Cut finger still oozing blood 14 hours later

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Firstly I stress, this is not a gushing wound. It’s a slow small ooze, its just the fact it hasn’t stopped I’m getting concerned about.

I stupidly accidentally sliced part of the pad of my index finger off. After it hadn’t stopped bleeding after 30 minutes compression I called my GP and made an appointment to go in, was still bleeding by the time the doctor on roster (not my usual doctor and the one who’s managing my type 2 diabetes and depression) saw me. Not gushing, just a steady drip.

The doctor burned some of the wound with a silver nitrate stick which was pretty agonising, but said he wasn’t able to stop the bleeding that way. I asked him to at least tape it up and he said no there wasn’t any point as it was still bleeding too much. He said to go home and just keep compressing it with paper towel until it clotted and come back early in the morning for a nurse to tape up, I made an appointment for 8.30.

He asked me how I cut it and found it pretty funny when I replied I had been cutting meat for my cats. Think he laughed because I look like such a stereotypical “pathetic early middle aged single tragic cat lady”.

He also quizzed me about my diabetes which I wasn’t expecting, said it “wasn’t looking good” and to expect to have to go on medication very soon. I replied if that’s the case then my suicide plan may get fast tracked, as from all I’ve read if you’re not able to manage without medication or insulin that’s when deterioration seems statistically inevitable, and I’m not going to struggle and suffer alone with complications like amputations, blindness and kidney failure, I’m ending things on my own terms if all I’ve got to look forward to is that misery. My regular GP knows all this.

I know diabetics are more prone to wound infections resulting in amputations. I’m kind of worried that as my doctor wouldn’t professionally sterilise and tape up the cut, down the track I’m going to get an infection and lose the finger. Given my job is as a typist and I’m not qualified to do anything else, yes I am going to kill myself if I have to lose a finger.

Anyway I went home, compressed and after about an hour the drip seemed to slow and stop, and it was just oozing very slightly. So I wrapped up in band aids and got on with the day. A couple of hours later I noticed the tip of the band aid covered finger was a bit damp, peeled the first band aid off and it had soaked through. Bleeding was at a slow ooze.

Compressed for about 40 minutes and it seemed to stop again, put more band aids on. Same thing happened. And again.

To cut a long story short (pun intended because you have to laugh or you’ll scream until you’re insane) it’s after 2 am now and the cut hasn’t stopped oozing blood by itself and I can’t stop crying because trust me to do something stupid like slice the pad of my finger off and trust my body to do something stupid like be still oozing blood 14 hours later.

I’ve been able to test my blood heaps of times, it’s fluctuated between a 6 and high 9’s. All I’ve eaten in the last 48 hours has been ground beef and a small amount of zucchini so it’s NOT a carb overload, it’s stress and the fact my body is clearly just terrible at controlling my blood sugar.

If I go to sleep I’m not going to able to keep compressing and will ooze blood and make a mess.

I only have to wait another six hours until my nurses appointment where they will hopefully be able to tape it up like the doctor didn’t want to yesterday.

I am NOT going to the emergency ward for a cut finger that’s just oozing blood. Obviously if it was a serious injury I’d have done that hours ago. And I’m worried that if I do, when I disclose my diabetes they’ll say it’s only bleeding because of that and not do anything about it.

Is the diabetes causing the cut to keep oozing? Does glucose make your blood thinner or change the consistency?

Don’t worry, I am very cognisant of the irony of a diabetic with a cut finger that won’t stop bleeding. I’ve been having recurring dreams about cutting myself and dumping all my sugary useless blood down a drain. Trying not to listen to the voice in my head telling me maybe this persistent little cut is a hint from the universe to maybe go run a warm bath, get the knife and finish the job.

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be something to mention to your doctor - maybe something is amiss with your clotting factor or platelets or - something.
I've always had good clotting - by the time someone gets a plaster ready most minor cuts have sealed up.
As it was the finger pad, maybe that is why it leaked for so long, sacrificing blood so that, in passing by, it could nourish nerve endings.
Try not to be despondent - it will not be a persistent cut unless it persists for far longer than it has done so far, and the leaking will also help to keep infection at bay.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes doesn’t affect clotting as far as I know but medical attention needs to be sought if your finger is still bleeding after so long. Your finger is the priority now, your blood sugars are probably elevated due to the stress. I would urge you to see someone about your finger and follow up your diabetes and your other worries as soon as possible.

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys. Full disclosure, the doctor said if it didn’t stop bleeding to “go to the hospital” but didn’t really give a time frame for stopping or what constitutes bleeding, which IMHO means more dripping or running than just this very small but very persistent ooze.

