Dapagliflozin

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Has anyone else been put on this drug as it has been suggested to me as metformin SR effects my tum and my blood sugar is still rising! I eat healthily but have been told I have secondary diabetes as I also have pancreatic endocrine insufficiency too.
Would be grateful for any feedback about this drug as I am a bit scared of changing
Thanks

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
make sure if you start it that you have in-date ketone strips to check for ketones, as it can cause dka. Doesn't cause it in everyone but did for me so be sure to check if you don't feel well.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi. Has anyone else been put on this drug as it has been suggested to me as metformin SR effects my tum and my blood sugar is still rising! I eat healthily but have been told I have secondary diabetes as I also have pancreatic endocrine insufficiency too.
Would be grateful for any feedback about this drug as I am a bit scared of changing
Thanks

I’ve been on it since first week of diagnosis as metformin made me too ill.

I was never given ketone strips or advised to use them.

Side effects I’ve a constant need to pee. I did get nausea and headaches but since dropping to 5mg to try reduce the drop in sugar that’s more or less stopped.

Otherwise I’ve had no serious side effects but my sugars have dropped from 87 to 54 in 9 months.

Although I do do the LCHF diet as well.

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Constant need to pee doesn't sound good. I already have tum problems. I don't need more reasons to run to the loo!!!
Upped metformin and it has made me worse. Fed up!!!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Constant need to pee doesn't sound good. I already have tum problems. I don't need more reasons to run to the loo!!!
Upped metformin and it has made me worse. Fed up!!!

Well it’s more like bursting ever couple hours but to be honest compared to not managing sugars and the complications from that I’m happy.

Diabetes is a serious condition, for me if I have to take meds to sort it out that’s all good. Those meds have to be powerful because diabetes is so serious.
You are never going to get side effect free meds. But it’s whether those side effects are worse than the complications. For me it was worth it.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on it for 3 months or so. I have reduced my HbA1c from 78 to 38 in that time. I haven't noticed the need to pee particularly. I was on 10 mg now down to 5mg. I have not noticed any other side effects either. I was on it because I couldn't tolerate Metformin. I test ketones every so often but all is well so far.
Like most things diabetes related it is a case of try it and see if it suits as there is no one size fits all remedy.

Jaded Judi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe I should try it then. Metformin is just not helping me. My tum is awful and is impacting on my life! Not bringing blood sugars down either! Sigh...

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to say that I am low carbing as well as taking medication. My BG is down from a daily average of 13 to about 5.5 over the last 4 months or so.