What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Menu just became whole lot harder. Chickens had, 1 by 1, begun roosting in trees and refused to go in to secure coop. 1 left so sourcing vaguely similar eggs an issue now. Reports say Borisa the hen said no more vassalge and a fox called Donald was eagerly waiting to devour them. It couldn't be, could it?

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DCJ3 - Wearing the Libre from time to time, I found the imapct of stress enlightening;m in a way I didn't wanted to be enlightened, if you get my meaning.

I don't know which package you do at Thriva, but I did a MonitorMyHealth Thyroid panel a week or so ago, and founf them very efficient, and cost effective.

The tests are done on the Exeter NHS labs, in their quiet times, so evenings and weekends. It's the same, self-bleed and post process. It's just another option in this competitive world: https://monitormyhealth.org.uk/diabetes/

So far, today, I've just had my standard Greek yoghurt with stewed rhubarb for brekkers. There will be more eating later. :)

Thanks I think you and @shelley262 are right about the stress levels. I think it was a major contributing factor to getting this darn disease in the beginning!
Anxiety levels should reduce for a few months now so fingers crossed.
I’ve had a couple of Thriva tests but I couldn’t manage the self bleed - bathroom looked like a massacre had taken place, so now I’m a practice opportunity for student nurse daughter. I’m not squeamish about needles so don’t care if she’s a bit heavy handed.

To stay on track my breakfast at 10am was 2 bacon and 1 egg. With CWC obvs.
Am going to try the 3 small meals approach @shelley262 but not sure I can just eat 1/2 can of sardines/ mackerel. Mine might be a bit larger portions, well see.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I think you and @shelley262 are right about the stress levels. I think it was a major contributing factor to getting this darn disease in the beginning!
Anxiety levels should reduce for a few months now so fingers crossed.
I’ve had a couple of Thriva tests but I couldn’t manage the self bleed - bathroom looked like a massacre had taken place, so now I’m a practice opportunity for student nurse daughter. I’m not squeamish about needles so don’t care if she’s a bit heavy handed.

To stay on track my breakfast at 10am was 2 bacon and 1 egg. With CWC obvs.
Am going to try the 3 small meals approach @shelley262 but not sure I can just eat 1/2 can of sardines/ mackerel. Mine might be a bit larger portions, well see.
@DJC3 I think thing to be strict with is more the carbs bits. I just don’t like big quantities of many things but something like nuts for example I do need to be careful with and measure and then not go back to the cupboard! I’m sure it would make no difference to my bgs to have more of the fatty content such as whole tin of fish and or more cheese etc! It’s more what you accompany them with. I just find I can’t eat much of strongflavours like sardines and very dark chocolate. Small quantities of these are what I like.
To keep on track - this morning had one high pork chipolata sausage,one slice of bacon and one egg with ......50g of no added sugar baked beans ( about 4g of carbs) my first carbs experiment with my libre rather than finger pricking - beans resulted in just a short rise so think okay for me but just limited amount. I do normally tend to stick to stuff I know works for me. Thought would have a go trialling some different foods over last six days of sensor now bloods been taken. Planning a few small food trials over next few days!.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Posting early today as may not get the chance later.

Visits to 2 supermarkets and the local butcher to stock up. Oxtail, short rib, chicken wings, lamb shoulder, smoked salmon, eggs, cheese and cream now in plentiful supply.

Lunch was brined chicken drumsticks. Ages since I’ve done brined chicken and had forgotten how delicious it is. Two portions of wings now in the marinade for later transfer to the freezer. Followed by 20g Lindt 90% which was taking up valuable space in the freezer.

Dinner will be either smoked salmon and whipped creamy cheese or bacon and eggs. Not quite decided yet.

@DJC3 echo what @shelley262 and @DCUKMod say about insights from the Libre. I’ve seen more fluctuations (albeit in a narrow band) than are picked up by finger pricking and while I’ve known for a while that my post-prandial high is well beyond the 1 hour mark, some foods are really slow to show up. Very interesting to wear from time to time.

Viv19

Tea
Scrambled eggs, mushrooms. Toasted LC roll . Cwc
Lunch nuts, yoghurt with berries
Tea
Evening rest of chicken veg curry with cauli rice.
White wine. Stressed so let’s forget the water.
I wish I had some ice cream or chocolate. Feeling in need of something wicked. But just as well I don’t have any, I’m sure to eat too much of it.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

A few cashew nuts
And bits dark chocolate
Black coffee x2

8am
Eggs and cheese thrown in microwave...
cwc

11am
Raspberries and cream

12 noon
2slices roast beef
Butter
Iceberg lettuce
Spinach
Cucumber
Blitzed seeds

Then mugs tea x lots
Water x lots

That's it...

>^..^<

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Peeking in to say I think of you all daily!! I invented halvah just now. All I know is that I remember a sesame flavor from the 70's. So I took equal parts almond and coconut flours, and a spoon of tahini which says on its label, 4 carbs/2 tbsp, and all of them are fiber, moodgrd it together, and would have added the cocoa powder but I'm already over the limit for 90% choc today. I'll chill it and see if it sets up some. Probably would go with more coconut-to-almond next time. Opinion: right texture, not-strong sesame flavor, needs work. Maybe there's a place in my cupboard/freezer for a jar of coconut flour "marinating" with a good vanilla bean.....
IMG_9042.jpg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Peeking in to say I think of you all daily!! I invented halvah just now. All I know is that I remember a sesame flavor from the 70's. So I took equal parts almond and coconut flours, and a spoon of tahini which says on its label, 4 carbs/2 tbsp, and all of them are fiber, moodgrd it together, and would have added the cocoa powder but I'm already over the limit for 90% choc today. I'll chill it and see if it sets up some. Probably would go with more coconut-to-almond next time. Opinion: right texture, not-strong sesame flavor, needs work. Maybe there's a place in my cupboard/freezer for a jar of coconut flour "marinating" with a good vanilla bean.....
View attachment 34260
Looks good!
Nice to see you!
>^..^<

