What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think it had an oregano crust. Twisca from the deli counter - those gels really bully me. Enjoy your meet up with your friend and the tennis. I can't warm to Federer.
Bet those gels love you....I cant warm to any of them...John Mc is the (tennis) man for me!

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 cremant has long been my favourite fizz so I am in good company!
@Goonergal I love that you do a freezer stocktake I tend to “fly by the seat of my pants” as regards the freezer though I have a great friend who keeps an inventory of meals and portion size and ticks them off as used.
The cremant de Loire in Sainsburys is on offer at moment it’s lovely and dry and my bgs have been happy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Snoddy

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think the chimp that sometimes sits on @dunelm's shoulder whispering wizard wheezes has migrated to the fens. Julie casually asked if I really needed to spend over £30 on cheese in W.......se - (sent to buy radishes and flowers) - those gals on the deli counter force fed me tasters especially Twisca gouda.. Being smug I replied "O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars / Are in the poorest thing superfluous. / Allow not nature more than nature needs, / Man’s life’s as cheap as beast’s." Completely forgot she went to school in Bermondsey before it was gentrified - language would have made a docker blush. Nurse says when the stitches heal there will be no scars . Can you please reclaim your chimp.
That Cordelia is a real bruiser - You should be ashamed of treating the poor and homeless better my lord.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Babybels with leafy salad and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold jerk chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by Oppo vanilla cheesecake, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Edit to add, I just had two squares of 85% chocolate brought back from the USA by a friend. Thank you, you know who you are x Very nice it was too :hungry::)

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A trip to the butcher on the high street and snaffled six excellently aged chops from some hapless lamb - more later.

Lunch - a salad based upon thick slices of ham carved off the bone by aforementioned butcher and some charcoal cheese that a friend gave me - included in a small selection - remnants from his youngest son’s wedding. Some stuffed peppers, pickles and stuff.

Dinner - @DCUKMod - tandoori lamb chops - done in my actifry - a triumph as you implied. Made enough marinade for cauliflower - cooked in a sautéed pan with a lid on and then chucked under the grill, sprinkled with the chopped up cauliflower greens for a bit of a char - not enough room in the actifry - Will certainly do it again - so easy, so tasty.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A trip to the butcher on the high street and snaffled six excellently aged chops from some hapless lamb - more later.

Lunch - a salad based upon thick slices of ham carved off the bone by aforementioned butcher and some charcoal cheese that a friend gave me - included in a small selection - remnants from his youngest son’s wedding. Some stuffed peppers, pickles and stuff.

Dinner - @DCUKMod - tandoori lamb chops - done in my actifry - a triumph as you implied. Made enough marinade for cauliflower - cooked in a sautéed pan with a lid on and then chucked under the grill, sprinkled with the chopped up cauliflower greens for a bit of a char - not enough room in the actifry - Will certainly do it again - so easy, so tasty.

Glad you enjoyed it as I did - even though you stuck closer to the recipe, using lamb. I think the marinade will be very versatile.

Reactions: DJC3

Viv19

Tea x 2
Cwc
Dog walk
Cwc. Nuts
Lunch at Vietnamese/Chinese restaurant. Duck with veg. OH had his soup starter and ‘my’ spring rolls. I still think the sauce tastes sweet.
Am wondering what my bg will be.
White wine spritzer
Came home and had yoghurt and berries.
Evening 2 slices LC bread with cheese. Tea

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our microwave has that setting of Nuke at 1000 watts, all the other wattage settings are for wimps.

Have to be careful m/waving tomatoes tho', have to make sure they have a big enough cut in them to stop them exploding.

I don’t know what the lower settings are for...

That would be an interesting clean up...

D

Deleted member 308541

I don’t know what the lower settings are for...

That would be an interesting clean up...
On our other microwave when it was working, we used to cook rice at 750 watts, we do not eat it anymore tho'.

Surprising the number of seeds in four or five cherry tomatoes, they were hard to scrub off as well.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to full record keeping for me after disappointingly raised HbA1c of 41. Must try harder. ( lipids and all the other stuff was fine - can’t win em all I guess)
B: 1 egg and slice of ham CWC
L: Mackerel salad with 1/2 avocado and a hard boiled egg oo/acv dressing. Later a handful of raspberries from the garden, (which I’ve just realised I didn’t record)
D: Good old standby of kobi Kheema ( mince&cabbage ) with spiced sautéed courgettes.
Various teas and coffees throughout the day.
Ps Thank you for your congratulatory messages @DCUKMod @Goonergal @shelley262

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On our other microwave when it was working, we used to cook rice at 750 watts, we do not eat it anymore tho'.

