Newly Diagnosed

Mich71

Hi there looking for some advice

Diagnosed type 2 in May this year (GP querying possible type 1) not on any medication as yet, this morning I felt very ill very suddenly, stomach ache, shaking, sweating (it was pouring off me) very nauseous, thought I was going to pass out, needed help to get from bathroom to bedroom! Was this a hypo or hyper? I lay down for awile & it passed left with a horrible headache. Got a real scare have to admit. Sorry to sound so naive, It's all new to me

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mich and welcome to the forum.
Here’s some useful info we give to Newly Diagnosed:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
With out a blood glucose meter to test we can only guess what your levels were during this ‘episode’. However it is most unlikely to be hypo as your aren’t on medication and diabetes, of any type is a problem with high blood sugars.
What have you done to reduce your blood sugars since diagnosis, have you changed what you eat?
And most importantly not every sign or symptom we suffer from can be attributed to diabetes, there are many other things that can cause symptoms such as this, please see your Dr if it happens again.

Reactions: Mich71

Mich71

Thank you for your reply, I have completely overhauled my diet, eating very little carbs now. I am a bit in limbo as still undergoing tests

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your reply, I have completely overhauled my diet, eating very little carbs now. I am a bit in limbo as still undergoing tests
Going low carb is a good move. Many of us Type 2s have slashed out carb intake and achieved and maintain non diabetic blood sugars and HbA1cs. I would encourage you to get yourself a blood glucose meter to keep an eye on your levels, especially if there is a possibility of Type 1 still.
We can advise on meters if you decide to buy one.

Reactions: Mich71

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First thing I did after my episode this morning was to order one (on advice from diabetic friend)
Best purchase you'll make this year, because without it, there's no way of knowing whether you're hypo or hyper, as they tend to pretty much feel the same. (Bottom line: Horrible!). And good on you for starting low carb. It does get easier, eventually, especially once you know what's up, T1, T2, Mody, Lada or... And you're not alone, we're right here if you need anything.

Macspiffing

BANNED
Hi Mich71, very hard to work out as someone else mentioned, not knowing what your blood glucose levels are, possible prediabetes if not prescribed medication?, I imagine you would have been prescribed medication as I was when diagnosed, or maybe not everyone does, this is all new to me too. I think having a meter to test how your body reacts to different foods will be really useful to you, it was for me, just dont eat something or prepare food and not wash your hands then test like I done, I had numerous false high readings after eating apples then testing, I still do it sometimes :p, they gave me one when I was diagnosed in March this year, again maybe some regions or some people dont get them for reasons Im not aware of yet. Oh you maybe not in UK.

You sound like you are taking this head on with your lifestyle changes and ordering a meter, I wish you the very best success as I have had!