I called the hospital health service for an opinion and the nurse said to go to emergency given it’s been 14 hours and I’m diabetic. So I’m about to drive to the hospital for a cut finger and feeling very stupid and like I’m massively wasting everyone’s time mine included. :/

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Adm_Mad

I’m sorry you had this accident. I’m always a bit emotionally wobbly after an injury like that, and i would suggest that feeling off kilter and distressed is perfectly normal. This kind of thing ALWAYS seems to happen on the weekends, and Sunday stretches out like an isolated desert.

Lots of things going on for you, and I’m afraid that no matter what we here on the forum say, we are unable to offer you the support that I think you need. Particularly emotionally. We are, of course, here. We can offer you a sounding box, and (in a way) company. But for anything more, we are limited to pixels and suggestions.

Firstly, only a medical professional with the appropriate training and experience can tell you what your finger needs. Sometimes blood flow can take ages to stop - but it really all depends on the depth and location of the cut. Sometimes various medications can affect coagulation. If in doubt, please ring 111 (if you are in the UK). Are you holding your hand up? I had a nasty cut on a finger (aged 11 at guide camp. Yup, that is the extent of my personal experience on this. A distant memory now!) and I was told to ‘elevate it’ to eye level to help reduce bleeding. I remember it making a lot of difference. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether modern medicine still gives the same advice. Google may well give you much better advice.

Regarding whether diabetes thins blood... again, am not qualified to comment and can only offer general statements about hydration and medications affecting the situation.

And finally, your mention of suicidal thoughts. I know these are not new to you, because you have mentioned them on the forum before. And frankly, no one here is in a position to give you the support you need. However, I do want to urge you to ring the Samaritans to discuss these feelings. Today, tomorrow, whenever you need. There is a huge difference between we forum members confined to the written world, and a person speaking to you in real time, a human voice. No judgement, just human interaction.

I would also encourage you to have a proper meal, if you are able. Does amazing things for that post-accident wobbly-shaky-self criticism.

Best wishes, and please let us know what happens with the nurse tomorrow?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly I stress, this is not a gushing wound. It’s a slow small ooze, its just the fact it hasn’t stopped I’m getting concerned about.

I stupidly accidentally sliced part of the pad of my index finger off. After it hadn’t stopped bleeding after 30 minutes compression I called my GP and made an appointment to go in, was still bleeding by the time the doctor on roster (not my usual doctor and the one who’s managing my type 2 diabetes and depression) saw me. Not gushing, just a steady drip.

The doctor burned some of the wound with a silver nitrate stick which was pretty agonising, but said he wasn’t able to stop the bleeding that way. I asked him to at least tape it up and he said no there wasn’t any point as it was still bleeding too much. He said to go home and just keep compressing it with paper towel until it clotted and come back early in the morning for a nurse to tape up, I made an appointment for 8.30.

He asked me how I cut it and found it pretty funny when I replied I had been cutting meat for my cats. Think he laughed because I look like such a stereotypical “pathetic early middle aged single tragic cat lady”.

He also quizzed me about my diabetes which I wasn’t expecting, said it “wasn’t looking good” and to expect to have to go on medication very soon. I replied if that’s the case then my suicide plan may get fast tracked, as from all I’ve read if you’re not able to manage without medication or insulin that’s when deterioration seems statistically inevitable, and I’m not going to struggle and suffer alone with complications like amputations, blindness and kidney failure, I’m ending things on my own terms if all I’ve got to look forward to is that misery. My regular GP knows all this.

I know diabetics are more prone to wound infections resulting in amputations. I’m kind of worried that as my doctor wouldn’t professionally sterilise and tape up the cut, down the track I’m going to get an infection and lose the finger. Given my job is as a typist and I’m not qualified to do anything else, yes I am going to kill myself if I have to lose a finger.

Anyway I went home, compressed and after about an hour the drip seemed to slow and stop, and it was just oozing very slightly. So I wrapped up in band aids and got on with the day. A couple of hours later I noticed the tip of the band aid covered finger was a bit damp, peeled the first band aid off and it had soaked through. Bleeding was at a slow ooze.

Compressed for about 40 minutes and it seemed to stop again, put more band aids on. Same thing happened. And again.

To cut a long story short (pun intended because you have to laugh or you’ll scream until you’re insane) it’s after 2 am now and the cut hasn’t stopped oozing blood by itself and I can’t stop crying because trust me to do something stupid like slice the pad of my finger off and trust my body to do something stupid like be still oozing blood 14 hours later.

