Not to eat more than three times per day

Saur

Fat doesn't make you fat. The carbs do that. If you reduce the amount of carbs you have then the fat will fill you so you don't need to snack.
Hi, can you please guide me where I can find more information on fat doesn’t make you fat. I honestly don’t understand. I only recently found out about the effects of carbs. I been on a diet for the last three years; and only recently found out I have pre diabetes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, can you please guide me where I can find more information on fat doesn’t make you fat. I honestly don’t understand. I only recently found out about the effects of carbs. I been on a diet for the last three years; and only recently found out I have pre diabetes.

Check some of Dr Fung's other videos too here

https://idmprogram.com/videos/

Dietary fat causes the least insulin response so it fills you up but in the absence of carbohydrate doesn't lead to fat storage.

This is one of the main reasons why a ketogenic way of eating is great for losing weight. you start to access your fat stores that have built up over many years and "live off the doughnut you ate 10 years ago".

Reactions: jjraak
M

Member496333

Basically you cannot get fat without insulin. It is literally impossible. Therefore everything you can do to minimise circulating insulin will be beneficial in this regard. The least insulinogenic macronutrient is fat. The most insulinogenic is carbohydrate. Or put another way, everything you’ve ever been told about nutrition is completely upside down and inside out.

Saur

Basically you cannot get fat without insulin. It is literally impossible. Therefore everything you can do to minimise circulating insulin will be beneficial in this regard. The least insulinogenic macronutrient is fat. The most insulinogenic is carbohydrate. Or put another way, everything you’ve ever been told about nutrition is completely upside down and inside out.
Thankyou.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
If you have a bit of cheese that hasn't any carbs surely there won't be an insulin response?
Cheese seems to lower my BS...If I have an apple on its own, my BGL's will rise, not a lot, but if I have a baby bell cheese with it, no rise at all. I will have a small apple with cheese, twice a week, sometimes with a glass of red wine

Reactions: Bec in Brighton

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear members please can you give your opinions why it is recommended that you shouldn’t eat snacks/supper in between meals. A lot of us find it hard to stick to three meals. Does drinking tea/coffee between meals ok and not food.

When I was a child the norm was "three meals a day and don't eat between meals". I can remember too when it was suggested that snacking/grazing should be a recommended eating pattern - I believe it was probably in the late 1950s. I imagine that it was possibly a sales ploy when food became more readily available after wartime restrictions and rationing, as was the 5 a day recommendation later on.

My simple minded understanding about fats and carbs is that carbs are short term and easy fuel, and if you overeat you can store the surplus as body fat but you can't access this because your body's become lazy and used to getting supplied with fast and readily available carby stuff - and stored /body fat requires effort to access and use it. When you change to a low carb, full fat diet, you body eventually makes the chemical changes to enable it to access stored fat, returning to its normal state of being able to handle carbs and both dietary and stored fats correctly. And then you have access to a constant suppy of readily available fuel, so no longer need to constantly keep topping up with carbs.

Robbity

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another possibility, that I don't have any evidence for but just proposing for discussion...
Type 2 diabetics have difficulty dealing with carbohydrates due to insulin resistance, reduced insulin production or both.
Assuming that the total amount of carbohydrate is the same, then by consuming it in small amounts wouldn't this allow the body time to cope with it? Conversely, consuming all your carbohydrate in one meal of the day would result in a much larger glucose spike, which some consider more harmful than a generally raised level.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a skinny type 2 eating low carb (very carb intolerant ) I snack on cheese and nuts avocados cream etc I am struggling to keep my weight up .Can anyone offer any help in the light of the information in this post
Thanks Carol

M

Member496333

I am a skinny type 2 eating low carb (very carb intolerant ) I snack on cheese and nuts avocados cream etc I am struggling to keep my weight up .Can anyone offer any help in the light of the information in this post
Thanks Carol

