may not be diabetic after 2 years :S ?

young17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hiyaa im 19 and have had type 1 diabetes for 2 years. at first i was on novo rapid and lantus but was always going hypo so they took me off novo rapid and for the past 2 years iv just been taking lantus (9 units at the moment) my hba1c 3 weeks ago was 5.4 so im clearly doing something right. has anyone ever heard of this?
A doctor the weekend was convinced i wasnt diabetic and has reffered me to the clinic in my hospital i just cant see how this is possible ?

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never heard of anything like this... unless it was a major mis-diagnosis in the first place.

redrevis

Sounds like you could be type 2 or something inbetween. I've spoken to a few people who've been rediagnosed to type 2 after being type 1. One of them was type 1 for a year and a half then rediagnosed to type 2 and is now on metformin. Have you had a c-peptide test done?

young17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
no i havnt had one of them tests what would it show ? im definitely going to the diabetic clinic asap and sorting this out. i might just be uneducated about type 2 diabetes but isnt that when you are over weight.. im 5 ft weighing 8 stone x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Much like what shedges has suggested, if you still need 9 units of lantus per day it is very likely you were mis-diagnosed and could be type 2 instead, but time will tell. Out of interest, what have your daily blood glucose readings been like since you came off the novorapid?

Nigel

young17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i came off novo rapid id say about 2 months after i was diagnosed.. my readings r between 4-9 but on the odd occasion can be 10-11 but not very often. my first year my hba1c was 6.6 but this years is 5.6

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
young17 said:
i came off novo rapid id say about 2 months after i was diagnosed.. my readings r between 4-9 but on the odd occasion can be 10-11 but not very often. my first year my hba1c was 6.6 but this years is 5.6

The occasional 10-11 readings does suggest that you are indeed diabetic, but as I am no expert do not take my word for it. Its important that now you monitor and record all your bg readings so that your consultant can examine them closely when you next attend your clinic appointment. It would be nice if you were not diabetic after all this time, but I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet and await your appointment for clarification.

Nigel

Dollyrocker

I think igf you were a non-diabetic taking Lantus then you would quickly be in a hypo-coma!

It's possible to be T2 and not overweight, I think more tests are needed

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
young17 said:
no i havnt had one of them tests what would it show ? im definitely going to the diabetic clinic asap and sorting this out. i might just be uneducated about type 2 diabetes but isnt that when you are over weight.. im 5 ft weighing 8 stone x

I believe a slim person can get Type 2 diabetes although it is less common and usually linked with obesity, but not always :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Hiya young17

Could you be mody? I was misdiagnosed for years, first they thought I was type one then type two then they weren't sure (my consultant actually said 'I can't diagnose you') then they worked out I was mody (monogenic diabetes). Its a less well known form of diabetes where unlike t1 you can still make your own insulin BUT the message that tells the body to produce a certain amount of insulin in response to your blood sugar doesn't work so the body doesn't know how much insulin to produce. It's purely genetic, on a single gene, but although you have the defective gene from when you are born it doesn't manifest until the teens or early 20s. So you are the perfect age to be a likely candidate. Also this type of diabetes is not linked to being overweight.

I was 15 when I got it and for many years was on tablets then went on to insulin about 10 years ago where unfortunately I have stayed.

It runs in families so if you have any close family members with diabetes that's a strong sign that you have mody but even if you don't, it can arise from a genetic mutation. My mum and brother have it, but no one else so i don't know who my mum got it from.

Many doctors just think in terms of type 1 or type 2 but they are now discovering there are many other, less well known and rarer forms of diabetes.
But if you can't make enough insulin to keep you healthy then you have diabetes whether its t1 t2 or something else.

If you get to see a diabetes consultant, talk to him about mody. Also check out exeter university who are doing a lot of research on this form of diabetes

here's the link:

http://www.projects.exeter.ac.uk/diabetesgenes/

good luck - hope you don't have to wait 15 years to get a proper diagnosis as I did!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was just composing my reply about MODY.
I agree with totally with Anticarb.
Diabetes is a symptom and we don't all fit into T1, T2 boxes.

moonstone

You could also be having an extended honeymoon period - I was using only 4 units of lantus a day and 3 units of novorapid, for a full year after being diagnosed.

Fazz

Hi Young17,

I don't think there could be any misdiagnosis because if you were not diabetic and took 9 units of insulin each day, you'd most probably suffer a serious hypo. But because your Hba1c was 5.4, it shows that your insulin is obviously working and you are most probably quite active in general hence the stability.

As for type 2, as one person on here said, you don't need to be overweight to be type 2. People generally have this idea that type 2 is because your overweight. It's not always the case. Type 1 is when your insulin int he body does not work at all and therefore you need to manually inject yourself with it, in type 2 you do have some insulin in the pancreas working, but it's not sufficient enough to help you throughout the day. It just happens that majority of the people with type 2 tend to be overweight, and if they lose the weight and exercise regularly, then a low dose of medication plus the extra insulin from your body could help you manage your diabetes healthily. I aint no doctor, but after being diagnosed with type 1 12 years ago and then type 2 5 years ago, and then type 1.5 3 years ago, I'v had this info drilled in to me quite a bit!!

But dont take my word for it. Research and you'll find out more :)

Whatever you do, DONT STOP YOUR INSULIN because of what the doctor says. Please make sure there is sufficient evidence to prove if your diabetic or not before taking any steps. :)

onlytwintip

I second moonstone's response, it could be an extended 'honeymoon'. I was on hardly any insulin for just over a year after diagnosis...

Harry