Surprising the number of seeds in four or five cherry tomatoes, they were hard to scrub off as well.

No rice here either, that's been assigned to the perpetual naughty step....

I know the amount of seeds in tomatoes. A remote beach where I played as a child in Wales, the sewerage came out of a pipe on to the beach. All around that sewerage pipe were thousands of tomato plants growing. That scared me, not the sewerage I didn't understand that as a child and in remote places it had to go somewhere, but I would never eat a tomato ever because I could see these tomato plants growing inside my body and as a child I knew the tomato leaves would grow out of my ears...

>^..^<

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all!

Had an unusual (and delicious) carby day yesterday.
Sushi for breakfast at 10 am, left half the rice, so maybe 15g carbs.

Then 26 g carbs in a snickers bar at 3pm :couchpotato:

Then a chinese takeaway of dry garlic chilli ribs and crispy duck. Delish!!! Drained and blotted most of the plum sauce off. Gave Mr B the pineapple chunks, and loved the duck which was at least half crispy skin. :D

Today should be much more normal and without the carb nonsense. Haha!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
12-07-19
Out of all easy, quick and, importantly quiet, breakfast foods, so stole one of MrSlims croissants. Did check BG, 5.8 before and at one hour test was 5.9. At that point MrSlim was up, so cooking possible. Made a bacon and egg omelette and more LG tea. So breakfast this morning was a whopping 800 calories.
Its cool this morning, the leeks seem to be sure icing and the recently transplanted French beans. Some of the runner beans failed to show up, but about 10 are looking healthy and need stakes soon. Few radish looking nearly ready. We have a resident pair of flycatchers this year. That combined with my efforts to seal the soakaway has greatly reduced the mouche population. With the neighbours cat doing a similar job on les souris. Now if only someone had an anteater we would have all our major pest problems sorted.
Lunch, the usual salad, with sardines, he had toast, I had coleslaw.
Bit of topping in the orchard that is our garden.
Dinner, chicken and vegetables reheated from yesterday, this time served with rice. I had Three spoonfuls, Carefully checked BG before, 5.8, one hour 6.5, and two 5.9 very pleased with that.
Mother phoned. Still worrying about my weight - had 2 cream crackers and lump of emmental as a result. Will be seeing her in about 10 days, must not lose any more before then.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to full record keeping for me after disappointingly raised HbA1c of 41. Must try harder. ( lipids and all the other stuff was fine - can’t win em all I guess)
B: 1 egg and slice of ham CWC
L: Mackerel salad with 1/2 avocado and a hard boiled egg oo/acv dressing. Later a handful of raspberries from the garden, (which I’ve just realised I didn’t record)
D: Good old standby of kobi Kheema ( mince&cabbage ) with spiced sautéed courgettes.
Various teas and coffees throughout the day.
Ps Thank you for your congratulatory messages @DCUKMod @Goonergal @shelley262
@DJC3 Can imagine hbaca1 disappointment as you’ve stuck to lCHF way of eating but it’s still the right side of the line and I think you came off Metformin in this last period ? It may be worth considering investing in a libre? Just 14 days to a month may help you work out just exactly what’s raising you much more accurately than blood pricking. It’s interesting to see the impact of stress, travelling, exercise, fasting etc for example on your body. I find odd things like that for me there is a much bigger rise from a very lc meal when haven’t eaten all day as compared to when have three small meals but most of my oddities are to do with stress and exercise reactions. My libre reads quite low - although quite close to finger pricking- but as I’m not on meds it’s more for me to do with reactions and trends and as get 24 hours of data about my body I can see where peaks are and what they are related to. Stress for me is def responsible for most of my peaks! Sorry if this is off thread .....

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No rice here either, that's been assigned to the perpetual naughty step....

I know the amount of seeds in tomatoes. A remote beach where I played as a child in Wales, the sewerage came out of a pipe on to the beach. All around that sewerage pipe were thousands of tomato plants growing. That scared me, not the sewerage I didn't understand that as a child and in remote places it had to go somewhere, but I would never eat a tomato ever because I could see these tomato plants growing inside my body and as a child I knew the tomato leaves would grow out of my ears...

