Freestyle Libre as a dieting aid

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
OK I'm spraying this all over the Fora but I thought it sensible to put an entry in each major category to aid those who only look at a specific forum.

I've been a long term LCHF dieter with strong attempts to stay in ketosis.

However for several years I have continually struggled to get and keep my weight at or below 12 stone.

Two weeks with a Freestyle Libre strapped to my arm and I find that it acts as my conscience and tells me what is really going on with my BG levels 24/7.

Through taking notice I have lost 5 lbs in two weeks and hopefully will lose a bit more over the coming weeks.
The whole thing has been relatively painless as well, which suggests my previous problems have been mainly in my head.

So I would now recommend a Libre or two if you have a long term stalled weight loss campaign.
If, of course, you can afford to self fund.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is something I am considering, but I'm still unclear about how I can obtain a Libre without prescription. Can you please explain, or point me to a relevant thread? I'm T2D and have never had ordinary strips/meter from my GP.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Head to a local chemist or pharmacy and ask to purchase one. They may need to order it and price varies considerably between about £45 and £65 even different branches of big chains. Asda and Superdrug are often well priced. As a diagnosed diabetic you are entitled to buy it vat free. There may be a form required to declare this for the shop to provide HMRC. You also need either a libre reader or a compatible mobile phone. Iphone 7 and higher work. Not sure which others. It needs “near field something” maybe NFC??

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Samsung Galaxy 5 works.
NFC = Near Field Communication (IIRC).
Basically you get the App running then tap the back of your phone against the top of the reader.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can also buy the reader and sensors on Amazon. Join the Abbott mailing list too.

Reactions: Larissima

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mainly seeing the effect of things I used to eat, and when I think "Oh, just this once a little bit won't hurt!" computer says NO!

Edit: I am addicted to Leffe Belgian beer. However that sends my BG into orbit. An occasional bottle of IPA beer from Lidl doesn't seem to.

I can see a blip when I eat a single apricot, but not a big one.

I haven't dared try any bread related products yet.

This is the voice of the Mysterons.......

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, I will have a look in my local Asda when I come back from holidays. I just checked my phone and it has the NFC feature.