Jardiance - any good news stories out there?

Sp00n

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently been put on Jardiance due to having side effects from metformin (made me feel really ill). After some googling to be honest I am now terrified, reading all these stories of intractable thrush, ketoacidosis and even people's gentitals turning black with bacteria and needing to be amputated!! Please could I have some good news stories from some of you who are no doubt taking this drug?

FYI I took my first one yesterday and my BS was already down from 14-17 to 10 last night and was 11 this morning (my BS always goes up in the night). I've been low-carbing but it doesn't take my BS down to normal levels unfortunately, but am planning to still do it on this medication. I'm not strict low carb as it makes me feel terrible for little reduction in my BS.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently been put on Jardiance due to having side effects from metformin (made me feel really ill). After some googling to be honest I am now terrified, reading all these stories of intractable thrush, ketoacidosis and even people's gentitals turning black with bacteria and needing to be amputated!! Please could I have some good news stories from some of you who are no doubt taking this drug?

No, sorry. I stopped taking it after reading about the FDA fears.

https://headlinehealth.com/flesh-eating-genital-infection-caused-by-jardiance-fda/

SimonCrox

The good news is from the EMPA-REG trial which showed that the chance of heart attack or stroke or renal impairment was significantly reduced by empagliflozin. These are useful outcomes, but also weight and blood pressure go down .

I understand your worries about the other things.

The risk of amputations was seen mainly in the canagliflozin study, but seems to be a slightly increased risk on any of this class of drug; but the risk is still small and the amputations are generally toes, not wanting to trivialise the problem. It is more common if one has hardening of arteries to feet so worth checking this; having said this, folk with hardening of arteris to feet are at increased risk of heart attack and stroke so might have more to gain from decreasing these risks with empagliflozin - swings and roundabouts. A french study looking at diuretic use (not at jardiance etc) showed that diuretic use was associated with amputations, so perhaps the problem works by decreasing the circulating blood volume ie less blodd in system to circulate to toes. So here, for me, the message is stick to the license ie do not mix with diuretics, and as always, one needs to keep an eye on feet and seek help at first sign of any bother.

The uro-genital infections are complex. Urinary tract infections are as common on these drugs as on placebo since poorly controlled diabetes is also a risk factor for UTI, but I don't know of an active comparison with another class of tablet. Thrush is a bother; this generally responds to cream eg canestan or daktarin, but can be really diffiuclt - this is rare, but at times the only resource is to stop the jardiance etc. Note if your GP wants to give you some fluconazole capsules for thrush (which are really effective) these do not mix well with statins. The risk of perineal necrotising fascititis AKA Fournier's gangrene AKA genitals turning black is overstated; the risk is low overall in the whole population and this risk is increased by being male, over 60 and by being diabetic; the extra risk from jardiance etc is minimal and just being diabetic is probably the greatest risk. But again, the message is that in diabetic people, if there is evidence of any infection anywhere, seek medical help ASAP.

It is important to highlight problems with drugs so that one can be informed, aware and look out for them, but often newspapers go for sensationalism and do not put things in perspective.

The DKA issue is twofold; firstly people with type 1 diabetes seem to get DKA on these drugs and it is not sure why, but this is another reason to stick to license. Thes econd problem is that one gets a slightly odd variety of DKA called euglycaemic DKA whereby the glucose levels are unremarkeable. So in folk on jardiance etc, if they are unwell, one needs to check the blood ketone levels. Overall, this is not a common problem and was not seen in the Empa-Reg trial. Although Empa-Reg and the Canvas studies were heart attack prevention studies, they give a lot of information about other problems of interest, and put things in perspective

Best wishes

Last edited:

Sp00n

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Simon for replying - no other replies from people taking it with no problems though ☹️ Perhaps quiet due to festivities!
Wish I could control my BS without meds Squire Fulwood but I can’t. Metformin made me swell, cloudy brain, constant stabbing stomach pain and bowel problems - if I low carbed I was constantly dry heaving with the fat and if I had normal carbs I was farting sulphur and I wasn’t able to lose weight without starving myself. The three weeks I’ve had off meds I’ve felt better than I have in years and lost 10lb but my BS has been high despite LCHF. Such a frustrating disease!!

