Gooseberries and rhubarb

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can remember the taste of a unripe goozgog from when I was a kid, they put the mouth into gear quicker than a lemon. :D
havnt heard the word goozgog for many a year @Tipetoo ....prompting me to pick some this morning from the two neglected bushes in what was my parents garden ..they must be nearly sixty years old!... @HSSS carbs and cals book says 9 Grams of carbs per 100 grams...

Reactions: Antje77 and HSSS
D

Deleted member 308541

havnt heard the word goozgog for many a year @Tipetoo ....prompting me to pick some this morning from the two neglected bushes in what was my parents garden ..they must be nearly sixty years old!..
It popped into my head when I started to read the thread, it was dredged up from the back of my memory as I have not eaten them since leaving the UK in 1970.

Some apple and goozgog pie would be nice ...mmm.
Dwe01us.gif

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just received my first punnet of goosegogs this year with yesterday's order from Ocado. I'm going to make some gooseberry fool with a mix of thick double cream, creme fraiche erythritol, and some elderflower essence. (I used to be able to use the real flowers from an elderberry just outside my back garden, but it's sadly long gone now :()

@HSSS: Checking their carbs according to Ocado - 3g per 100g weight - they're lower by half than our diabetes.co.uk figure, but there may be differences between cookers and eaters....:wideyed:

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
we always called them goozgogs too.
and it was a childhood sport to select a nice big one, pull out the plug, suck out the innards, re-inflate, reinsert the plug, and leave it in the bowl with the rest of them... happy days.

Of course it only worked on my grandfather's gooseberries, which were a large golden variety. The little underripe green bullets you usually get commercially are no good for such shenanigans.

Personally, I would be very suspicious of any one source giving an accurate indication of carbs. Ballpark, yes. Precise, no. There are a lot of different varieties out there, and they will all vary, plus then there is stage of ripeness, growing conditions, etc. etc.

I take the same view for all foods - tomatoes being a perfect example. I mean, watery, overinflated supermarket ones, or homegrown, sun ripened? No comparison.

Reactions: WuTwo and HSSS

ShelleyDubs

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This makes me happy. Love gooseberries and rhubarb so I will defo add these to my food lists now I know we can have them. Thanks for the posts everyone. (That goat is hilarious.)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to McCance and Widdowson (the tables that the govt use) carbs for goozies vary a bit

Screenshot 2019-07-10 at 09.25.33.png

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My Gooseberries aren't ready yet, they need a bit more sunshine, but can't wait until I try them.

Reactions: WuTwo

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Could you post your recipe please ? Thanks :)

I don't have an exact recipe, I just chuck some ground almonds into a bowl and rub in a knob of butter - I don't like my crumble mix sweetened so that's it.
I sweeten the fruit with Truvia/stevia.
Then a basic egg custard (cooked in a pan very carefully so it thickens but does not boil).

This one looks interesting.
https://santebonviveur.com/low-carb-rhubarb-crumble/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Alas the bitter cold winter a couple of years ago saw off all my rhubarb plants - but I still have the gooseberry - though from time to time it gets stripped of its leaves by the phantom leaf stealer, apparently overnight - Gooseberries are definitely a fruit which should be left to ripen fully.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I inow this is not the point of the thread but my darling late mother loved gooseberry jam but it had to be h/m never from a factory. Funny the little things that bring her back to me. I have never liked them though my first ever paid job was picking gooseberries at a local farm, followed by blackcurrant when the gbs were done. I was 10 years old and cycled 6 miles round trip and my lunch which used to get very hot hanging from the bike was big bottle weak squash and white bread sandwiches filled with 57 varieties sandwich spread with a sliced tomato if I was lucky! You could fill those buckets a lot easier with the GBs, with the Bcs we used to pray for rain to make them heavy.
Sorry mods if I have wandered too far off thread. Btw I love rhubarb but havent had it since dx.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have an exact recipe, I just chuck some ground almonds into a bowl and rub in a knob of butter - I don't like my crumble mix sweetened so that's it.
I sweeten the fruit with Truvia/stevia.
Then a basic egg custard (cooked in a pan very carefully so it thickens but does not boil).

This one looks interesting.
https://santebonviveur.com/low-carb-rhubarb-crumble/
Yours sounds like my crumble "recipe", though I generally add some sweetener to mine! I sometimes do a cheat crumble - usually on top of the rhubarb or whatever in my little pudding bowl: a layer of thick cream, maybe followed by a sprinkling of (granulated,e.g. Truvia or Sukrin Gold) sweetener, then a layer of ground almonds with maybe some desiccated coconut, topped with a layer of toasted slivered almonds, and again maybe popped under the grill to crisp it up a bit.

Robbity

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yours sounds like my crumble "recipe", though I generally add some sweetener to mine! I sometimes do a cheat crumble - usually on top of the rhubarb or whatever in my little pudding bowl: a layer of thick cream, maybe followed by a sprinkling of (granulated,e.g. Truvia or Sukrin Gold) sweetener, then a layer of ground almonds with maybe some desiccated coconut, topped with a layer of toasted slivered almonds, and again maybe popped under the grill to crisp it up a bit.

Robbity
Yep, I use Truvia too.

Reactions: Robinredbreast