I’ve been able to test my blood heaps of times, it’s fluctuated between a 6 and high 9’s. All I’ve eaten in the last 48 hours has been ground beef and a small amount of zucchini so it’s NOT a carb overload, it’s stress and the fact my body is clearly just terrible at controlling my blood sugar.

If I go to sleep I’m not going to able to keep compressing and will ooze blood and make a mess.

I only have to wait another six hours until my nurses appointment where they will hopefully be able to tape it up like the doctor didn’t want to yesterday.

I am NOT going to the emergency ward for a cut finger that’s just oozing blood. Obviously if it was a serious injury I’d have done that hours ago. And I’m worried that if I do, when I disclose my diabetes they’ll say it’s only bleeding because of that and not do anything about it.

Is the diabetes causing the cut to keep oozing? Does glucose make your blood thinner or change the consistency?

Don’t worry, I am very cognisant of the irony of a diabetic with a cut finger that won’t stop bleeding. I’ve been having recurring dreams about cutting myself and dumping all my sugary useless blood down a drain. Trying not to listen to the voice in my head telling me maybe this persistent little cut is a hint from the universe to maybe go run a warm bath, get the knife and finish the job.

Hello there - I can be quite clumsy with knives from time to time and because our knives are very sharp have ended up being patched up numerous times. One tme, I drove to see my Doc, with my hand wrapped in a tea towel, so I feel your pain.

Whatever is causing your finger to continue to ooze can be sorted out once you've been seen.

As you are confirming the ooze is very gentle, and you are unwilling to do anything with A&E tonight, would you consider calling a helpline to help with your thoughts? I'm unsure where you are in Australia, but hopefully there could be something on this web page.

https://www.mymentalhealth.org.au/p...nformal-support/helplines-and-online-support/

If you will not do that, the I would suggest you consider wrapping your hand in a towel or tea towel and try to get some sleep. Your stress levels are unlikely to be helping your body manage the trauma.

Whatever you do, and whenever you are seen, I suggest, as well as dealing with that finger that you seek urgent help with those thoughts. You deserve a more comfortable life than you are experiencing right now.

Please seek help, now.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have had intermittent bleeding problems for years - some times I'd heal fast other times I'd flood blood all over a hospital floor.
My drs never followed up, then a couple of years ago I found out my uncle has the same problem and has his platelets checked before operations.
last week I had the annual foot check and the podiatrist cut my toe nails - the large bruise under my little toe was about 4 days old but when she cut the nail red liquid blood came out ...
Fingers bleed a lot and getting it checked out and stopped is the right thing to do.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree that once this finger has been sorted out you consider other help - it is not unusual to find that adjusting to being diagnosed is difficult. I seemed to be doing fine for about 7 months after the initial month then had a bad patch. I am back on track now and my blood sugar is doing well on low carb, hopefully with help you can achieve better control and not end up with any serious issues.

D

Deleted member 308541

When I worked in the meat industry, I cut / nicked the tips of my fingers on occasion. When ever I got a bleeder that would not stop I used to get it dressed including a stitch or two at the emergency dept.

The ones that stopped as soon a s I put a dressing on it were in the majority though.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Generally, the best thing to do for oozing / bleeding wounds is to wrap a pressure bandage around it and then DO NOT REMOVE the pressure dressing. ;) If it then shows signs of bleeding / oozing through the pressure bandage, then apply ANOTHER, on top but still not removing the original pressure dressing. Continue with this practice until you are controlling it.

Obviously, if you are bleeding significicant amounts, you would need to seek immediate attention, ie A/E dept.

After you've controlled this for about 24 hours, then it's probably sensible to carefully remove all the padding and bandages to check the would but, if it starts bleeding again, then seek medical attention.

As you've seemingly cut some of the pad of the finger off, it is likely to ooze for a time but, personally, I wouldn't be too concerned and would suggest you followed the steps I've given above. Larger areas like this are likely to ooze for a while and pressure (constant) should contol it. If it had been a cut and the skin can close over the wound, the bleeding/oozing usually stops quickly - hence your oozing, as you've got a larger open area with no pressure.

I hope your appt with the nurse tomorrow is successful. Hopefully, with constant pressure with bandaging overnight, it will have almost stopped by morning.

Also, keep your hand up at shoulder height so as to lessen the blood pressure in the hand/finger ;)

Wishing you all the best ...

Reactions: Flora123

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks guys for your input/advice (yes I had been compressing, holding hand above head etc). I feel now like asking whether sugar affects the consistency of blood was a stupid question, but hey it can affect the consistency of other liquids.

Update: here’s how to stop a cut finger oozing blood after it’s been oozing blood for 14 hours.