Peaches20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve just seen this post now. I was put on Jardiance at beginning of Dec 2018 and my experience hasn’t been good. Like yourself I couldn’t tolerate Metformin, Gliclazide or Forxiga so Jardiance was prescribed. From moment I started taking it I found I was urinating more but then 24 hours later from first dose I got a sore throat followed by a nasty cold so not sure if it was linked. I stopped taking it then restarted in New Year. Within a week what I thought was back pain (I have a pre-existing back injury) got worse. I started low-carb as well and my readings dropped from the high 7s to between low 4s & 5s. I was really pleased. Except the back pain got worse and last Saturday (12/01) woke up shivering, temp was 35.6. Debated going to A&E, but ended taking paracetamol and luckily managed to get an appt with a GP for first thing Monday. From reading online I knew it was a Urinary Tract infection. Never had one in my life but this infection has totally wiped me out. I stopped taking Jardiance last Sunday. Got a telling off from the GP that my urine was full of sugar. I didn’t have the energy to explain that I’d had a can of tomato soup the night before because I was so ill that I couldn’t get up to cook. Anyway thanked her and quietly left with a prescription for 3 days antibiotics. At no point did she tell me to stop Jardiance even though UTIs are the most common side effects with this med. I thought I felt better until last night started feeling feverish, I put that down to having walked in the bitterly cold weather. Woke up an hour ago and took temp and reading is 35.8. I’m frightened the infection is still lingering in my body and now debating whether to start taking Jardiance again after not taking it for a week. So that’s my experience.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

FYI I took my first one yesterday and my BS was already down from 14-17 to 10 last night and was 11 this morning (my BS always goes up in the night). I've been low-carbing but it doesn't take my BS down to normal levels unfortunately, but am planning to still do it on this medication. I'm not strict low carb as it makes me feel terrible for little reduction in my BS.
I was on jardiance 10mg/day till about 3 months ago, and was even happier when later I read about DKAs and what have you. I'm a 'the fewer meds the better' girl, immediate side effects or not, and I have to say that jardiance didn't really cause me any, apart from the very rare bout of thrush. I do believe that I'm one of the lucky ones who're quite side effect resistant to almost any drug, though. I'm beginning to suspect metformin for causing recent tummy upsets, so skipped my 500mg last night and FBG this morning was 4.7, so might try that again for a few days.
I'm ketoing, just fyi. Wish that were a possibility for you.
Edited to add: I see you posted 3 weeks ago, and wonder if you're on jardiance now and how it works for you?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve just seen this post now. I was put on Jardiance at beginning of Dec 2018 and my experience hasn’t been good. Like yourself I couldn’t tolerate Metformin, Gliclazide or Forxiga so Jardiance was prescribed. From moment I started taking it I found I was urinating more but then 24 hours later from first dose I got a sore throat followed by a nasty cold so not sure if it was linked. I stopped taking it then restarted in New Year. Within a week what I thought was back pain (I have a pre-existing back injury) got worse. I started low-carb as well and my readings dropped from the high 7s to between low 4s & 5s. I was really pleased. Except the back pain got worse and last Saturday (12/01) woke up shivering, temp was 35.6. Debated going to A&E, but ended taking paracetamol and luckily managed to get an appt with a GP for first thing Monday. From reading online I knew it was a Urinary Tract infection. Never had one in my life but this infection has totally wiped me out. I stopped taking Jardiance last Sunday. Got a telling off from the GP that my urine was full of sugar. I didn’t have the energy to explain that I’d had a can of tomato soup the night before because I was so ill that I couldn’t get up to cook. Anyway thanked her and quietly left with a prescription for 3 days antibiotics. At no point did she tell me to stop Jardiance even though UTIs are the most common side effects with this med. I thought I felt better until last night started feeling feverish, I put that down to having walked in the bitterly cold weather. Woke up an hour ago and took temp and reading is 35.8. I’m frightened the infection is still lingering in my body and now debating whether to start taking Jardiance again after not taking it for a week. So that’s my experience.
@ShazDean a temp of 35.8 seems quite low possibly verging on the edge of hypothermia. Have you considered ringing 111 for advice? Hope you feel better soon

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke up an hour ago and took temp and reading is 35.8. I’m frightened the infection is still lingering in my body

A temp of 35.8 is quite low, although for some people this is normal. I would expect that with an infection your temperature would be high - 37.5 or above. Is your thermometer working properly?