>^..^<

As Gertrude Jekyll once said, a little night water does wonders for plants.

Reactions: DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
12-07-19
Out of all easy, quick and, importantly quiet, breakfast foods, so stole one of MrSlims croissants. Did check BG, 5.8 before and at one hour test was 5.9. At that point MrSlim was up, so cooking possible. Made a bacon and egg omelette and more LG tea. So breakfast this morning was a whopping 800 calories.
Its cool this morning, the leeks seem to be sure icing and the recently transplanted French beans. Some of the runner beans failed to show up, but about 10 are looking healthy and need stakes soon. Few radish looking nearly ready. We have a resident pair of flycatchers this year. That combined with my efforts to seal the soakaway has greatly reduced the mouche population. With the neighbours cat doing a similar job on les souris. Now if only someone had an anteater we would have all our major pest problems sorted.
Lunch, the usual salad, with sardines, he had toast, I had coleslaw.
Bit of topping in the orchard that is our garden.
Dinner, chicken and vegetables reheated from yesterday, this time served with rice. I had Three spoonfuls, Carefully checked BG before, 5.8, one hour 6.5, and two 5.9 very pleased with that.
Mother phoned. Still worrying about my weight - had 2 cream crackers and lump of emmental as a result. Will be seeing her in about 10 days, must not lose any more before then.

I have discovered that you can buy an anteater (exotic pets) but I think that you should go for a bear - bears eat ants and it will add excitement trying to keep away from it.

Reactions: Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Can imagine hbaca1 disappointment as you’ve stuck to lCHF way of eating but it’s still the right side of the line and I think you came off Metformin in this last period ? It may be worth considering investing in a libre? Just 14 days to a month may help you work out just exactly what’s raising you much more accurately than blood pricking. It’s interesting to see the impact of stress, travelling, exercise, fasting etc for example on your body. I find odd things like that for me there is a much bigger rise from a very lc meal when haven’t eaten all day as compared to when have three small meals but most of my oddities are to do with stress and exercise reactions. My libre reads quite low - although quite close to finger pricking- but as I’m not on meds it’s more for me to do with reactions and trends and as get 24 hours of data about my body I can see where peaks are and what they are related to. Stress for me is def responsible for most of my peaks! Sorry if this is off thread .....

Thanks @shelley262 it is the fact that I’m still eating v low carb which makes it a disappointing result, but yes I did stop metformin and have had slightly higher numbers since then, also a bit of anxiety and probably most important a lack of exercise. Dennis is still too young to go on big walks (2x20 mins a day) and doesn’t walk far - sniffs around a lot, so my step count has dropped right down and I’ve conveniently forgotten I have a set of weights and an exercise bike - I must quite literally get back on it.
The Libre is a good idea - I’ve a Thriva test in a month or so, and if I haven’t made a difference by then I will invest in one so will be back to you for more details.
Sorry again to have continued off topic. (First sentence mentions food though!)

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @shelley262 it is the fact that I’m still eating v low carb which makes it a disappointing result, but yes I did stop metformin and have had slightly higher numbers since then, also a bit of anxiety and probably most important a lack of exercise. Dennis is still too young to go on big walks (2x20 mins a day) and doesn’t walk far - sniffs around a lot, so my step count has dropped right down and I’ve conveniently forgotten I have a set of weights and an exercise bike - I must quite literally get back on it.
The Libre is a good idea - I’ve a Thriva test in a month or so, and if I haven’t made a difference by then I will invest in one so will be back to you for more details.
Sorry again to have continued off topic. (First sentence mentions food though!)

DCJ3 - Wearing the Libre from time to time, I found the imapct of stress enlightening;m in a way I didn't wanted to be enlightened, if you get my meaning.

I don't know which package you do at Thriva, but I did a MonitorMyHealth Thyroid panel a week or so ago, and founf them very efficient, and cost effective.

The tests are done on the Exeter NHS labs, in their quiet times, so evenings and weekends. It's the same, self-bleed and post process. It's just another option in this competitive world: https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/diabetes/

So far, today, I've just had my standard Greek yoghurt with stewed rhubarb for brekkers. There will be more eating later. :)

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3