Type 2 Lazy chef

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I do have a slow cooker but don't really use it much my main problem is I work evenings finish at 9.00pm and I'm hungry then so end up grabbing stuff like toast or a sandwich things like that. As a result my sugars are high in the morning then.

I bought a timer for my slow cooker as I often leave very early in the morning and wouldn’t want to set the slow cooker off until a bit later. Works a treat - put everything in before I leave and set the timer to come on while I’m out and a delicious meal is ready for my return.

How about taking a couple of small, lower carb items with you - a small bag of nuts, for example - that you can grab if necessary?

Reactions: Bumpyswife_

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also dislike cooking and try to avoid long spells in the kitchen as much as possible. My meals usually consist of some variation of meat, eggs and some veg (all cooked in butter - I follow a keto diet). Lately with this hot weather I have not felt like cooking at all so I have been having sliced meats (ham, turkey etc), cheese and salad for dinner. Otherwise I'll just cook things from the freezer that are quick and easy - mince, sausages, fish etc. It doesn't have to be anything complicated! :)

Soozieann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sport.
Hi all any help out there for someone who is type2 wants to do low carb but hates cooking with a passion and left up to me would never follow a recipe. Thanks in advance
Good evening:). I usually love cooking but felt lazy the other evening. This gave me a glucose reading of 7.7 the following morning, and I was being a piggy as I LOVE food! So, in the oven, I cooked Sainsbury's mushroom & spinach kievs and Sainsbury's spicy bean burger [I had one of each]. I sliced a cauliflower into half inch slices, rolled them in olive oil and crushed garlic, seasoned them with paprika [smoked is best apparently, but I didn't have any] and a little salt [watching my BP], roasted for 20-30 mins while the burger and kievs were cooking. I served with courgettes and kale fried in lots of garlic and butter and one new potato for me. My husband loved it [and he is a non diabetic carnivore, except the kale]. You could equally serve with a salad.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dont forget those pork scratchings! Fantastic filler when you just arent up to making a meal.Take out rotisserie chicken like at Costco is a super non cooking,reasonably priced meal.

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A great standby is Sirataki noodles - no carbs. Read info about them. (I use Miracle Noodles) They are wonderful because you can do so many things with them & they are very filling. They come in linguine, spaghetti, angel hair and rice. They take on the flavor of whatever you add to them. You can just add butter, or low carb marina sauce & meatballs, Alfredo sauce, Curry sauce and chicken or shrimp. You can even fix ahead of time, refrigerate & heat when you get home. Perhaps on your day off you can make batches of few different things you like and just heat and eat during the week. Good luck.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Thanks I do have a slow cooker but don't really use it much my main problem is I work evenings finish at 9.00pm and I'm hungry then so end up grabbing stuff like toast or a sandwich things like that. As a result my sugars are high in the morning then.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Could you possibly put something into the slow cooker in the morning. Imagine coming home to tempting aromas and dinner already cooked.

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !
Hi all any help out there for someone who is type2 wants to do low carb but hates cooking with a passion and left up to me would never follow a recipe. Thanks in advance
How about juicing and soups sometimes ‍♂️then meats and fish with veg ... healthy and plain no effort ‍♂️

Bumpyswife_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad manners
Thanks everyone some great tips will be retiring in a month so that may help I won't be eating late at night then and will have more time to batch cook.

KeithT 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Bumpyswife. I am a self taught chef/cook since the age of 11. I am now fast approaching 76 with a lost interest in cooking for more than my wife and myself. Being a type 2 on a low Carb diet and pills, I have struggled to make interesting foods that I can tempt my non-diabetic wife with. One great thing for me is that red wine doesn't seem to affect my BS numbers so a glass of wine with my meals seems to make the fine dining portion sizes almost bearable. One meal I do for us which consists of no cooking whatsoever is this and all the ingredients easily purchased from the supermarket. We buy ours from Aldi. Here it is:

Ingredients: 2 ripe Avocado Pears. One bag of frozen prawns (they seem to have more fresh flavour). Salad ingredients (whatever you want). Small bag of croutons (I make my own from toasted homemade wholemeal bread). Olive oil and Balsamic vinegar.

Method: Empty frozen prawns into dish and allow to naturally defrost. Discard water from them and pat dry. If you prefer fresh prawns that's fine.

Mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar together in equal measure and whisk together. I put this on the table for self serving.

Prepare salad and arrange nice portions on the plates taking care to dress each plate creatively.

Cut avocado pears in half, remove stones and peel away the outer shell/skin (this is quite easy when they are ripe).
Slice avocados and arrange on plate in a fan style. Put a generous portion of prawns next to the avocado fans.

Sprinkle salad with a few croutons just before serving.

