be lower than your Post Prandial, unless 1). You consume virtually no carbs or 2). Your fast is a long one e.eg. Dawn Phenomenon or a long fast - such as with intermittent fasting where you fast for 12 to 16hrs.

As Mr_Pot said, the high PPBG levels look like a typical response to a high carb meal. Your Avatar (or photo) appears South Asian, which makes me think you may be eating rice or one of the breads from that area. Both are extremely dangerous for a Type 2 Diabetic!

I see from your posts in another thread that you are taking a large amount of Insulin. Your BG levels are probably caused by the combination of eating carbs with a high glycemic index, plus your total Insulin required to deal with the subsequent BG spike.

You need to coordinate with your Healthcare Professional so that your attempts at controlling the carbs in your meals are matched with your Insulin injections - so as to have your BG stay in a good zone.

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@achyut1939 you should really fill in your profile with your type and medications you are on for your diabetes.
In a different post I believe you said you were a T2 on insulin and this will definitely affect what advice will be given because whilst T2's who do not use insulin or blood glucose lowering meds can go low carb to manage their diabetes, with insulin you have to be a lot more careful or you may hypo.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I take one cup of cooked rice with green vegetables for lunch and dinner. It may not be low carb, but it is in small portions. My fbg is under control except for occasional hypos. However, my ppbg is high, or very low, as I have mentioned.

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I take one cup of cooked rice with green vegetables for lunch and dinner. It may not be low carb, but it is in small portions. My fbg is under control except for occasional hypos. However, my ppbg is high, or very low, as I have mentioned.

A cup of rice is about 45g of starch.... add green vegies and you'd be eating over 50g per meal? Is that all you eat for a meal? If so I'm not surprised you are spiking high... no idea if you are taking insulin or not? Are you type2? You haven't answered any of these questions, so people will be reluctant to offer any advice or help which doesn't help you one bit.

I'd suggest filling in the details in your profile so people know.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you take fixed doses of insulin, or do you vary it, depending upon what you eat and drink?

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I am taking 30/70 biphasic isophane insulin injections 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
We are not Doctors, so we can only suggest things for you to discuss with your Doctor or Diabetes Nurse.
You need to balance your Insulin dosage with your Carb intake. So when you reduce your carb intake, the insuloin dose must also reduce. You need to talk about this with your HealthCare Professional.
When do you take your FBG readings ? Before the Insulin or after?
If you are getting Hypos in the morning before you take your insulin, then it is likely that either you evening insulin dose is too high, or you need to eat more lower Glycemic Index carbs with your dinner.

It seems that you have a total of around 100grams of carbs for lunch & dinner combined.
What do you have for breakfast?

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I take vegeterian breakfast of about 50 carbs. Total daily carb intake may be 150 carbs. I am having, hypos at about 2 am, and hypers 2 hours after dinner. I am getting wild bg fluctuations for the same diet, and insulin dosage.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Recommend you update your profile as you've been asked ...

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
150grams of carbs per day isn't a lot. I have heard that some people on a carb restricted diet are eating as much as 120grams of carb per day. The problem you have is in finding suitable alternatives to the carbs in your diet.

You being a vegetarian makes it difficult for me to make suggestions, however are you vegan? - Or can you eat fish and eggs?

I am only 68yrs old, quite recently diagnosed as T2D and live in the UK. I do eat meat and fish and dairy. I limit my carbs to around 50grams per day - so not quite down to the Keto range but definitely Low Carb High Fat. My breakfast is always 2 boiled eggs which 2hrs later has no affect on my Blood Glucose ( PPBG less than or equal to pre-Breakfast BG).
The other foods I eat much more than before diagnosis are Nuts and Cheese - fats are not the enemy, carbs are!

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My query is not answered till now. Why I am getting hypers, and hypos for the same diet, and insulin dosage.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
It could be the time of your dinner, it could be stress or how well you sleep, it could be because the 'veg' is sometimes much higher/lower in cabs than for other meals/days, it could be that on occasions you eat higher Glycemic Index food that on others.
For example I love carrots (raw or cooked) but I can't eat them since they spike my BG. Neither can I eat my favourite fruits: Mangoes, Pineapples and Bananas since they are high in carbs and/or have a high GI.

High GI foods can produce BG spikes and then Hypos as the insulin reaction goes too far.
Stress and poor versus good sleep also affect BG.

achyut1939

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You are correct. Bg values are influenced by carbs, insulin dosage, stress, exercise, harmones, and sleep. However, as you can see my ppbg is varying from 268 mg/dl to 205 mg/dl, and my fbg is varying from 91 mg/dl to 61 mg/dl (hypo) for the same diet, and insulin dosage. If this variation is not due to diet, and insulin dosage, it is impossible to control the diabetes, as other factors are not in my control. So it appears that the blood glucose variations are highly unpredictable, and they cannot be controlled.

Last edited: