What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon everyone :)

was 4.6 this morning

my day in the charity shop today so exercise was stair climbing ;)

it's finally stopped raining here but the haar is still around. It's a bit warmer now than this morning though so I might get a walk in later :) mr. gee has done his share today already walking mum's dog.

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Ian

Replacing the a/c in bedroom next Tuesday. Planning to go to our beach house for the weekend to escape the heat anyway, assuming I can convince the wife and son to do so.

In the meantime watching Nadal v Federer for the Wibledon semi. Amazing tennis
@pavlosn glad the bg is good for you this morning. How's the aircon? @karen8967 enjoy the last day of your holiday. @Viv19 bg coming down nicely so sub 6 will be along soon - don't sweat the small stuff. @DJC3 fantastic news on scan result so today's fbg is irrelevant. @dunelm Ben Sherman shirts - you as well ? Brogues and a trilby? So, my fbg was alleged to be 4.8 . Meter initially said it was full of fury and signifying nothing then later texted me saying I shall do such things, I know not what, but they shall be the terrors of the earth. Charming. Stay calm and drink tea - you know it makes sense Rodney.
20190712_190827.jpeg

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic news about the scan results. Must be such a relief
A pleasing 5.3 this morning, probably because of champagne yesterday celebrating clear scan. I’m cancer free and have 6 more months of happiness ahead. It’s difficult to describe how that feels.
Just to bring me down to earth with a bump I checked Patient Access for my blood results last night. Lo and behold HbA1c had gone up to 41 so I am clinging to non- diabetic status by the skin of my teeth! Time to throw off my slapdash ways and start keeping proper records again.
@dunelm I loved the story of your grandad’s suit and can imagine the horror that would invoke in a teenage boy.
@gennepher well done on your restraint yesterday with your roast/ afternoon tea. Very impressive.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian

Replacing the a/c in bedroom next Tuesday. Planning to go to our beach house for the weekend to escape the heat anyway, assuming I can convince the wife and son to do so.

In the meantime watching Nadal v Federer for the Wibledon semi. Amazing tennisView attachment 34245
Beach house seems an excellent call. Can't the big lion roar and make it so?

Reactions: Debandez

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
More is often achieved with a carrot than a stick
Beach house seems an excellent call. Can't the big lion roar and make it so?
Actually my mother in law, who lives next door to us ( My big fat Greek Wedding anyone), was just involved in a car accident and has her arm in a plaster. So my wife my feel she needs to stay around to look after her. (Really not needed but who is going to argue the case? Not me )

Reactions: gennepher

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ben Shermans, thin ties, crombie coat, brogues - never bothered with the trilby as I wore a beret all day at work. I sometimes wonder if we looked smart or just daft.

Can someone please enlighten me as to Ben Sherman shirts? I just Googled them and I saw everything from button-downs to polos to paisleys to these:

ben1.jpg

... and now I am seriously curious.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. 5.7 today which is fine.
@karen8967 enjoy last day of your hols. @HarrisonK that made me laugh. @gennepher well done for stepping away from the late night choc and just having two roasties at lunch I try to stick to one but Christmas is two and roast parsnip. I dont test that day!@dunelm really funny about the suit, the apartment for your mum sounds good hope it works out.@Krystyna23040 have a great weekend in London.
I am going down to my friend in Kent tomo and we are having our annual outing to a marvellous garden centre and I’m staying overnight. Lookng forward to a good girly catch up. OH has plans to cook liver for supper which I wont have in the house so all happy.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Have a wonderful time! It sounds like fun (and I hope Bobs and Daisy will get some of the liver if they like it.

Reactions: HarryBeau

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a wonderful time! It sounds like fun (and I hope Bobs and Daisy will get some of the liver if they like it.
Thanks @SaskiaKC the fussy girls dont like anything other than tinned tuna and it has to be a particular brand...I know its ridiculous!
Hope you and rhe KC are having a good day. Any more news on the “possible” move!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian

In the meantime watching Nadal v Federer for the Wibledon semi. Amazing tennisView attachment 34245
I am watching too. Defo the match of the tournament... these two when they come up against each other are electric. Hope your MIL is ok and you can get to the beach this weekend with or without her.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone please enlighten me as to Ben Sherman shirts? I just Googled them and I saw everything from button-downs to polos to paisleys to these:

ben1.jpg

... and now I am seriously curious.
I hope some of the gentlemen will chip in but I think Ben Sherman have been around a long while and still are but I think they have adapted style for fashion over the years.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is Debs but it's not uncommon...I cannot figure out how T2 diabetes is so pitifully dealt with considering it's often identified as the impending cause of our NHS bankruptcy...given the proportion that 90% of diabetics in the UK are T2 & set to rise further still they need to invest more and give the positive news that it is possible to make changes that will lead to better control...the fatalistic 'it will get you in the end so just take the meds' needs to stop.
It still astound me! I only had to Google 2 words to find the solution.
I've done a bit of research this morning on potatoes and got led to an old diabetic cookery book, published in 1916.

Since @dunelm and @PenguinMum were mentioning this earlier today, I've also included your names on here if that is okay.

I borrow online books from Archive.org

So looked on there. I found a book written by Rebecca Oppenheimer called Diabetic Cookery.

Here is the link. I hope it works.
https://archive.org/details/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala
On page 135 she says "Peel potatoes, grate them, and let cold water run over them until all the starch has been washed out; this process takes some time.”

This particular book I was able to download a pdf and put it in my Apple Books app so I can read it any time, but other more recent books you have to borrow as in a library.

>^..^<

Update: If anyone is interested, these are the other diabetic books that came up in search at Archive.org
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Diabetic Cookery
I am going to have a peek at them now....
Another update: I cannot access the site using my phone's sim card (it tells me no internet connection, but there is, it seems others have the same problem), but as long as I am on wi fi on iPhone, iPad, or on wifi on my Android tablet the Archive.org site opens up just fine.
Wow!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was in juniors (primary school) it was welly boots with the tops turned right over, shorts and some short of Japanese General’s ganzey from the army and navy store.
Welly boots!!! Not summer attire for sure. Flip flops in summer???

Reactions: HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gennepher
As @dunelm said what a great find and thanks for the link. I will enjoy reading it when I can. Imagine the starch in potatoes was known to be a problem more than a century ago and still our Chief Medical Officer cant admit it. I often think our collective findings and observations on this forum is light years ahead of official advice.
If they changed the guidelines to something that might be beneficial just think of the lost revenue!!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @SaskiaKC the fussy girls dont like anything other than tinned tuna and it has to be a particular brand...I know its ridiculous!
Hope you and rhe KC are having a good day. Any more news on the “possible” move!

Thank you for asking. :). I now have all my paperwork together, so now I need to find transportation to the little town. I have an A1C appointment next Wednesday and I want to talk over the move with my doctor, pros vs cons of relocating or just staying here and trying to make some sort of life for myself in the city, in case I can't find a way to get to the town. My soul and spirit are quietly dying here; and I'm only at the age where some people retire from their jobs and begin their lives. So not quite ready to quit living and just exist.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was in juniors (primary school) it was welly boots with the tops turned right over, shorts and some short of Japanese General’s ganzey from the army and navy store.

For me it was saddle oxfords or penny loafers, a dress for school but blue jeans and T-shirts after school. The boys all wore leather jackets and high-top P.F. Flyers and Billy The Kid blue jeans. It was almost a uniform for them.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I needn't have been concerned that I wouldn't have enough exercise today. There are no lifts in the building the course is being held in - the loos are on the ground floor and the course is on the top floor - 67 steps between them!

I started breakfast this morning with stilton cheese which I sliced over portabello mushrooms. I then had bacon, fried egg, a small sausage and more portabello mushrooms and lots of coffee and cream. Lunch was 20g of 85% chocolate and dinner was steak and green salad with avocado and olive oil and more coffee.

The course is really good and I really enjoyed the Edvard Munch Exhibition at the British Museum.

Am now back at the hotel with more coffee.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's exactly what my husband thinks about my packing list. Although I was the one who remembered to pack his hay fever meds which he forgot when we went away in June. I shall remind him next time he complains about my packing list.

You and he went to Norfolk near Holkham Hall? I've just finished a novel set near there, "Beauchamp Hall."