What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: low carb hot choc (600mls)
L: 600mls chicken broth with a dash of cream and 150g Wensleydale
D: butter chicken curry (4 chicken thighs)

Giving a rough idea of portion sizes :couchpotato:

Thank you for portion sizes - I’m finding it very helpful at the moment to see exactly what is working for others.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: gammon slow cooked in Orange Fanta zero, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola. (Picture to show the size of my roast dinner compared to hubby’s! @Brunneria :joyful:)
Mid afternoon: mint carb killa bar and black coffee.
Tea (not at ILs this week as I couldn’t pull myself away from Wimbledon men’s singles final!): gouda and chorizo rollitos, cauliflower and broccoli salad, pork scratchings and a few mini silver skin onions followed by peanut halo top lolly.

View attachment 34299

Gammon looks great - is it like the Nigella cola gammon recipe?
Thanks for comparative photos too.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks maglil55, I’ll have a look at the cinnamon rolls. Trouble is I might not have much control over portion size.
Is the Swerve you use the granular sugar substitute or the ‘confectioner’s sugar’ one?
I use Monkfruit classic. I've become really fond of this sweetener. I use it for everything now.

Reactions: Viv19

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn’t follow a recipe! Just plonked the gammon joint in the slow cooker, poured 500mls of the Fanta zero over it and cooked on high for about six hours!

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was 2 slices of bacon and 2 scrambled eggs
Lunch - I was expecting 3 guests, only one turned up and she didn't want lunch, so I didn't have any either, but I did have a small slice of the apple cake I had made, as did she.
Dinner was the lunch I had intended to share - turmeric chicken with lemon. I didn't have any of the rice I had prepared though (it was a new experiment with toasted cumin seeds through it - I'll put it in the freezer for some other occasion).
My guest was surprised to learn that I am type 2 diabetic since I am on insulin. She had been diagnosed as diabetic years ago and only just taken off the clinic's list since her bs has been in the normal range for months now, even though she has never self tested, had medication or reduced her sugar intake. She had been told by her doctor and the clinic that insulin is only given to T1s. There is obviously still a lot of misinformation out there!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DJC3 - I tend not to favour sweet flavours/tones with meat, but I have read on the FB IP group of several doing cola gammon.

This cooking style conversion chart was posted yesterday, which I saved under "could be useful one day". I usually just wing it!

upload_2019-7-14_21-10-25.png

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t follow a recipe! Just plonked the gammon joint in the slow cooker, poured 500mls of the Fanta zero over it and cooked on high for about six hours!

That’s the sort of recipe I like! Did the orange flavour come through?

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: One of my gransdson leftover breakfast as he went out early and did not want anything. Microwaved the usual breakfast stuff.
Dinner: Corned silverside, boiled spudlites, mustard sauce. Silverside was a 4kgs piece that took a bit longer in the slowcooker, we gave it about seven hours, turned out nice and moist.
BreakfastL Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no additives, water.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s the sort of recipe I like! Did the orange flavour come through?
There was a very slight marmalady (if that’s a word?) smell but no real orangy taste. But it made for very tender meat. Plenty left for week day lunches :hungry:

Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really useful thank you.

Apparently, the IP is going to be in Prime Day, tomorrow and Tuesday. Don't know the price yet. I'd like the 3ltr, but if the price is right.....

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Vet interesting discussion about weights/sizes of portions. Reading people's menus and even seeing photos confuses the hell out of me. I analyse each day's meals through chronometer and see carbs, cals, vit and nutes. Obviously know my weight bg level and A1c but no idea what to tweak to end up with a better balance. The info may help but is there a magic formula to extrapolate from the size you gals are to me? Anyhow, sorry to intrude but this has been the bane of my life for about a year now. I am often told I don't eat enough but am pretty certain meal size wise I eat more than most posters but just don't recognise the feelings of satiety and happiness. Weights/sizes would perhaps be a start.
Get this all the time, you don't eat enough. Off course
the fact that I have been persistently losing weight tends to make this appear correct.
Vet interesting discussion about weights/sizes of portions. Reading people's menus and even seeing photos confuses the hell out of me. I analyse each day's meals through chronometer and see carbs, cals, vit and nutes. Obviously know my weight, bg level and A1c but no idea what to tweak to end up with a better balance. The info may help but is there a magic formula to extrapolate from the size you gals are to me? Anyhow, sorry to intrude but this has been the bane of my life for about a year now. I am often told I don't eat enough but am pretty certain meal size wise I eat more than most posters but just don't recognise the feelings of satiety and happiness. Weights/sizes would perhaps be a start.
Hi Ian,
Have you got the carbs and cals book/ap? That gives photos of different sized portions, with weights. As well as the carbs, cals etc. You might find it useful. Best wishes Liz

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get this all the time, you don't eat enough. Off course
the fact that I have been persistently losing weight tends to make this appear correct.

Hi Ian,
Have you got the carbs and cals book/ap? That gives photos of different sized portions, with weights. As well as the carbs, cals etc. You might find it useful. Best wishes Liz
Thanks for the advice. I have heard of cals and carbs but didn't realise about the pics and portion sizes. The problem may come if the foods shown are those I no longer want to eat - meat being a prime example. I am not really losing weight - hovver around 74 kgs - so that isn't an issue. Hope you find a way of stabilising your weight now you are in a country with imho better food.
Update: Just looked at reviews for this on google store. Android version panned and I am wholly Applephobic - visceral dislike,

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone in this thread is touchy about them as well, even a picture of them... :D
I've got used to Peter being there now.
Although someone vanished because they couldn't stand the picture (which I assume was Peter).
Can't say Australian snakes are cuddly either.

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday’s fare:
Breakfast: 1 cheese scone (2g carbs) split with butter, tea.
Lunch: Dressed crab with squeeze lemon juice. Disappointing treat.
Supper: half small spatchcock chicken, roasted stripy tomatoes.
Small wedge ripe Brie.
All too rich for me gave me a busy tummy. I am always best with simple fare.