Eating out.

mazbee78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has been quite a while since I last posted. My mom passed last year.
I was invited to eat out with my son's family last night, to celebrate my youngest Granddaughters 6th Birthday. I was taken to Pizza Hut, where she had a great time. I encountered lots of problems in choosing a suitable meal. Ended up with just fresh salad items and a glass of water. I asked the staff if they did low carb meals as I am a type 2 diabetic. They understood gluten, wheat, dairy and other food allergies, but were very lacking in knowledge about a low carb diet. (I don't eat out very often) Even their chicken wings and ribs were covered in sugary sauces, which for me, made them off limit. As the press and medical associates are constantly berating us diabetics for poor choices, perhaps it is time to educate the food industry. Not only restaurants, pubs, cafes, and other eateries, but also supermarkets, who have brazenly told me that they sell foods that get them the most profit. Fresh fruit and veg is always on my shopping list, along with unadulterated meats. Our Local Asda had a special offer on chicken recently, but they had covered it in a BBQ powered that contained maltodextrin. (sigh), so out of my meager carers allowance, I had to buy a more expensive plain chicken.
My point is, that we need to raise awareness of how these food industries can help us to help ourselves. They need to be educated, and perhaps, berated as we often are by our Dr's and the national press.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.pizzahut.co.uk/restaura...--dietary-information-booklet---june-2019.pdf Just went through the whole thing. On page 42 they mention chicken melts, those would've been okay, if this particular restaurant served them. Combine that with salad items (and maybe next time ask for pizza toppings like tuna or pepperoni to spice up the salad?), it would've been a decent meal. I've never seen a Melt mentioned at a Dutch Pizza Hut though, but then, I haven't been around that kind of thing for 3 years, and there's only a hand full of PH's left here. But yeah.... You certainly have a point when it comes to the food industry. I get offered gluten free a lot when I ask for them to hold the bread and such... Low carb is still seen as a fad diet from people just being difficult. I always have to explain the T2 thing, and regret it if I don't.

Reactions: mazbee78

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Businesses are in business to make money. It's not brazen to admit that is their goal. That is why a business exists. If there is enough of a demand for a certain food, some businesses will react faster than others. I really don't see a pizza place as one of the first in line to offer a low carb meal except for a salad.

But if you are not in business for a profit, you cease to exist. If there is enough of a demand to create a profit, then they will start to carry it.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Pizza restaurants are probably the worst for type 2. I regularly eat at at our local Italian or Indian where there is plenty I can eat. I suppose your 6 year old grandchild chose their favourite, but no good for you. Well done for sticking with a boring salad!

mazbee78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did order chicken melts, but they had none left. The menu also says chicken wings in the starters which I ordered, but these came with a sweet sticky coating, which is not mentioned in the menu. So I sent them back.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did order chicken melts, but they had none left. The menu also says chicken wings in the starters which I ordered, but these came with a sweet sticky coating, which is not mentioned in the menu. So I sent them back.
Checking the amount of carbs in those, it's a good thing you did!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I had a similar experience when my gorgeous 4 year old grandchild conned me into taking him to McDonalds. Being vegetarian, my only option was coffee and a bag of cucumber sticks. I now take ridiculous detours to avoid the McD situation.