If you like a glass of wine with your meal, as we do, a nice crisp Pinot Grigio goes down well with with this meal We rarely eat puddings after a main meal but a small portion of cheese and half an apple is permissible I think. This is our meal for tonight by the way.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have the Pro King Chef cooker, it is brilliant. Of course there is some food prep with the King pro, but if that seem's to much of an effort. Invest in Sistema microwave steamer. I put salmon, some broccoli, and asparagus into the steamer, put into the microwave for 2 mins, take out, put some butter on so it melts. Delicious. Put some spice rub onto a leg of chicken, put into the oven, walk away. Get some green beans, cauliflower put into the micro steamer, when chicken is done, put veg on for 2 mins in the steamer. You can actually eat out of the steamer because its a single square in shape, I put the chicken onto foil in a tray, so there is just the tray that you steam and eat out of to wash, Throw a load of veg into the oven, season with spices of your choice, put a nice fatty pork chops on top.. After 20 mins baste put back into the oven..no effort at all. Bacon, onion, sausage, spinach egg bake done in the oven. Cut the sausage up, and bacon, onion, throw into a fry pan, fry in butter and little olive oil, add beaten eggs,throw in the spinach and bake in the oven. So quick and easy, you could put the fry pan in the oven with all of the ingredients in. Less washing up.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi if you like eggs then the perfect LC fast food awaits you. A three egg omelette will fill you up, I usually wilt down a handful of spinach or sliced mushrooms (or anything you like) in a knob of butter and then add the beaten egg. No more than 5 mins meal. Scrambled eggs quicker. Hardboiled do a box of 6 at a time dont shell and have ready in fridge to have with Little Gem leaves and a dollop of good mayo. Just peel the 3ggs first lol. Best wishes.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first started lchf I was seriously challenged as I have never cooked in the past and became lumbered with most of the cooking for one reason or another. And having to cook for 3 differing palates and needs at the same time. I found it very difficult. I still do. But I have learned along the way and it has become easier. So I empathise with you.

Last edited:

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
A useful addition to the slow cooker idea would be a timer plug. Throw your ingredients in and set the timer on the plug to come on 4 hours (or whatever is required) before you come home.
I tend to make soup twice a week so have something in the fridge to microwave. I also batch cook roasted Mediterranean vegetables which last for a day or two in the fridge, add some feta or griddled haloumi to serve.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a bad day for me if I spend more than 15 mins in the kitchen, including prepping and serving. The actual cooking time (oven, slow cooking, simmering, pancooking or pressure cooking) can be longer, of course. But I spend that time gardening, reading, watching tv or online. :D

I’m a throw-it-all-in one pot cook batch cook, having grown up in a house where washing up often took longer than eating, because every veg had its own saucepan. 3 chopping boards, etc.etc. Simply cannot be doing with it. And I cook up to 10 portions at a time, we eat the first 2, refrigerate 2 more, and freeze 6 individual portions. Then I have a constant supply of a variety of home made ready meals in the freezer. I only cook a couple of times a week, usually.

The one pot cooking style ;) allows for endless variation in herbs, spices, flavours and textures though. Love it!

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi @Bumpsywife_
Sorry to hear you can't / don't cook. Try bacon and eggs, simple boiled veggies [ use a microwave ] lots of good fats and oils . If you want to enjoy a little cooking try the headbangers recipe for low carb bread. A few simple ingredients, and 90 seconds in the microwave . Salads. Just splash olive oil vinegar salt and pepper any maybe mustard to make a delicious dressing if you can't face plain raw salad !
I look at diet dr. I sometimes make a sandwich with cheese, salami, fried egg, salads etc all held inside a couple of large raw cabbage leaves instead of bread.
I know you can get supermarket fish in a bag, with sauce, just boil and serve. Simple as boiling an egg. Good luck

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hi @Bumpsywife somehow my reply did not register the @ thing. Search about for my suggestion cheers

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
It’s a bad day for me if I spend more than 15 mins in the kitchen, including prepping and serving. The actual cooking time (oven, slow cooking, simmering, pancooking or pressure cooking) can be longer, of course. But I spend that time gardening, reading, watching tv or online. :D

I’m a throw-it-all-in one pot cook batch cook, having grown up in a house where washing up often took longer than eating, because every veg had its own saucepan. 3 chopping boards, etc.etc. Simply cannot be doing with it. And I cook up to 10 portions at a time, we eat the first 2, refrigerate 2 more, and freeze 6 individual portions. Then I have a constant supply of a variety of home made ready meals in the freezer. I only cook a couple of times a week, usually.

The one pot cooking style ;) allows for endless variation in herbs, spices, flavours and textures though. Love it!
Hi - @Bumpsywife_ I do the same with veggies. In boiling water for a minute or two, as I read that you have to blanche them, then pack in individual portions in the freezer, ready to be hauled out and microwaved. Easy.