Type 1 Unexplained high BG readings

Eylise

Hi all,
I hope some of you can clear this up for me. I was diagnosed 4 months ago with Type 1 diabetes and I'm using Novorapid and Levemir. Typically, I have severely suffered with hypos since, to the point that I am now hypo unaware up to a reading of about 3.0.
But, for the last 5 ish days, I've had unexplained peaks in my blood glucose readings, up to a 13.9 on my Libre so far (at 11pm too, ended up doing jumping jacks in the kitchen in a feeble attempt to lower them a tad). These have been happening over 2 hours since eating, and after any (but not all) meals. All I can think is that my honeymoon period is ending and I need to up my ratios, but I'm honestly not sure. Could somebody possibly help to shine some light on the issue??
Much appreciated.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi Eylise, Welcome. I hope you get to the bottom of your readings soon. Is there a diabetic team nurse you can phone? Some of my Libre readings are under 3.9 mmol/l when my finger pricks on my Freestyle lite are 1 - 1.5 mmol/l higher. Do you also check your Libre readings?

Eylise

Hi! @ert
Yeah I have a diabetes team, but they're only directly available over the phone Monday-Friday. Otherwise it's just the paediatric ward, and they never quite seem to know what to do with these specifics. I do use my Libre a lot, but if there's a concerning reading I always check my actual BG, as well as before all meals/uses of Novirapid. I just can't explain why my bloods are rising so high up to 4/5 hours after my injection.

Last edited:

Eylise

Hello @Eylise welcome to the forum.

First off never totally rely on your Libre, once outside its optimal range of 4-10mmol it is always better just to check with a finger prick.

Many things can affect our BSL and cause it to rise, what we have eaten, stress, heat, exercise even down to colour of your socks all get blamed.
Time of the month can also play a role as a few ladies on here become insulin resistance and have to up their insulin intake to match.

You mention food and some foods seem to affect more, what have you been eating?

For example pasta is classic as it is a slow digest and can increase your BSL many hours later.

Oh course like you say, it may or may not be the fact your pancreas has thrown the towel in, in which case I would get in contact with your medical team and talk with them.

I'll tag a couple of others in that maybe able to suggest something, @becca59 , @MeiChanski , @Robinredbreast , @helensaramay , @Mel dCP

Take care :)
I don't ever solely rely on my Libre, as I do get readings as inaccurate as up to 2mol away from my bloods, but most of the time it's pretty much spot on. So yeah, I use blood checks alongside my Libre. As for food, I'm pretty plain. I eat more or less the same type of thing for most meals, and for pasta ir takeaways and stuff like that, I split my dose.

Eylise

@Knikki thanks for the tag.
@Eylise I think Knikki has covered most things ... except one.
Excuse the indelicate question but, where are you in your monthly cycle.
It is quite common amongst us women to experience higher readings and insul8n resistance at certain times of the month
No such thing as an indelicate question in my books with this stuff, it's all medical after all. And in all honesty, I have no clue. I was on depo provera (the injection) for 9 months last year, and since starting that I haven't had any monthlys, even after finishing using it and swapping to something else.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! Thanks for the tag, @Knikki
Hmmm, I think so far there is a number of factors. I do agree you need to get in contact with your team to discuss it. I would advise finger pricking to confirm your readings as the libre has the tendency to be inaccurate.
I wonder is your basal level is okay though, maybe a basal check might help you to determine that is not causing your high readings.
and it depends on what you're eating - as some said pasta or higher fat meals can be slower to break down or need a split dose. Do you carb count?

Eylise

Hello again @Eylise I noticed you said your on Novarapid, do you find that after a period of time when the bloods rise they come back down with a vengeance?
It's truly a pot luck whether I go dramatically down or not. The other day I was on a 13.9 after breakfast, went on a short walk, and dropped straight down to a 4.1 within an hour. But most of the time my Novorapid has been perfectly fine.

Reactions: Knikki

Eylise

Hello! Thanks for the tag, @Knikki
Hmmm, I think so far there is a number of factors. I do agree you need to get in contact with your team to discuss it. I would advise finger pricking to confirm your readings as the libre has the tendency to be inaccurate.
I wonder is your basal level is okay though, maybe a basal check might help you to determine that is not causing your high readings.
and it depends on what you're eating - as some said pasta or higher fat meals can be slower to break down or need a split dose. Do you carb count?
I'll definitely contact my team on Monday to see if they recommend changing any ratios or Levemir doses. And yes, I do carb count for every meal (unless I'm eating out with no available nutritional info, then it's a huge guess based on past meals), and I rarely ever change what I eat for breakfast or even lunch. I split my doses 50/50 for high GI meals in order to avoid huge spikes ir drops in my bloods after eating.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll definitely contact my team on Monday to see if they recommend changing any ratios or Levemir doses. And yes, I do carb count for every meal (unless I'm eating out with no available nutritional info, then it's a huge guess based on past meals), and I rarely ever change what I eat for breakfast or even lunch. I split my doses 50/50 for high GI meals in order to avoid huge spikes ir drops in my bloods after eating.
Tbh we all spike after eating carby meals, I wonder whether you time your bolus to minimise the spikes. I know I have to give novorapid that time to start working. I know a few T1's do low carb and it doesn't spike as much as full on carbs.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Like @Knikki said, the honeymoon phase can just be really erratic, you make some then you don't and then you will again.

Call your team and ask them for suggestions on how you should handle it. This is a huge learning curve right now and once you get stable and learn it will become second nature. But it's a lot harder to dose at the beginning.

On exercise, any exercise, is a learning curve all on it's own. But it does lower your BG's and walking for some reason for me really drops mine. I can get on an exercise bike and peddle for a lot longer with hardly any effect. You need to be careful about exercising when your Bg's are too high though.

Plus most people can gain back hypo awareness by keeping your sugars from dropping too low for a few weeks. (not everyone)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks @Knikki, from all of the great replies I don't think I could add anything @Eylise. Even when we do our very best, Type 1 can be so frustrating at times.
Good luck.

Reactions: Eylise