Drive 30 minutes to the hospital and get admitted to emergency. Wait 3 hours. It will finally stop oozing blood, god knows how long before a doctor would eve have been able to see you. Then, realising it’s only a couple of hours or so before your appointment at your GP and there’s no point wasting an ED doctors time now your finger isn’t oozing blood anymore, tell the nurses you’re just going to go, knowing you look like one of those awful “I’m not really seriously sick or hurt enough to be here, I’m one of those dilettante idiots who misuse the ED because I think I’m too special to go to my GP like a normal person, but now I’m bored of waiting so I’m going to bounce” people.

That’s how to make a cut finger stop bleeding.

I also think the nurse judged the hell out of my type 2 diabetic self when she did a finger prick test and it was in the high 9’s. By the time I got home it was into the 10’s.

Given it’s 6 am now and I haven’t slept, I know it’s a combination of dawn phenomenon and stress. Isn’t it fantastic that being stressed and depressed about having diabetes makes your diabetes worse? I sure as heck didn’t eat a meal like someone above suggested. Eating whenever I feel hungry works for some diabetics, but not for me. I need to stay low calorie as well as low carb and even that seems to be not working anymore. If you can eat bacon and butter and steak without a thought about portion size or calorie count and have an HbA1c in the 5’s or “reversed” diabetes I’m happy for you but it’s not like that for all of us and it’s NOT because we’re doing something wrong.

Tomorrow was my follow up blood test so I was going to the doctor’s anyway. My HbA1c isn’t going to be as good as I hoped or that other people here post about, and I know my GP will put me on metformin or whatever the Australian equivalent is.

I’ll see if adding medication to exercise and diet does anything to help control. If it doesn’t, or only works for a few months then my BG starts creeping again then I’ll accept that’s the writing on the wall.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys for your input/advice (yes I had been compressing, holding hand above head etc). I feel now like asking whether sugar affects the consistency of blood was a stupid question, but hey it can affect the consistency of other liquids.

Update: here’s how to stop a cut finger oozing blood after it’s been oozing blood for 14 hours.

Drive 30 minutes to the hospital and get admitted to emergency. Wait 3 hours. It will finally stop oozing blood, god knows how long before a doctor would eve have been able to see you. Then, realising it’s only a couple of hours or so before your appointment at your GP and there’s no point wasting an ED doctors time now your finger isn’t oozing blood anymore, tell the nurses you’re just going to go, knowing you look like one of those awful “I’m not really seriously sick or hurt enough to be here, I’m one of those dilettante idiots who misuse the ED because I think I’m too special to go to my GP like a normal person, but now I’m bored of waiting so I’m going to bounce” people.

That’s how to make a cut finger stop bleeding.

I also think the nurse judged the hell out of my type 2 diabetic self when she did a finger prick test and it was in the high 9’s. By the time I got home it was into the 10’s.

Given it’s 6 am now and I haven’t slept, I know it’s a combination of dawn phenomenon and stress. Isn’t it fantastic that being stressed and depressed about having diabetes makes your diabetes worse? I sure as heck didn’t eat a meal like someone above suggested. Eating whenever I feel hungry works for some diabetics, but not for me. I need to stay low calorie as well as low carb and even that seems to be not working anymore. If you can eat bacon and butter and steak without a thought about portion size or calorie count and have an HbA1c in the 5’s or “reversed” diabetes I’m happy for you but it’s not like that for all of us and it’s NOT because we’re doing something wrong.

Tomorrow was my follow up blood test so I was going to the doctor’s anyway. My HbA1c isn’t going to be as good as I hoped or that other people here post about, and I know my GP will put me on metformin or whatever the Australian equivalent is.

I’ll see if adding medication to exercise and diet does anything to help control. If it doesn’t, or only works for a few months then my BG starts creeping again then I’ll accept that’s the writing on the wall.

Adm_Mad, there are over 400 combinations of oral medications that can be used to aid control of T2 diabetes, before turning to insulin, so please don't be too quite to be too fatalistic.

There can be no doubt some people have more to contend with in life, and in managing their T2 diabetes, and without a shadow of doubt, many, many need some pharmaceutical help. I'm very lucky with my T2, and have managed to get it into a good place, but I need to take long terms meds for my thyroid function, which is currently nose diving off a metaphoric cliff.

For the first time ever in my life, I am taking regular medication and I detest doing it, but I sure as heck feel better for doing it. Sometimes a bit of pharma help is just the job, so please don't close your mind.

Many people do well on Metformin and even find there are additional benefits too, like taking the edge off their hunger,and for a time it can help with trimming up, if that's something that could benefit you.

Keep trying and keep an open mind.