Going Abroad

Aidey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it correct that my doctors surgery can charge me £35 for a letter to inform the airport that I am a type 1 diabetic and that I am carrying insulin and needles

Aidey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for that. I thought it was new thing as my doctor was happy to do it for nothing last year. Seems a shame that for having a condition that we didn't ask for they put a charge to it.

Aidey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Aidey unfortunately, this is not unusual.
However, quite a few people have found their hospital-based diabetes team will provide a letter for free.
If it has no dates, it can be used for every trip. After about 8 years, I had to ask for a replacement because mine was almost falling apart.

In 15 years with type 1 diabetes, I have only had to show my letter once. However, I will not travel without it and risk being refused to fly or refused to take my diabetes paraphernalia with me.
For this reason, my letter lives with my passport.
Thank you I will try my hospital team

Reactions: Fruitella

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for that. I thought it was new thing as my doctor was happy to do it for nothing last year. Seems a shame that for having a condition that we didn't ask for they put a charge to it.

£35 does seem a bit steep! I think it’s £15-20 with my GP. Hope you have more luck with the hospital.

Nomi

My hospital team do it for free. I recommend photocopying the letter too so you have a few in case you lose it.

Most airports are used to it now, but I always tell them I’m diabetic before my bag goes through the scanner. I once got pulled aside because they could see the circuit board in my meter and couldn’t work out what it was #oops