Type 1 or type 2?

Jamesmaidment

What does this mean? Can anyone put it into understanble terms. Am I type 2 or type 1 on the honeymoon period? I have been told by different doctors that I'm type 1 and one doctor told me I'm type 2 so I'm confused this has been going on for two years now.

"Just to let you know that this gentleman's repeat anti-gad and islet cell antibodies were negative. C-peptide continues to be detectable so he clearly has some residual islet cell function."

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Get the test results so you can see what it actually says. Because
"C-peptide continues to be detectable so he clearly has some residual islet cell function."
is very interpretive

There are some type 1's that antibodies don't show up but they don't make insulin. Kind of, they are not sure of why it happens. My diabetic nutritionist is one of those. Residual sure sounds like it's low so could be the honeymoon phase and you still are making some? But get copies of the test so you can look it up yourself, always a good idea anyway. I would like to have an idea of the test result before I talked to him the next time so I would have a better understanding of what he is talking about or saying.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What a lot of HCPs don't know is that viruses can cause beta cell death so an antibody test won't show up but the result is the same i.e. T1 or LADA. My GAD was negative but I had a high white cell count just before diagnosis and which was never investigated. I also know someone else who had a liver virus with the same result. So, the c-peptide test shows what your actual insulin output is and whether you need insulin or are a T2 (high reading) and only tablets needed. Sadly there appears to be very little research into late onset T1 (LADA) so HCPs guess whether T1 or T2.