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing but tea until 4.00. NE1 was a red fox (cheese) and cucumber sandwich , 2 x schneiderbrot protein, followed by raclette. NE2 egg and avocado salad Checked out eggs in Morrisons and Waitrose. Closest to the ones our ex chickens laid were Waitrose - unbelievably long date and 3 or 4 dozen per week would be pricey for old eggs. 3.5 hour eating window. Food very much in my comfort zone. Knee seems to be better. I had been taking 2 types of anti allergy tablets from about March but ran out of 1 sort sometime ago. Some arrived Weds which seems a coincidence.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote we think of you daily too - goodto know you’re reading and thinking of us - hugs to you x
Breakfast sausage, bacon, egg and 50g of no added sugar baked beans
Lunch range of cheese, 20g walnuts, celery sticks and two lc seeded crispbreads followed by 20g - 6 hc 100% choc buttons
Dinner hm chicken curry served on cauliflower rice and with a drink of gin and soda water. Pudding sfjelly with a few home gown strawberries and raspberries and spoon ofyoghurt and cream.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@zauberflote we think of you daily too - goodto know you’re reading and thinking of us - hugs to you x

I must confess, I'm not actually reading. Sooooo sorry, just can't keep up. Will have time 23 Aug-5 Sept! Another vacay, same place, nobody but us two chickens.
Speaking of chickens.... @ianpspurs hope you'll be able to have another little flock next spring!

Reactions: Viv19 and maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If those are Heinz - are you aware the No Added Sugar version have a little more carbs than the normal ones.
I checked on Sainsburys site and no added sugar are 9.7 per 100g and ordinary ones are 12.5 per 100g I did spot your earlier post and double checked unless Sainsburys sitehas wrong info? Will go and check Waitrose next for their ordinary beans as only have no added sugar in cupboard which are 9.7 g per 100 g
Edit Waitrose also say 12.5 g https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/heinz-baked-beanz-4-pack/019030-9187-9188
so they are more than no added sugar as no added sugar label in my cupboard and on site says 9.7g
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/heinz-baked-beanz-no-added-sugar/404358-56911-56912

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I must confess, I'm not actually reading. Sooooo sorry, just can't keep up. Will have time 23 Aug-5 Sept! Another vacay, same place, nobody but us two chickens.
Speaking of chickens.... @ianpspurs hope you'll be able to have another little flock next spring!
Good to see you here @zauberflote . New house has much smaller garden - 1/10th at best - but we may be able to have a few chickens. We wouldn't have taken these with us as they had become used to the trees and freedom but there are plenty of people around here who would have re-homed them. The irony is that the survivor was the hen pecked one.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on a catch up again (although not as bad as last time). Boys are staying and having a quiet moment between little one going to bed and No 1 retiring! All quiet upstairs so hopefully he's asleep because he was very grouchy.
@DJC3 - So glad you got the all clear again. My brother had his a week ago and was also all clear-see you in 6 months. @shelley262 - hope the bloods went well. I've got a few to read yet.
Thursday - bed 7.8 FBG 7.7. Still sitting a bit high.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice of skinny bread with M&S whipped cheese.
L. Another slice of skinny bread with pate pate this time.
D. Chicken thigh and drumstick with veggie chips.
2 bits of Lindt 90%.
Boys were here most of the day apart from 2 hours at lunch club. No 1 continued to confound the bully by ignoring him.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our microwave has that setting of Nuke at 1000 watts, all the other wattage settings are for wimps.

Have to be careful m/waving tomatoes tho', have to make sure they have a big enough cut in them to stop them exploding.
I remember one of our consultants getting the microwave a bit wrong. Wife was away with the kiddies visiting the grandparents. He decided to microwave an egg - in its shell! That exploded, as did the microwave which caught fire. He managed to repair the damage and get a new microwave before she returned.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher - the tomato plants must have been quite triffid like. I may have to send a Triffid upstairs as there are still noises coming from No 2.
Friday now - bed 7.9 FBG 7.6 had the boys again from 8.45am to 1.30pm and it was pouring down so I was refereeing most of the morning. Once they were deposited home I nipped to the supermarket to get a few bits and bobs I couldn't get on my online order. I ended up doing 2 online orders as I couldn't get everything I wanted from Morrisons and still ended up with this quick trip. I ordered more burrata - was getting withdrawal symptoms.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Slice of skinny bread with pate pate. Had to eat something before going out.
D. Was supposed to be liver but Hubby had a yearning for pie so I ended up with 2 rashers crispy streaky bacon, fried egg (double yolk), 2 GF pork chipolatas , mushrooms and veggie chips.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 34260

Oh I used to love halva! I’ve a feeling I’d scoff far too much if I tried a lc version

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on a catch up again (although not as bad as last time). Boys are staying and having a quiet moment between little one going to bed and No 1 retiring! All quiet upstairs so hopefully he's asleep because he was very grouchy.
@DJC3 - So glad you got the all clear again. My brother had his a week ago and was also all clear-see you in 6 months. @shelley262 - hope the bloods went well. I've got a few to read yet.
Thursday - bed 7.8 FBG 7.7. Still sitting a bit high.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice of skinny bread with M&S whipped cheese.
L. Another slice of skinny bread with pate pate this time.
D. Chicken thigh and drumstick with veggie chips.
2 bits of Lindt 90%.
Boys were here most of the day apart from 2 hours at lunch club. No 1 continued to confound the bully by ignoring him.

So glad for your brother too. Such a fantastic feeling for everyone isn’t it?