Dexcom G6

nadeena

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Firstly apologies in advance if this has been posted before and if I have posted this in the wrong area.

I’m after some advice from any fellow users of the Dexcom G6: does the app/device have a facility built into it to calculate the bolas needed based on reading and carb content?

I cannot find any information online relating to this.

My 8 year old has been type 1 for just over 2.5 years, injects insulin and currently uses the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert. The clinic has suggested we could use the Libre but I would like to explore all options.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Unless it's different in the UK, and I don't think it is? It does not calculate anything, it charts your BG's 24/7. It also has alarms that you can set to warn you of highs and lows. There is a pump if you have that connects to it, tslim X2, that feeds the information to the pump for dosing. But that is not available yet in every country. The Omnipod is supposed to be doing that too by the end of the year or next year. Every pump will calculate bolus for you.

The difference between the Dexcom and the Libre is the Dexcom can be calibrated for more accuracy and has alerts. It also has a share ap that other people can see if you want more than one person seeing the readings. But the Dexcom is also more expensive.

This is all in the US, sometimes there are differences with countries. I wear mine on my arm.

nadeena

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Marie for your reply.

That is really useful to know. I know at present he is happy to inject (I use that term lightly) and it’s not be mentioned about changing to a pump at present.

Can I just ask if there are any G6 users that do inject, what facility do they use to calculate dose?

I am confident working out a correction and/or bolas but just a concern when he is at school or with other family members during the holidays how they would know the insulin dose to give as the Accu Expert works this out automatically. Would be interested to know how others get around this.

Thank you

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure if your bolus calculator question will be seen? So you might start a new thread asking what bolus calculator people recommend as a new thread if you don't get an answer. Not as many people use a G6 in the UK.