type 2 diabetes

sammie75

Hello I wonder if anyone can help me. My diabetic nurse had told me that I need to get my levels down as I may need to go onto insulin. The problem that I struggle with is that I burn over 2500 calories a day with my job I work 10 till 12 hours a day constantly on the go. Nothing that I eat seems to fill me up apart from the usual sugary foods. Can someone please help me with food ideas. I am a fussy eater that doesn't help either. Many thanks for reading and helping me

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of things (sugary stuff aside) do you like?
I eat meat once a day ... works for me.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you eat bacon eggs sausages liver mushrooms tomatoes onion courgette sweet pepper etc. for breakfast?
For lunch - a large green salad, with radish celery coleslaw tomato beetroot etc. and some cold chicken or cubed beef or whatever meat you have - or tuna or salmon or white fish. A couple of slices of really low carb bread is less than 10 gm of carb.
For dinner - a stirfry with meat or fish maybe with a side of cauliflower cheese if you are really hungry.
Add in a couple of mugs of creamy coffee and you should not be fading away any time soon.

sammie75

I like chicken beef and pork
Salad will be some sort of leaves and tomatoes Not keen on veg
Like fruit especially berries
Cheese

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like chicken beef and pork
Salad will be some sort of leaves and tomatoes Not keen on veg
Like fruit especially berries
Cheese

As bulkbiker says, all good stuff to eat. Perhaps you’re not eating enough of it? Or perhaps the cuts you’re eating don’t have enough fat on them? The sugary stuff may well be satisfying you immediately but I’d wager that the blood glucose swings it must be causing are driving your hunger too.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. Are you taking any meds at the moment? What? Can you update your profile to show this as it’s relevant to advice you may be given. What sort of numbers do you get whilst testing (if you do) and hb1ac? What have you tried to lower them so far?

Unless you are expecting this what we will tell you may surprise you. Ditch bread rice potatoes pasta flour and obviously sugar. Replace it with fat. Yes fat. It doesn’t mess your blood sugars up like carbs, it keeps you feeling full for ages and despite being warned against it for 40 yrs evidence is coming out daily that it isn’t the evil it was believed to be. Most of us have had drastically improved cholesterol figures eating this way. It’s known as low carb high (healthy) fat LCHF. A more rigorous version is keto which is even lower carb. It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3, 6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and do this with your dr’s knowledge. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I wonder if anyone can help me. My diabetic nurse had told me that I need to get my levels down as I may need to go onto insulin. The problem that I struggle with is that I burn over 2500 calories a day with my job I work 10 till 12 hours a day constantly on the go. Nothing that I eat seems to fill me up apart from the usual sugary foods. Can someone please help me with food ideas. I am a fussy eater that doesn't help either. Many thanks for reading and helping me
I have recently taken on a very active job and am also constantly on the go for 8 hours. Most days I have a full English breakfast for lunch, without toast. Either side of that I eat a breakfast often comprising of Greek yoghurt or cuts of meat. And a dinner in the evening. With snacks either side. And am still losing weight. I keep a tight reign on the carbs.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

One thing I would say is that if you eat low carb high fat you don’t feel as hungry.
I work very long hours albeit I’m sedentary but I used to find I ate rubbish because I needed the energy and was always hungry.
(I’m a driving instructor so need to have my wits about me all the time)

Since I’ve done LCHF I eat so much less as I’m not hungry. Yes I get tired and find working long hours difficult but I’m not hungry.
In fact sometimes I’m eating just in case as I have a 2 hour lesson coming up.

You will hopefully find the same.

The protein and the fat fill me up

sammie75

I have recently taken on a very active job and am also constantly on the go for 8 hours. Most days I have a full English breakfast for lunch, without toast. Either side of that I eat a breakfast often comprising of Greek yoghurt or cuts of meat. And a dinner in the evening. With snacks either side. And am still losing weight. I keep a tight reign on the carbs.
Trouble is I can't afford to lose any more weight I've gone from 13 stone to 9 stone

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long have you been diagnosed? Do you know what tests they did?

A weight loss like that that wasn’t deliberate needs looking into. It “might” be a sign your pancreas is struggling. Do you have a meter? What levels do you see? I’d be going back and asking for type 1 testing. And quite possibly c peptide even if you have been a type 2 for decades.