Peaches20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ShazDean a temp of 35.8 seems quite low possibly verging on the edge of hypothermia. Have you considered ringing 111 for advice? Hope you feel better soon

Hi I’ve taken my temperature few minutes ago and it’s 36.6 so it’s within ‘normal’ according to the NHS website. Took dose of Jardiance and had some steamed chicken with veg. All seems ok at the moment. Thank you for your kind words. Means a lot.

Peaches20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A temp of 35.8 is quite low, although for some people this is normal. I would expect that with an infection your temperature would be high - 37.5 or above. Is your thermometer working properly?

Hi, I took temp few minutes ago and it’s 36.6 and I’m not feeling shivery or feverish. Even took dose of Jardiance and some lunch. All seems ok for time being - fingers crossed. Thank you.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I dont read studies so havent read any bad news.

I really liked it because it worked, I also had zero side effects.

DSN stopped me taking it due to high keytones which I think was unrelated to Jardiance but I am trying to be compliant.

Wouldnt mind still being on it one bit, maybe I was just lucky, no idea

Sp00n

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all - reporting back - been taking Jardiance since the end of Dec, no real side effects apart from cystitisy feelings the first day or so then all settled down. So far so good. HOWEVER just had HBA1C done on 16th April and it has gone UP from 72 to 75! So no effect on my BS.
To add to this a week ago I had a horrible bout of thrush, so as soon as I had my HBA1C done I stopped taking it to give the thrush time to go (with the tablets you buy over the counter).
So back to sqaure one. Wonder what they'll try me with next?!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - reporting back - been taking Jardiance since the end of Dec, no real side effects apart from cystitisy feelings the first day or so then all settled down. So far so good. HOWEVER just had HBA1C done on 16th April and it has gone UP from 72 to 75! So no effect on my BS.
To add to this a week ago I had a horrible bout of thrush, so as soon as I had my HBA1C done I stopped taking it to give the thrush time to go (with the tablets you buy over the counter).

That's a bit of a bummer for you. :arghh:

Have you tried diet? Most medications are intended to work alongside a suitable diet. Can you tell us what a typical day's food is, and maybe we can help you. Also, are you testing your blood glucose levels at home with a meter?

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Re the thrush, I bought the cream in a 6 pack from ebay I think it was. Same strength but very good price.

Sp00n

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys - diet has little to no effect whatever I do (see previous posts - was low carbing and my bs was still going up). I’m allergic to antifungal creams but thanks for the tip- someone else may find it useful. I used to get upset about it but now I’m like ‘meh’ . Don’t test anymore as again, it was consistently high whatever I ate (no particular food seemed to make any difference). ‍♀️

Sp00n

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK latest update - been to GP, now been put on Gliclazide and told to test and go back for HBA1C in August.

Sp00n

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Latest update - HBA1c continues to climb despite low carb, gliclizide etc, now 80. Also losing weight. Back to the GP I go next week. FML.

Sp00n

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What on earth were you eating?
Err I was following the LCHF guidelines as advised by my X-Pert Health training course provided by my GP. I cannot tolerate much fat because I don't have a gall bladder. I don't see why I should have to explain myself to you but there you go, I have anyway.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Err I was following the LCHF guidelines as advised by my X-Pert Health training course provided by my GP. I cannot tolerate much fat because I don't have a gall bladder. I don't see why I should have to explain myself to you but there you go, I have anyway.
I do think bulkbiker was trying to be helpful, maybe you misread. They certainly weren't being rude.

Reactions: bulkbiker