"Defatizing............"

Status
Not open for further replies.

viv1969

Sorry if this sounds pedantic, but shouldn't the 2 "defatizing" threads be moved to the Weight Loss section?

Kenny

That sounds pedantic. Next time you post something, try to make it positive and encouraging.

RussG

Kenny, I think that response was uncalled for. Viv posts any number of positive and encouraging posts and this was a simple question.

viv1969

Thanks Russ.

Kenny, pardon me, but you can call it "defatizing" or whatever you want to call it, but the simple fact it's a weight loss method and should therefore be in the appropriate forum section otherwise we might as well have ALL the posts mixed together in one big fourm stew.

Now I apologised in advance, so there was no reason to come back at me like a bear with toothache. Besides I am as entitled to post my opinions here as you are.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd prefer if my thread wasn't moved. Although the regime is causing (a lot of!) weight loss, I'm also doing it (and mainly) to stabilise my BG, especially my fasting BG.

It's doing that in a pretty drammatic fashion right now!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the way I've interpretted it, TBW.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With respect but these threads don't need to be moved to the Weight Loss Section but removed from the forum altogether!

They serve no purpose whatsoever except to the individuals involved, as the biggest UK diabetes forum it turns my blood cold that newbies may consider this a serious option, even worse is that HCP may be viewing the forum and shaking their heads in disbelief that these threads are drawing so much attention.

No disrespect guys but could you continue these diets and discussions via pm to let more serious dietary discussions to flow?

Nigel

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
As it's following a report that was related to diabetes I can see the relevance of what the "defatisers" (I'm sorry I'm English I'll spell it with an S!) are trying. As to how it affects newcomers then I think their honest feedback is what's needed-it was posted that 1 has fallen off the wagon thus proving it's clearly not an easy option. It's not something I can ever see myself trying or recommending but my view is this is a forum for personal experiences and that is what they're doing.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Nigel,
You say "With respect", you want things that you do not agree with removed!
I feel that , if warnings are put in place, the threads should run to allow the members to "be grown up boys and girls" and read and decide for themselves and make up our own minds whether we wish to followthis path!
Give us the respect to allow us to decide for ourselves. :evil:

ClaireG 06

Could we please all remember that everyone is different and has different ways of doing things. This includes different ways of treating their diabetes.

Kenny

RussG said:
Kenny, I think that response was uncalled for. Viv posts any number of positive and encouraging posts and this was a simple question.
Okay.

Kenny

viv1969 said:
Now I apologised in advance, so there was no reason to come back at me like a bear with toothache. Besides I am as entitled to post my opinions here as you are.
Sorry

Kenny

noblehead said:
They serve no purpose whatsoever except to the individuals involved, as the biggest UK diabetes forum it turns my blood cold that newbies may consider this a serious option, even worse is that HCP may be viewing the forum and shaking their heads in disbelief that these threads are drawing so much attention.
Thus spake Nigel.

So, Nigel. Did you read the report? [mod edit: could be seen as antagonistic]

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Kenny said:
noblehead said:
Thus spake Nigel.

So, Nigel. Did you read the report? Or are you spouting from a place of ignorance?

Yet another aggressive post from Kenny, I found Nigels post far from ignorant actually and agree with it as well (for the record).

Fergus if everyone is entitled to an opinion then surely Nigel is allowed to express his whether anyone agrees with it or not it is an opinion.

I actually believe these threads are dangerous and should be removed for that reason alone, crash diets DO NOT WORK in the long term that has been proven without exception time and time again I did it myself in the 80's with one of these shakes diets, lost loads of weight and put it straight back on plus a bit more because I failed to change my eating and drinking habits afterwards and its lifestyle changes that result in long term weight loss. As for the organ fat reduction that is still open to investigation as no long term studies have been done.

We have already read a very sad post from WhitbyJet concerning the tragic death of a neighbour which was due to this type of ridiculous diet and even Diabetes UK who funded the research have stated that this diet should not be undertaken without medical supervision, I think that says it all and as Nigel I think it is irresponsible to allow these threads to stay.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, everyone has one and thats mine and I care not whether you agree with it or not.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sid ,
sorry, unlike Nigel, I never intended to espouse a pro censorship stance.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Nige said:
With respect but these threads don't need to be moved to the Weight Loss Section but removed from the forum altogether!

No disrespect guys but could you continue these diets and discussions via pm to let more serious dietary discussions to flow?

Nigel

:lol:

Unbeliever

Its a difficult one but I tend to agree with Viv but can understand all the different points of view expressed. Who would wish to be a moderator eh?

In a sense its like the "daily fasting numbers" thread. You could say that was only of real interest to the participants as it is not meaningful in general terms with everyone coming from different places. etc. Newly diagnosed could become veryconfused/depressed.

On the other hand it is not all about the newly diagnosed. If people decide to do something extreme maybe they also need to post and it may be possible for others to have some input and advise them. Everyone is surely equally important.
Nigel posted out of concern and as a result of his long experience with diabetes as did Sid.
As was pointed out above the diffficulties of this diet might well be of interest and help to others considering trying the same hing.

I think the real problem is that not everyone reads hings thoroughly , some just "dip into " a forum and may get the rwrong idea- eg think that his diet is something recommended for all in all circumstances.

Putting it under "Weight loss" would pat least narrow the field and prevent misunderstandings.
Viv's suggestion is a compromise for everyone. Everyone deserves support .
I don't think driving these things underground is necessarily beneficial .

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Unbeliever said:
Its a difficult one but I tend to agree with Viv but can understand all the different points of view expressed. Who would wish to be a moderator eh?

Hardly a hard moderating decision IMHO if DUK say this diet should not be undertaken without medical supervision then I think it is irresponsible for this forum to allow threads recommending it where others may choose to emulate this diet possibly in a dangerous manner, we have already read that some are trying it with other diet plan shakes and tweaking it to their own situation.

Unbeliever said:
On the other hand it is not all about the newly diagnosed. If people decide to do something extreme maybe they also need to post and it may be possible for others to have some input and advise them. Everyone is surely equally important.

Even after we have heard that one person has tragically died following this type of diet?

I am all for free speech but with freedom comes responsibility and anything posted here can be read by desperate people members or not that may try to emulate this diet in a dangerous manner which could also end in another tragedy.

Hand on heart who would want that on their conscience?

Status
Not open for further replies.