Presuming that you already get sufficient protein, just increase fat consumption. Pure dietary fat should be deposited subcutaneously. Really though your appetite should be taking care of this for you if your body feels it’s below its biological optimum. Are you actually underweight or just think you look a bit skinny compared to the modern normal?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Another possibility, that I don't have any evidence for but just proposing for discussion...
Type 2 diabetics have difficulty dealing with carbohydrates due to insulin resistance, reduced insulin production or both.
Assuming that the total amount of carbohydrate is the same, then by consuming it in small amounts wouldn't this allow the body time to cope with it? Conversely, consuming all your carbohydrate in one meal of the day would result in a much larger glucose spike, which some consider more harmful than a generally raised level.
Consideration must be given to hyperinulinaemia and a higher basal insulin level. Fewer calls on insulin (itself at higher levels is thought to be inflammatory) is said to be wiser.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dear members please can you give your opinions why it is recommended that you shouldn’t eat snacks/supper in between meals. A lot of us find it hard to stick to three meals. Does drinking tea/coffee between meals ok and not food.
My opinion is your stomach needs to switch off but if constantly full, how can it? However the liver loves fatty protein before bed to save it dumping glucose. Glucose it has stored deliberately for dumping. If you block the liver dumping over time it gets rid of fatty liver. If you hv one. The liver needs to be right to help your metabolism process work well.
Myself I have to eat regularly but only inject insulin if my levels become high. As I hv a background insulin injected on a morning for my hugely obese body. For my size I'm not producing enough insulin until I become smaller. Food needs insulin too. I would be mad to inject 6 times on top of injecting for background need.
I wouldn't encourage constant insulin need but a fatty protein before sleep worked brilliant for me to prevent me waking on higher bgs after a sleep.
If I'm low carbing I didn't add milk to my coffees.

Reactions: Robbity

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
And you can't do that with healthy fats because it is so satiating that it is almost impossible to overeat on it.
I may have to experiment with grade A* protein though ;)
I didn't overeat but other heath problems restricted weight loss (which I desperately need) but protein started raising my bgs in carb absence.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I didn't overeat but other heath problems restricted weight loss (which I desperately need) but protein started raising my bgs in carb absence.
This (protein) does happen to some people but there is a line of thought that says given time the metabolism can 'reset' wrt protein.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My meter and I are both much happier if I spread my carbs out rather than eat a whole days worth in one go. If I eat fewer meals then I don't up my carbs to my proposed daily limit, I simply eat a regular size meal with its normal amount of carbs. Eating extra carbs all in one go gives me a large long "bump" rather than a spike as such, while spreading the load keeps my levels much smoother - so sayeth my Libre sensor...

Robbity

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Presuming that you already get sufficient protein, just increase fat consumption. Pure dietary fat should be deposited subcutaneously. Really though your appetite should be taking care of this for you if your body feels it’s below its biological optimum. Are you actually underweight or just think you look a bit skinny compared to the modern normal?
I am under weight my bmi is 18 I eat as much fat as possible with my meals e.g. butter on vegetables cream in soup scrambled eggs with cream and butter I eat until I am full but need to eat between meals just to maintain my weight
Carol

M

Member496333

I am under weight my bmi is 18 I eat as much fat as possible with my meals e.g. butter on vegetables cream in soup scrambled eggs with cream and butter I eat until I am full but need to eat between meals just to maintain my weight
Carol

Interesting. Have you tried increasing your protein intake in order to help stimulate a little more insulin release?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. Have you tried increasing your protein intake in order to help stimulate a little more insulin release?
Thanks Jim for your interest
I can only stuff so much food at one time !I think that if I ate more protein at a meal time I may not be able to. eat more
fat for instance I have had salmon with salad (cucumber tomato lettuce home made coleslaw which was made with mayonnaise ) Then I had full fat yoghurt with double cream and now I feel full and looking forward to a glass of red wine !
Carol

Reactions: jjraak

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese seems to lower my BS...If I have an apple on its own, my BGL's will rise, not a lot, but if I have a baby bell cheese with it, no rise at all. I will have a small apple with cheese, twice a week, sometimes with a glass of red wine

I suspect that is because the fat in the cheese slows down the glucose rise. This is one of the difficulties for type 1s when eating fat alongside carbs. The insulin often needs to be injected later and many people split the dose.

Reactions: Robbity